cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

'13- 2500HD Tire Shopping

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning on new tires within then next month or so, and have it narrowed down to a few possibilities. Truck is stock, no leveling kit, and t-bars are still at factory adjustment. I don't plan on going with a (much) larger than stock tire as we have a fairly heavy tt (~9200lbs loaded), so don't want to change the ratio to much.

We also travel to Northern Michigan and Northern Ontario (Soo area) to go snowmobiling. The cabin in Ont is in the bush, about an hour to get to once through Soo customs....

Stock 265/60/20 is a pain to find an AT tire in. Found a few, but wish there was more available choices!!!

The leading contenders are:

Cooper A/T3: Had a set for on our '10-1500 and loved them!!! Great tire in all conditions, dry, rain, snow, ice, etc.. Mud was the only condition I never had them in (not counting dirt roads). Stock size, about $200 more than the ATP.

Cooper ATP: Have heard and read awesome things about this tire, but slightly concerned the little larger lug vs the A/T3 will cause it to not be as good of a tire in the wet, sloppy snow. Had a set of the Cooper ST's and wasn't that impressed in that type of snow. They would actually push at intersections when trying to turn. The A/T3's never did that. But I know there is a big difference in the tread pattern and tread size vs the ST model. Stock Size, about $200 cheaper vs the A/T3.

Slightly behind the two Coopers:

Pro Comp AT Sport: Very new tire, little reviews available and the few there are, haven't found any for snow conditions. 275/60/20, ever so slightly larger.... Any idea who make the PC tires? I have heard/ read possibly Cooper, but can't find a definitive answer. About the same price as the A/T3 if I remember correctly.

All three of these have a 55k or 60k mi tread warranty, which is a selling feature.

I would consider the BFG AT and the Toyo Open Country AT II if they were available in the right size. Have also considered the DuraTrac, but it may be a little more aggressive than I want/need. Other downside is the lack of a tread warranty. Have considered the Wrangler Adventure, but maybe this is also the lack of looking at the DuraTrac closer, I am not a big fan of GY tires.....

I have also considered going to an 18" rim for more tire choices, but after the cost of new rims (even oem take offs...) not sure this is really worth it. If I bought 18" rims, the Open Country AT II would be right there in he mix with the Coopers, and the BFG slightly behind due to no tread life warranty.

So if anyone has any insight on comparing these tires, all help is appreciated!!!

TY!!!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.
24 REPLIES 24

Fireman02
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the aweful firestones that came on my truck w/ Cooper ATP' s in 275/65/20's last winter. They've been great in rain and snow so far.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7 Big Horn auto: 20% tint, Line-x, etc..
2013 Springdale 303bhssr

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
I had Cooper AT3s on my pickup in Alaska. They were acceptable performers on hard pack and loose snow, bobtail or pulling a snomachine trailer. Good as any average AT tire IMO.
They stunk on warm/wet/greasy snow packed roads. but most tires do unless heavily siped, studded and low pressure.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

trailerbikecamp
Explorer
Explorer
I have an older 2500. I currently have Yokohama Geolander on mine. Have found the tread life warranty to be what I wanted. Get good traction in all sorts of conditions, from heavy rain to heavy wet snow. Quiet on the highway, and they handle my 14,000lb 5'er without complaint.

Just rotated the tires front to back after 2 yrs (40,000km). Still have lots of tread left, just wanted to balance out the wear on all four tires.

Mine are different size though, mine are 265/70 R17.
Dan

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
LIKE2BUILD wrote:
I've used Firestone Transforce AT tires for years with great results. Traction is very good and they wear very well.

While I just sang praises for the Tforce ATs on my truck from a durability standpoint.
Traction is not something they excel at.......at all.
Horrible recommendation for towing in the winter. Maybe if you siped them they'd be acceptable. But even new, they are not good snow tires.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
I've used Firestone Transforce AT tires for years with great results. Traction is very good and they wear very well.
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
May not help you much, but if possible, have a set of winters and summers to switch out for whichever season and if possible as well, have each set mounted on their own rims. That way you can get a really good snow tire for traction and equal summer tire. In my experience, all seasons just don't cut the mustard and AT are okay, but you have to compromise with them despite the AT claims. Probly get blasted on this, but this is MO.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

JustLabs
Explorer
Explorer
Cooper AT3 would be my choice.

They're made in the U.S. and get rave reviews.
2011 Chevrolet 2500HD LTZ 4x4 CCLB Duramax/Allison
2007 Keystone Cougar 289BHS Fifth Wheel.

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
michelin ltx
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
I have the BFG KO2s on my 2013 F350 I use for my landscape business. Won't buy them again. 285-70-17 E rated. They offer excellent traction and a good ride. But I'm just a little over 20,000 miles and they will have to be replaced before winter weather arrives. I can't justify $1200 for 25,000 mile tires.

No mileage warranty either.

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
On a GM site I frequent, I've read good things about Coopers (not sure of version), BFG KO2, and Duratecs. I know those weren't necessarily the ones you are looking at, but those seem to be some of the more popular ones.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10