cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

16' Keystone Passport cold weather camping Q

speedy72vega
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, new member and new RV'er here. My wife and I recently purchased a Keystone Passport Ulrta Light that is an extended season trailer. My question is this: I am planning on going camping over the New Years weekend in NW Oregon. The average temps at that time of year seem to be around 40f in the day, dropping to mid-high 20's at night. From what I have read here, I will be adding anti freeze to gray and black holding tanks and run off of my fresh water tank. The thing that I am concerned about is the fresh water tank drain. It's a small hose, probably 3/8" ID hose with a plastic cap on the bottom, it sticks down about 4 or 5" below the bottom of the trailer. I am worried about the water freezing in that hose and breaking it, I would appreciate some feedback from the seasoned RV'ers here, thanks.
14 REPLIES 14

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have done a lot of cold weather camping in my little trailer -- no heated underbelly. The tanks hang down in the open air. And I have never had a problem in freezing weather until last week, when temps got down to 11 degrees. Temps in the mid to high 20s will be no problem at all -- you don't need to do anything (other than dress warmly).
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

speedy72vega
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies everyone, all good info.

Arcamper
Explorer
Explorer
My last trailer and the new one have the fresh tank drain hose hanging down. If there is water in the tank then there is water in the hose. I put a piece of the foam pipe insulation on it and a couple of zip ties. It will not hurt a thing and even though I have not heard of problems without insulating it. That cap is hard plastic and could crack.
2016 Montana 3100RL Legacy(LT's,Joy Rider 2's,disc brakes)
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Cummins/Aisin 14,000 GVWR
2014 Ford Expedition Limited, HD tow pkg
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
1999 Stingray 240LS
1994 Chevy 1500 5.7 PU
2018 John Deere 1025R
B&W RVK3600 Hitch

Jimbee
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Speedy,
If your Passport is like mine the fresh water tank is located above the floor under the bed up front, shouldn't be an issue in the Fall with freezing. Bring electric heaters and blankets and enjoy!

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
My 15 Keystone Premier has a heated underbelly. I'd think if you were at full hookups, were actively using the trailer and had the heat on when it was below freezing that you shouldn't have any issues. They also sell a heated hose if you wanted/needed to hook up to water at the campground. They go for about $100. I've never used one, but considered getting it if I took my TT to MD in December. If yours is an "extended season" trailer, I'm sure you have a heated underbelly as well. Check your paperwork or the brochure. I'd bet you have that option.
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

N7SJN
Explorer
Explorer
As someone who has spent more than his share of single digit TT living I have never had a problem with the drain tubes. I'm sure they freeze solid but I have never had an occasion to drain in freezing weather. I have other posts that cover cold weather living in a TT.

speedy72vega
Explorer
Explorer
I read in another thread that some TT's have the ducting from the heater going under the floor to warm the tanks, does anyone know if the Passport has this type of heating? My trailer has ducted heat, one duct in the bedroom at the foot of the bed, one in the panel under the fridge right next to the power panel where the furnace is, and another duct in front of the kitchen sink cabinet.
The air from the round outlet at the furnace blows lots of air but not too much comes out of the floor ducts. I read where someone suggested that some of the air is diverted to the tanks. Have any of you heard of this or have experience with this? Thanks again.

speedy72vega
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
speedy72vega wrote:
Any thoughts on the fresh water drain tube? Should I put some kind of insulation over it just in case?

My trailer also has a drain tube for the fresh water, maybe sticks out 3" from the belly. the valve for the drain is inside the cabin of the trailer, so its just an empty tube sticking "outside" - nothing to freeze as long as the heat's on inside.

where is the valve for your drain, is it inside or outside your trailer?

I will try looking inside to see if I can find a valve anywhere, thanks for the advice.

speedy72vega
Explorer
Explorer
ZeeLet50 wrote:
If its like my passport, the cap is the valve. When you unscrew it water comes out. I would try to put some kind of insulation over that hose and hope that the warmer water in the tank helps keep it from freezing. other option is to install a valve as close to the top of drain hose or put one inside the trailer. The later would be a pain as I assume your water tank is under the bed and pump and fittings are beneath the side nightstand. This involves removing the top cover to access.

Yes, mine has the cap also, no valve that I can see. As soon as I remove the cap, water drains out of it.
I was thinking about going to Home Depot and getting some of that water heater pipe foam insulation and putting it over the hose just as a precaution.
I'm not sure exactly where the tank is in relation to the bed, my TT has the front bedroom with rear living room, 24 1/2'. The fresh water fitting on the outside of the trailer is about where the bathroom sink is.
I may be being a bit over cautious, but I just don't want to have problems with my new trailer, especially ones that I could've possibly avoided.

ZeeLet50
Explorer
Explorer
If its like my passport, the cap is the valve. When you unscrew it water comes out. I would try to put some kind of insulation over that hose and hope that the warmer water in the tank helps keep it from freezing. other option is to install a valve as close to the top of drain hose or put one inside the trailer. The later would be a pain as I assume your water tank is under the bed and pump and fittings are beneath the side nightstand. This involves removing the top cover to access.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
speedy72vega wrote:
Any thoughts on the fresh water drain tube? Should I put some kind of insulation over it just in case?

My trailer also has a drain tube for the fresh water, maybe sticks out 3" from the belly. the valve for the drain is inside the cabin of the trailer, so its just an empty tube sticking "outside" - nothing to freeze as long as the heat's on inside.

where is the valve for your drain, is it inside or outside your trailer?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

speedy72vega
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies, good to know about the anti freeze. We are going to be staying at a campsite that has full hookups, so as long as there are no problems at the campground, power shouldn't be an issue. I can carry 40 lbs of propane in 2 tanks, hopefully that will be enough.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
No need to waste your money on antifreeze in the holding tanks. Biggest worry is going to be propane. Be sure the gas tanks are full, you have lots of blankets, warm clothes, and lots of power. Youll need them all.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
speedy72vega wrote:
From what I have read here, I will be adding anti freeze to gray and black holding tanks and run off of my fresh water tank.
If you mean RV AF, no, it doesn't work too well when diluted. For those temps you can safely keep water in your holding tanks.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman