cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 women travelers and RV newbies totally confused!

Glamazon
Explorer
Explorer
My brain is about to explode! Me and my partner are going to buy a RV. I have a Ford F 350 Super Duty truck. We've decided to go with a Travel trailer. For the most part it will just be the 2 of us doing weekend/vacation travel. We are trying to find the right trailer, but there are just so many to choose from.

Our concerns are: Are some models easier to hitch and unhitch than others? Is this something two women will have much problem doing themselves?

We will for the most part travel just the two of us. I don't need a bunch of bunks, but I'd prefer some extra bathroom and kitchen space and comfortable seating .

We have a Harley we'd like to take a long. I see several different options for hauling motorcycles..what's the easiest and cheapest option?

Anyone have any recommendations or favorite brands you'd think would suit our needs? I had been looking at Keystone and Dutchmen? But seriously, we haven't got a clue in hell what we're doing. Any feedback would be appreciated.
43 REPLIES 43

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
You might look into sistersonthefly.com. These ladies were having a rally at an RV park we were recently at and looked to be having a ball.
Others to look at:
womenrv.com
rvingwomen.org

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Get a motorhome and save yourself a lot work and grief. Motorhomes are much easier to drive and set up than a truck/trailer combo.

Good luck!

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Glamazon wrote:
Is this something two women will have much problem doing themselves?

:S

Only if the "two women" are June Cleaver and Harriet Nelson.

Betty White could do it by herself with her eyes closed and a fifth of bourbon in her.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

dclaarjr
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my TT at Young's in Fremont, OH.

After talking with many others when I was looking they are the best at listening to what you want rather than selling what they want.

Give them a call and tell them your concerns. I'm sure they can help.

rjf7g
Explorer
Explorer
Go to an RV show and talk to as many people (not sales people) about what they like and don't like about the rigs you see and think you like. A great dealer is worth his or her weight in gold - I have one in Virginia if you want to come for a visit. I have sent newbie friends his way and he has sold them campers that their vehicles could safely tow (and stop), the hitches that they needed and then spent a half day riding around with one of them while he figured out how to pull and back a trailer! You can't beat that for service. My dealer's response, "The car that novice comes up on on the highway might be hauling my grandkids. I want to make sure he knows how to drive the rig first!"
1999 American Cruiser Class B
2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS Park Trailer

SprinklerMan
Explorer
Explorer
Go rent a cabin at a campground , walk around and talk to people , ask questions , and look . The guys will show you the differences . Drag along a cooler of beer ...cold

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
Glamazon wrote:
Thanks so much! So fifth wheelers are easier to hitch and unhitch? I had been concerned that when we weren't using the hitch it would be too heavy for us to ever get out of the back of the truck. Where do you go to get the FW hitch installed usually?

I'll start googlin' toy haulers too! 🙂

Most 5er hitches,come apart in smaller pieces......easy to remove,store.

Please,continue to research....dont go by one persons view, ask a dealer,to drive a unit....from their lot,with their truck,hitch........a reputable dealer,will do this,with them along of course.
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

BigBoy11
Explorer
Explorer
If you get connected to the right dealer, they will have hitches appropriate for the rig you buy. Your F350 probably already has a brake controller but if not, the dealer can do that too. Just make sure to do your research ahead of time so you can get a good (not the cheapest necessarily) price from a reputable dealer that has a good service department and gives you adequate training and instruction before you ever leave their lot. And find one or more of the comprehensive PDI (pre-delivery inspection lists) so you can make sure everything works like it is supposed to and you uncover any issues with the unit BEFORE you take delivery so they can be adressed upfront. Good luck and happy shopping!

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Glamazon wrote:
My brain is about to explode! Me and my partner are going to buy a RV. I have a Ford F 350 Super Duty truck. We've decided to go with a Travel trailer. For the most part it will just be the 2 of us doing weekend/vacation travel. We are trying to find the right trailer, but there are just so many to choose from.

Our concerns are: Are some models easier to hitch and unhitch than others? Is this something two women will have much problem doing themselves?

We will for the most part travel just the two of us. I don't need a bunch of bunks, but I'd prefer some extra bathroom and kitchen space and comfortable seating .

We have a Harley we'd like to take a long. I see several different options for hauling motorcycles..what's the easiest and cheapest option?

Anyone have any recommendations or favorite brands you'd think would suit our needs? I had been looking at Keystone and Dutchmen? But seriously, we haven't got a clue in hell what we're doing. Any feedback would be appreciated.

May I suggest educating yourselves before even getting to a decision? Straight out of the box people saying fifth wheel, toyhauler, you got an F-350, it'll tow anything!

First thing to consider is your budget, as in how much do you want to spend on an RV? Yes you have a one ton truck, but it is possible to go "too big" on the RV. If you want to take your Harley along, a toyhauler would be the ideal way to do it. Keep in mind a fifth wheel toyhauler will run you more money than a travel trailer toyhauler.

Go to RV shows in your area. They are a good way to see product offerings and floorplans. Remember though, shows are also intended to sell product, so resist that urge until you have a good idea of what you want. I went to a lot of RV shows looking until I bought my first one (a fifth wheel) and now own a travel trailer because we just weren't using the fifth wheel like we envisioned; put another way, we had more trailer than we needed. But yeah, fifth wheel or bumper pull, you can do it! Happy hunting!

Glamazon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much! So fifth wheelers are easier to hitch and unhitch? I had been concerned that when we weren't using the hitch it would be too heavy for us to ever get out of the back of the truck. Where do you go to get the FW hitch installed usually?

I'll start googlin' toy haulers too! 🙂

3_0charlie
Explorer
Explorer
Why not a small FW toy hauler, since you have a F350? Space in the garage for the HD, roomy interior and ease of hitching up compared to a TT. The 350 should have plenty of payload to haul most THs.

A model as an example that comes to mind is my neighbor's FW TH: Forest River Hyperlite 30HFS5

edit: great minds think alike.. 😉
John, DW and 4 kids.
2013 Kodiak 263RLSL
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 Hybrid

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a off the wall idea.....get a Toy Hauler,that way,when tbe bike is outside,you have a lot more room.

Now,I know you said,,,aT.T.,,,,,,,,,,,but,a 5er is easier to hook-up,tows smoother,ie less zero sway, More choices onfloor plans.

These are my ideals,since you are starting from scratch....
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,M in ohio also ,canton area, I think you need to go talk to a dealer ,not the sales person, but a manager or owner ,to get some experience. on rv,s .

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Arctic Fox has a great rutation.