Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2005 - F250 diesel - your opinon please

gschindel
Explorer
Explorer
Hi
A friend's dad is selling a 2005 F-250 diesel - larriet 4x4 with an off road package. It has 150,000 Km but I know he took very good care of it. He is asking $17,000 Canadian. We would be replacing an 05 Durango with 260,000 Km - Has been a good vehicle but the higher millage is scaring me a bit to trust it very far.

What do you think of the F250? Did ford make a good diesel/tranny? Would this be a good choice for a pull vehicle and a daily driver to replace my wife's durango? - are they fairly reliable? - decent cost to opperate as long as major problems don't come up? She drives 20 on the minutes on the highway each way to work.

I know it would easily handle the 30' bullet TT that we have know. Would it be enough truck to someday pull a moderate sized 5th wheel?

Hadn't realy been looking for another vehicle but this one just came up and he just listed it today. If its a good deal on a good truck I wouldn't want to let it go.

Thanks much for the time.
31 REPLIES 31

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hank85713 wrote:
You are from canada and I do not think you have the stupid emisions rules as we do here. They are good trucks and the engine can be a good one. All brands have their issues.

I have had new head gaskets (not really needed), but I needed a new oil cooler and egr due to high temps between them (EOT & ECT). So while it was down for the repair I had the guy do all the necessary upgrades. He installed a BP egr and an OEM oil cooler, ARP head studs and he brought the truck up to all the latest in ford TSB's. Cost about $4000. She runs very well and pulls our TT without issues. Fuel mileage empty in the 18mpg range, towing depending on terrain about 12. The transmission is one of the best in the industry and very dependable. I run a hypertech economiser tune and have installed a 4 inch turbo back exhaust system. We have the emission gimmick here so I still have ethe cat in the system.

As we just purchased an MH, I was looking for one with the diesel in it, found a couple but not what was wanted but the engines were in good shape. Go to powerstroke.org and read up there on the 6.0 and what it could take to make bullet proof. My brother in law just test drove a new PSD and said it did not hold a candle to his 6.0 so he is not going for a new truck and he works his hard 100000+ miles on it and he does not keep up with the maintenance, and he has had all the problems as a result. So do your research and keep your eyes open. Get a scan gauge to check for known problems like the EOT/ECT deltas. If you get the gauge drive it for about 20 miles after it is fully warmed up at 65 MPH (100 kmh?) and check for no more than a 15 deg split.

like many i believe with all the acronyms posted on the diesel and other sites some of us are not sure what they mean..

for instance what is EOT/ECT and why is 15 deg good.

I have figure out EGT, exhaust gas temp,and some other but a lot of people do not know what they mean.. so maybe we can post the meaning of the acronyms so all can enjoy the expertise of the post.
Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yellermanx wrote:
gschindel wrote:

So would it pull a moderate sized 5th wheel?

Bone stock except for Timbrens.

At 16.5K with a pin of 3,300 to 4,000# IMHO too much RV for any 250/2500 even with Timbrins.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
gschindel wrote:
Thanks for the comments
i've been doing some reading on the 6.0 problems. Most seem to say that if the engine wasn't modified and was treated right the problems are fewer. Also if you do a few mods - EGR delete, a different oil cooler, ARP studs and new gaskets that you can prevent most major problems. True? Has anyone had experience with this first hand?

I had a 2004 with the 6.0L and 3.73 gears. I pulled a Jayco Fiver and it pulled it fine. Like others I bought mine new and never had the plethora of issues that were visited on many owners. I ran it stock and maintained it religiously. After nine years it was still going strong when I traded it. If you know how the truck was maintained and if it is still stock you are probably good to go.
2015 Grand Design Solitude 320X
2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
You are from canada and I do not think you have the stupid emisions rules as we do here. They are good trucks and the engine can be a good one. All brands have their issues.

I have had new head gaskets (not really needed), but I needed a new oil cooler and egr due to high temps between them (EOT & ECT). So while it was down for the repair I had the guy do all the necessary upgrades. He installed a BP egr and an OEM oil cooler, ARP head studs and he brought the truck up to all the latest in ford TSB's. Cost about $4000. She runs very well and pulls our TT without issues. Fuel mileage empty in the 18mpg range, towing depending on terrain about 12. The transmission is one of the best in the industry and very dependable. I run a hypertech economiser tune and have installed a 4 inch turbo back exhaust system. We have the emission gimmick here so I still have ethe cat in the system.

As we just purchased an MH, I was looking for one with the diesel in it, found a couple but not what was wanted but the engines were in good shape. Go to powerstroke.org and read up there on the 6.0 and what it could take to make bullet proof. My brother in law just test drove a new PSD and said it did not hold a candle to his 6.0 so he is not going for a new truck and he works his hard 100000+ miles on it and he does not keep up with the maintenance, and he has had all the problems as a result. So do your research and keep your eyes open. Get a scan gauge to check for known problems like the EOT/ECT deltas. If you get the gauge drive it for about 20 miles after it is fully warmed up at 65 MPH (100 kmh?) and check for no more than a 15 deg split.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
phemens wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Come on, are you really trying to say you did not this post?

Or do something like this?
:R

Maybe you should check the author names first?
Um, that ain't me! I'm still waiting in that other thread to confirm that it's a 7.3.
Sheesh, some people are overly suspicious of us Canucks...

:h :h :h

Aaaaaaaa I never said you were the same OP.

Your thread was just a few below the OP's original thread. I would have thought he would have seen it and read about the same engine you asked about. Guess not?

A simple Google search would have brought up terabyts of reading on this problematic engine.

OP yes, if you put a good set of headgaskets in the engine and do a few other mods like EGR delete and ARP's it goes a long ways to prevent you from sitting along side of the road.

But as Scott pointed out, smog regs are getting tighter and tighter and could come to your area at any time. Just be informed!
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you can buy it really cheap (which is what they should go for) and spend 5k to bullet proof it, they are not that bad. Trick is to do it right with someone that knows their stuff.

They tow well, behind a wrecker, so it is not for the faint of heart.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
By now you have read of all the troubles this eng had and know what can happen. The deletes help but do you really want to do this when emissions testing can come to your area any time?
It all boils down to how much your willing to take a chance.

Yellermanx
Explorer
Explorer
gschindel wrote:

Bone stock except for Timbrens.

gschindel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the comments
i've been doing some reading on the 6.0 problems. Most seem to say that if the engine wasn't modified and was treated right the problems are fewer. Also if you do a few mods - EGR delete, a different oil cooler, ARP studs and new gaskets that you can prevent most major problems. True? Has anyone had experience with this first hand?

Yellermanx
Explorer
Explorer
Bought an 05 F-250 6.0 new and still have it. Engine has been flawless. Some people have had problems but the vast majority do not. Next time you are out notice how many are going down the road. Never see any on the side of the road.

Internet:R

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Maybe you should check the author names first?
Um, that ain't me! I'm still waiting in that other thread to confirm that it's a 7.3.
Sheesh, some people are overly suspicious of us Canucks...
2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
7.3 is a great diesel motor, 6.7 is shaping up to be a good one but the 6.0..... roll the dice !! A good friend of mine has been a Ford tech for about 20 years and his opinion of the 6.0 is and I quote...."they are junk".... 150,000 miles on a diesel motor is not really that much. There are 7.3's with 500,000 miles on them but the 6.0 ?????????

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
Deleted
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
Click here
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln