cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2006 Expedition W/Tow Pkg But No Charge Wire

Frankly
Explorer
Explorer
I hooked up my new trailer expecting it to charge the battery while I drove. However, after some exploratory surgery I found that it had no charge wire hooked up. It did have the brake controller wired for the brakes. I finally discovered that my vehicle tow package only had the 4 pin plug installed. It apparently also had a brake wire in the bundle, as well, although I am guessing it was not hooked up. The 7 pin plug was added by a jack leg who was either too lazy or not motivated to install the charge wire. I finally figured out that the factory charge wiring stopped just under the drivers door and so I had to run the charge wire back to the plug from there. I had to add a relay and a fuse in the fuse box inside the vehicle. Not sure if anyone has run into this. The hard part was figuring everything out. If I had not had the Ford Service Manuals, I doubt I would have?:thumb:
Jerry
2016 Gulfstream Ameri Lite 268BH
2006 Ford Expedition
8 REPLIES 8

Frankly
Explorer
Explorer
Well just to document the final end of my story here. As stated earlier my Expedition came with the heavy duty towing package with a 4 pin plug minus the 7 pin plug. Of course, I do have a 7 pin plug, but the installation is definitely not factory. It was obvious that the factory 4 pin harness was installed with the blue brake wire taped up inside the loom. The 7 pin harness was spliced into the wiring with crimp connectors without a charge wire.

Since several respondents have cautioned that I may not have the heavy duty towing package, I have done the following:

1. I verified I have the 7A095 auxiliary transmission cooler.
2. I verified I have the 3D746 power steering cooler.
3. I verified I have the 8005 Radiator, which is the only one available for 06.
4. I have added a Scan gauge and programmed it to monitor the tranny temperature.
5. I have added a 12 gauge charge line by tapping into the 12 gauge orange wire under the drivers door attached to the frame (yeah I know it should have been 10 gauge).
6. I have added a 30 amp fuse and relay to the passenger side kick panel fuse box in the trailer charge wire positions.
7. I need to have the tranny fluid changed - as it is original most likely.

Once No. 7 is complete and I get some free time from work, I am ready for some heavy duty hauling and camping.
Jerry
2016 Gulfstream Ameri Lite 268BH
2006 Ford Expedition

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some Fords also have a breaker or fuse for trailer charging. You should check yours.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agree with others. IF it did not come with the 7 pin. It does not have the tow package. Meaning NO trans cooler, or power steering cooler, and so LESS tow capacity.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty sure my truck was originally a rental. It's hitch is not standard. It had only the 4-way plug. The wiring for the 7-wire was hidden away above the spare tire. I believe I had to plug the new harness into the 4-wire and then splice into a couple of other wires. Two being the brakes and the 12v power. It should already be up there.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Ford sold them with 2 tow packages. The light duty package, which included the 4-way plug, and the heavy duty which included the 7 way plug and extra cooling.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
You do not have the factory tow package. If you did, it would have the 7 pin and 4 pin connection already wired and hooked up.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

RSD559
Explorer
Explorer
My 2012 F-150 had a bundle in the back driver's side behind the fender well above the spare. There are harnesses you can buy that will plug into that plug and go to the 7 connection rv plug. The blue wire, I believe is the 12v to charge the trailer battery, or it may be the brake. Can't remember. Google it and see what colors are for what. The harness I got I had to splice into the 12v, as per it's instructions.
2020 Torque T314 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer- 38' tip to tip.
2015 F-350 6.7L Diesel, SRW.
2021 Can Am Defender 6 seater. Barely fits in the toy hauler!

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
My daughter's 2012 is EXACTLY the same way ! Additionally, you probably do NOT have the heavy duty radiator or the auxiliary transmission cooler. The radiator is a straight drop in. The trans cooler takes some extra hoses, etc.

What color is the wire ? I assume the wire bundle is under the vehicle not inside, correct ?