Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2013 Light Duty Challenge

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
2013 Light Duty Challenge

Ram Hemi 8 speed vs Ecoboost F150 vs new 5.3L Gm twins & more!
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV
51 REPLIES 51

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wonder what would have happened if they wouldn't have "power braked" before all of the acceleration tests (which to me seems like a blatant way to show favor the EcoBoost). Power braking before starting to move is unlikely to happen in the real world - something the tests are supposed to simulate, and would do nothing to help the non-turbo competitors. As I have a turbo-charged vehicle as my daily driver, I'm going to say not power braking the trucks would have seriously lengthened (due to turbo lag) the acceleration numbers for the EcoBoost F150. Thumbs down.

Seems maybe Pickuptruck.com cheer for the blue oval.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Buck50HD wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:
Taco wrote:

in 2013 the top gas half tons pulling 8500 went 0-40 in around 12 seconds. in 2010 in the heavyduty SHOOTOUT the ford 6.7 powerstroke and CTD went 0-40 in 16 seconds towing 10k lbs. So a half ton handles power wise 8500 better than a diesel handles 10k. I would even go so far as to say the half tons have a decent shot of beating the diesels with 10k giving how big of an advantage they showed with only 1500 less lbs.

Take that same load up a 7% grade, or into a 30MPH headwind and then ask yourself whether the gas or diesel is better suited power wise... Towing ability is not all about acceleration. I take it you've never driven a current 3/4 ton diesel otherwise you would have not have made such an outlandish statement.

OK, we get it, it's diesel or nothing...

No I'm not at all implying that. BUT when someone makes a far out claim that a 1/2 ton gasser is better equipped than a 3/4 ton diesel to pull a 8500lb+ load and are basing that claim solely on 0-40 drag times I have to step in and say something...
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Taco wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:

Take that same load up a 7% grade, or into a 30MPH headwind and then ask yourself whether the gas or diesel is better suited power wise... Towing ability is not all about acceleration. I take it you've never driven a current 3/4 ton diesel otherwise you would have not have made such an outlandish statement.

both of those times were on a 7.2% grade at gm's proving grounds

I'm not talking about 0-40 drag times... Simply pulling the hill and being able to hold speed wihout having to dowshift 2-3 times and turning 4500 RPM to do so.

D_MAX
Explorer
Explorer
Who cares... buy your brand... enjoy the ride! It's your hard earned money so be proud. We are all entitled to our opinions and preferences. Some dudes still like pink shirts too ๐Ÿ˜‰ Mostly Ford guys.... JUST KIDDING!

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
manley wrote:
I'm sorry, but I'm not buying these results. There's just way too much inconsistency in my opinion. Here's just a couple of the problems that I have:

1. GMC & Chevrolet - the results are WAY too different.
2. The Ram in 1st place? With a 1,000 pound payload? Seriously?
3. Look at the new 5.3 specifications... and tell me that the loaded / towing numbers can POSSIBLY be correct.

X2, the numbers are suspect for me too.

Don't get caught up in the input's... It's the outputs that really matter! :W
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
Here's the summary for the truck challenge.

BTW... The GMC is starting to grow on me and there's no doubt the Ford and RAM are starting to look long in the tooth and the Titan is already in the pasture.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Buck50HD
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
Taco wrote:

in 2013 the top gas half tons pulling 8500 went 0-40 in around 12 seconds. in 2010 in the heavyduty SHOOTOUT the ford 6.7 powerstroke and CTD went 0-40 in 16 seconds towing 10k lbs. So a half ton handles power wise 8500 better than a diesel handles 10k. I would even go so far as to say the half tons have a decent shot of beating the diesels with 10k giving how big of an advantage they showed with only 1500 less lbs.

OK, we get it, it's diesel or nothing...

Anyway, it would have been interesting to add an old 5.3 6-spd 3.73 to the mix so the GM guys know how much of an upgrade they are getting for the money.
New: 2014 F250 Lariat 6.2 Crew 4x4 3.73 156", 2725 lb payload
Old: 2012 F150 XLT ECO Screw 157" 4x4 3.73LS Max Tow HD Payload, 2171 lb payload
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 285BH (7750/8800lb, 1400/1700pin, dry/loaded)

Taco
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:

both of those times were on a 7.2% grade at gm's proving grounds

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Taco wrote:

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
manley wrote:
I'm sorry, but I'm not buying these results. There's just way too much inconsistency in my opinion. Here's just a couple of the problems that I have:

3. Look at the new 5.3 specifications... and tell me that the loaded / towing numbers can POSSIBLY be correct.

X2, the numbers are suspect for me too.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Kevin_O_
Explorer
Explorer
I would still take the Ford even with the less desirable fuel economy. Hooking up a trailer and smashing the gas pedal to the floor to see how fast it will go is one thing. The simple fact that the Ecoboost makes it's max torque at 2500 rpms makes long drives much more enjoyable. Being able to set the cruise control at 60mph and climb hills towing 7000lbs+ without it constantly downshifting and having to rev up high just to maintain speed makes all the difference in the world to me. So i think i will stick with the quiet little V6 torque monster... ๐Ÿ™‚
KEVIN :C
DW-Debbie :R
DS-Tyler 11yrs old:D
DD-Makayla 8yrs old:p
MERIDEN,CT
2001 Ford Powerstroke F350 Lariat
2012 Keystone Outback 292BH-OLD
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS-NEW

itguy08
Explorer
Explorer
Dadoffourgirls wrote:

The GM twins appear to be superior to the Ecoburst in fuel economy - towing and non-towing. And for the less than 1 second, appears to pull as well. I guess they were telling the truth when they said they would have a truck with better fuel economy then the ecoboost.

I see marginally better fuel economy unloaded, better towing, but with much lower overall performance for the GM twins.

itguy08
Explorer
Explorer
So that 8 speed really didn't help the Ram at all. Fuel economy still is bottom of the pack and it barely beat the Ford in acceleration.

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
manley wrote:

So there are differences in the GMC and Cheverolet. They may have had different tires, that would make some of the difference.

Number 3 - what exactly are you saying can not be possibly correct? Fuel economy, acceleration, braking?

The GM twins appear to be superior to the Ecoburst in fuel economy - towing and non-towing. And for the less than 1 second, appears to pull as well. I guess they were telling the truth when they said they would have a truck with better fuel economy then the ecoboost.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

manley
Explorer
Explorer

2021 F250 XLT FX4 SCREW Godzilla 7.3L
Hensley Arrow
2017 Open Range Light 272RLS