cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2014 Ram 2500 Coil Spring Airbag Solutions?

krazymatt
Explorer
Explorer
So I'm planning on installing some Airbags on my 2014 Ram 2500 Coil sprung pickup to help soften the ride a bit under load. I was going to go with firestone but upon research I understand their "no drill kit" does indeed require drilling due to poor fabrication. Also the instructions seem to plain old suck. Are their any other brands I can go with that might be better to install? On youtube a guy installs the firestone bags and he has to use a plasma cutter because the drilled hole location doesn't allow for a standard drill to fit. Also do these airbags replaced the springs or do you keep the springs?
New Mexico
2018 Ram 3500 Dually Cummins 4x4
15 REPLIES 15

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Very interesting comments about the rear spring suspension here.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
MY 2014 2500 RIDES NICER WITH A LOAD .

krazymatt
Explorer
Explorer
bman916 wrote:
All I know is when I pull without air in the bags it feels like it's bouncing all over the road back there....

Looks like you know what I'm talking about and pretty much proves that my new bags will alleviate my issues. Many of these folks that are opening their mouths either A: don't have a coil spring Ram 2500, B: Have one and don't tow with it, or C: they've never had air bags so shouldn't be inserting coins. LOL
New Mexico

bman916
Explorer
Explorer
All I know is when I pull without air in the bags it feels like it's bouncing all over the road back there....

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, there's no overload springs on coil sprung Rams but isn't the spring a progressive spring? The more weight that gets put on it the harder it is to compress. That would seem to make a smoother tow than leaf springs that have an over load spring that only comes in contact when the load reaches a certain weight or when the truck hits a bump causing the rear to sag.

bman916
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 ram 2500 6.7L 4x4 short box. Pull a 40' toy hauler with 3100lbs of pin weight. I installed the firestone bags 2 months ago with no drilling and left the springs on. Have about 3k miles on it now and pulls great. I run about 55psi in the bags and ran the air lines back through my lic plate holes.....

Before the towing hatters get going... I know, I know... by the "book" I am over loaded on the payload a bit.

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
krazymatt wrote:
ib516 wrote:
krazymatt wrote:

So you're saying that springs run as smooth with no load vs loaded?

No, adding some weight in the bed usually smoothes things out some.

The above statement I have found to be completely NOT TRUE when talking about the Coil rear Sprung Ram 2500. Empty the truck has an acceptable ride. Hook on a heavy trailer be it my 32' 5er or my equipment trailer with a tractor and equipment and the ride gets not so pleasant. It's like you feel every little thing the trailer tires hit on the freeways.

It does for mine but hey - whatever floats your boat - it's your truck and your money ๐Ÿ™‚
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

krazymatt
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:
krazymatt wrote:

No, adding some weight in the bed usually smoothes things out some.

The above statement I have found to be completely NOT TRUE when talking about the Coil rear Sprung Ram 2500. Empty the truck has an acceptable ride. Hook on a heavy trailer be it my 32' 5er or my equipment trailer with a tractor and equipment and the ride gets not so pleasant. It's like you feel every little thing the trailer tires hit on the freeways.
New Mexico

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
krazymatt wrote:

No, adding some weight in the bed usually smoothes things out some. What I am saying is that adding air bags will only serve to stiffen the ride, loaded or unloaded.

When you add airbags, you're adding spring rate which = less suspension travel for a given vertical load which = a stiffer ride. The only exception may be when a truck is factory equipped with auxiliary springs (overloads) which can and will come into contact with a certain amount of sag and then serve to stiffen the ride.
If adding airbags prevents that, in some rare instances they can soften the ride under load.

However, the new Ram 2500 rear coil suspension has no overload springs so adding bags will only firm things up, not soften them out.

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
ACZL wrote:

The nose of your 5er in pic looks a tad high or just the way you have it parked when pic was taken?

That 5er belongs to a friend. We just went out and did some testing with it (0-60, sag, and mpg) comparing his 2014 SRW 3500 Cummins to my 2014 2500 Hemi. I snapped that pic just to compare. The 5er was quite nose high. I only towed it about 10 miles to do the testing so I didn't bother to take apart my 5er hitch and adjust it down for a short test. It rides much more level on his truck. Here's a pic of his SRW 3500 Cummins hitched to his RV (same one I towed).

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:
Adding airbags will only serve to stiffen the ride. Airbags are generally used to cure rear end sag with a heavy load. I've had a 41' 5er on mine and had very little sag.

The nose of your 5er in pic looks a tad high or just the way you have it parked when pic was taken?
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

krazymatt
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. I finally ended up going with the Airlift 5000 system with the Wireless One compressor system. I did do research and the firestone for the coil sprung rams does indeed require you to drill two holes in a very difficult location despite what Firestone claims.
New Mexico

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
The air bags supplement the springs. You do not remove the springs according to the instructions. I have the Firestone Ride Rites on my 2008 Ram 2500 CTD and installation required no drilling. I did read the 2014 instructions and they say drilling is not required. Installation looks pretty straight forward. I like my Ride Rites and they have helped the ride and level the load well.

Airbags are great at leveling the load. As far as improving the loaded ride, it may or may not help substantially. If your load is heavy enough that the jounce bumpers are contacting regularly then you will probably notice an improved ride. If you are substantially off the jounce bumpers and they rarely contact, then I doubt you see much of an improvement.

This is my observations. YMMV. Good luck. Keith

krazymatt
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:
Adding airbags will only serve to stiffen the ride. Airbags are generally used to cure rear end sag with a heavy load. I've had a 41' 5er on mine and had very little sag.

New Mexico