cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins - my last hesitation

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure this question has been asked and answered a 100 times here, so sorry in advance. I've been soliciting opinions on some of the various vehicle forums and thought this looked like a great place to get non brand specific advice.

Here's my situation. I am in the market for a new truck because I'm planning on selling my little pop-up trailer and moving into a larger travel trailer. I don't want anything massive because I want to be able to get it into some of the tighter mountain areas, but loaded with water, gear, toys and the seemingly limitless other items necessary to keep my wife and children happy, I'd expect this trailer will weigh in around 10,000 lbs, give or take. I live in Idaho so the mountain passes I'll encounter regularly are significant.

Initially I was thinking of a Ford Ecoboost, which is rated to handle the above trailer. But in the mountains with my family on board, I'm not so sure the margin of error with that kind of vehicle is enough to make me comfortable. Plus the payload on those trucks in a crew cab + 6.5' configuration can be challenging.

This string of logic led me to 3/4 tons, and I'm pretty sold on the Ram. The suspension setup seems perfect to me with coils and solid axles on both ends. And I like the engine options better than the Ford or GM, both gas or diesel. It may be silly but I'm also not a fan of the IFS on the GM. And pricing wise, the Dodge dealerships seem to be more willing to come down off sticker (perhaps the Dave Smith effect - I'm not sure).

Of the Rams, my natural inclination is the CTD. I've been around diesels a lot, and I love the way they drive and pull. I do a lot of my own maintenance so the extra costs can be minimized. I can get a Tradesman level truck with all that I want amenity-wise for around 37k or thereabouts. But my hesitation is I live a little over five miles from the office, and this truck will be my daily driver. A 6.4 obviously won't tow as well or get the MPGs, but it would be around $6k less up front and would likely work better as a daily driver.

Does anybody here have long term experience with a diesel as a short distance daily driver? I would use it on longer drives as well, in addition to the trips I'd take with the trailer, so it isn't like it would only be doing the short 5 mile drives. But it will be a daily fact of life.

I generally keep vehicles for quite a few years so I'm putting a lot of thought into this (or obsessing about it, if you listen to my wife).
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB
54 REPLIES 54

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
If I was on the Chrysler lot I would look hard at the 6.4.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

garysol
Explorer
Explorer
I drove my 08 6.7 Cummins daily and now i drive my 14 6.7 daily. Somedays I may drive 2 miles to the food store and thats it. I have never had any issues due to the short drives.
2020 GMC Canyon
2022 NoBo 19.2

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
The diesel will be a better RV puller, no argument there.

That said, I am very happy with the 6.4 Hemi after owning two Cummins diesels.
The mpg difference isn't as significant as it used to be - gas to diesel, due to the new emissions garbage the diesels are saddled with.

I am more than happy with the new Ram chassis, suspension, and interior.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
OTOH, if you don't put many miles on the truck then a 6.4 Hemi may make better sense.
I only put about 5K a year on mine these days and if I had to replace it now, I'd probably get a big gasser.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 12 2500 ST CC LB 4x4 CTD. I'm retired so my daily drive is anywhere from 3/4 miles to 2-3 miles. Sometimes it never even comes close to warming up. Other times I will take a long drive south to see family. (150 miles RT) I tow every other weekend and sometimes every weekend during the summer. Sometimes long 1 week trips. Others short 45-60 miles one way. I don't have DEF which cuts down on regens. My oil change intervals are 2800-3500 miles. Not a problem for me as I only put about 9-10,000 a year on it. It's just past 2 years old and I have 20,000+ on it. Zero mechanical issues. Best truck I've ever owned. Of course 20,000 miles is nothing but in the 2 years I've had it not one new rattle or anything. Truck is tight.

With the new ones using DEF my understanding is the oil change intervals are greatly improved.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:
Not answering your direct question but I tow an 8500# TT with a 6.4 Hemi 2500 and can barely notice the difference from my diesel with the same trailer (06 Duramax LBZ). A 3/4 ton with a capable engine like the 6.4 is a great tow vehicle and leaves you the option to tow just about any TT you'd ever want to. I don't want to talk you out of a Cummins because they are awesome but you may not need one. FWIW, I could have afforded either the Hemi or the Cummins and after test driving them back to back I preferred the Hemi. I use mine 98% of the time as a daily driver. If I towed more I probably would have gone for the Cummins.

^^^^^ great post right there.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Not answering your direct question but I tow an 8500# TT with a 6.4 Hemi 2500 and can barely notice the difference from my diesel with the same trailer (06 Duramax LBZ). A 3/4 ton with a capable engine like the 6.4 is a great tow vehicle and leaves you the option to tow just about any TT you'd ever want to. I don't want to talk you out of a Cummins because they are awesome but you may not need one. FWIW, I could have afforded either the Hemi or the Cummins and after test driving them back to back I preferred the Hemi. I use mine 98% of the time as a daily driver. If I towed more I probably would have gone for the Cummins.

YnotTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
Get a diesel and enjoy the towing experience. The new 3/4 ton Ram is very capable for your needs. If you are going to get a tow trailer and not a fiver you can get by with a short bed. That will give you easy parking options. If you plan to move up to a fifth wheel in the future, get a one ton long bed with single rear wheels. I use my dually 3500 as my daily driver. 28 miles each way. I love it.
Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
To answer your question.. Yes, I had a 93 with the Cummins and lived less than two miles form work. Never had any kind of problem with the short distance during the five years we lived there.
I also used my present Cummins to commute 7 miles and never had any problem.
I agree with buying the one ton. It will ride the same as the 3/4 ton and only cost something like $600 more. Well worth it if you ever get something bigger.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy the truck you want and then pick up a beater car for work. BTW a 1 ton will give you more future upgrades options