cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 Ram 2500 Tonneau Cover Question

Heybate
Explorer
Explorer
2 weeks ago I picked up my new 2014 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi w/4.10 rear end. It was in no small part this forum that helped me out with my decision. I haven't installed my 5er hitch as of yet, and I still need to get the spray in box liner installed.

The next step for me is the purchase of a folding tonneau cover. My last truck had a Roll-n-lock that gave me nothing but problem with freezing in harsh Alberta winters. Are there any 2014 Ram 2500 owners with a 6'4" box who have a folding tonneau cover and are you able to hook up your 5er without having to make the last fold on the cover where it leans against the rear window of the truck.

I'm looking specifically at the BakFlip products. I did not get the hitch package with my truck and have a sliding hitch (yet to be installed in the new truck).

Thanks for the help!
Current

2014 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi, 6'4" box, 4.10 Rear End
2011 Cougar 280BHSWE 5er

Past

2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 Duramax Diesel
2008 Pacific Coachworks Tango 257BH
11 REPLIES 11

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have it but if I were in the market for one I'd get the http://www.pace-edwards.com/site/?d=38&dt=36Looks like you could set it where you need it and not be any higher than the bed rail.

Heybate
Explorer
Explorer
Good stuff here. Thanks all! @ib516, your posts are one of the main reasons I bought my truck. It looks like the options are rolling tonneau cover or folding cover that gets removed when I tow. I'm definitely leaning towards the Flex.
Current

2011 Cougar 280BHSWE 5er

Past

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have an Undercover Flex, and a 2014 Ram 2500 and I'm from Canada. Partsengine.ca is where I got mine. $800 with free shipping in Canada.

I can and have towed with mine in the fully flipped up position, but it does reduce my max turn angle somewhat. So, just to be safe, I take it off for towing.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 Dodge short bed and use a Pullrite SuperGlide hitch and a Backflip F1 cover. I fold it to the last section. There are small rings to attach short bungee cords to keep it folded. No need to flip it up against the cabs rear window. The superglide moves back as the truck turns and easily clears the Backflip. Not sure if a non-slider or manual slider would clear but very well could as theres quite a bit of room.

Would the rubber seals on the Backflip freeze up on cold days? I live in a warm climate so don't experience that problem.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Haybate i didn't notice that the BF is 4 panels and the Flex is three. I think I'm going with the Bakflip, I don't like how high the flex is.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Heybate
Explorer
Explorer
One of the things that intrigues me about the BakFlip is that it is a four panel cover. I was looking at the Flex, and, honestly, think the flipped up position is better with it. I'm just not sure how tough it will be to hook up the 5er with it up.
Current

2011 Cougar 280BHSWE 5er

Past

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
Now that it's mid day, I decided to upload some pics. Hopefully this helps you out some what.

Tonneau lined up with gooseneck blank space

Tonneau 2/3rds open

Tonneau Clip to prevent from flipping up, I really liked this feature and is one of the things that swayed me to the Flex, that and being about 100 bux cheaper locally.

Tonneau locked in the up position
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Walker111, with the Bakflip and the Flex-Cover you can fold it all the way up to the cab and lock it upright. Unless you have a short box without a slider hitch this won't be an issue.

Don

walker111
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Heybate
I am in Calgary and know about the winters you speak off!!!
I have had 3 retractable covers and the best has been the Retrax. Zero issues in our climate. One thing about the folding overs to consider with a fifth wheel . When you stack the sections together up front in the box you are increasing your height and getting closer to the underside of your trailer . The guys that own them can give better advice.
Retrax is excellent but a bit pricey.
Good luck.
Snow tomorrow here!!!!

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Have to say they have done a great job coping Bakflip's design and cover it with three year warranty where Bakflip is two. So I might have to go with flex-cover.

Don

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
Heybate wrote:
2 weeks ago I picked up my new 2014 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi w/4.10 rear end. It was in no small part this forum that helped me out with my decision. I haven't installed my 5er hitch as of yet, and I still need to get the spray in box liner installed.

The next step for me is the purchase of a folding tonneau cover. My last truck had a Roll-n-lock that gave me nothing but problem with freezing in harsh Alberta winters. Are there any 2014 Ram 2500 owners with a 6'4" box who have a folding tonneau cover and are you able to hook up your 5er without having to make the last fold on the cover where it leans against the rear window of the truck.

I'm looking specifically at the BakFlip products. I did not get the hitch package with my truck and have a sliding hitch (yet to be installed in the new truck).

Thanks for the help!

I was looking at bakflip products initially, but a local truck shop in these parts was able to sell me an "Undercover Flex" tonneau cover which is equivalent to the bakflip fibermax tonneau. I don't own a 5th wheel yet, but that's what I have in sights. With the undercover flex, it doesn't touch your cab at all when folded all the way forward, and removes with just 2 spin nuts. In looking at my tonneau, it looks really close as to whether or not I would need to make that last fold. If I had a 5th and set it all the way rearward, possibly not. The final segment of my tonneau is just in front of where the gooseneck ball would be on my truck.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)