cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2016 Dodge 3500 dually wide fenders

Dalehacker
Explorer
Explorer
Just picked up our new 2016 Dodge 3500 dually to replace the old reliable 1997. Question is the new trucks bed is very wide from the front all the way to the rear "outside", before I order new mounts attempting to install our 2014 Palimino Real Lite 1806 does anyone have pictures or experience with clearance due to the side access door / wings at the rear?
51 REPLIES 51

Bedlam
It may be cheaper for you to convert to a flat bed from the pickup bed. If you like the camper, there are alternatives. Selling the pickup bed would help fund the flat bed and may not sting the wallet as much as you think...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Dalehacker
Explorer
Explorer
Yes the camper could be moved back 8" to clear the fenders but it would still hit the tanks bumpout. Palomino says Dodge is the most difficult to fit. At this point in time my goal is to let others know what I have been experiencing and hopefully prevent a problem for them. As stated earlier I talked to my original camper dealer prior to purchasing the new truck, he staTed he had installed several with no problems. Thanks for all the suggestions but it's time to sale and move on.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
What does Palimino say about this situation? I think their design is somewhat unusual to make use of that space at the bottom that way on a short camper.

For the latest issue, it seems you could put something in the front of bed. My Host already has 3 inch bumpers. I don't know how long yours are, but my guess is you could move back a few inches without and issue.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
That just stinks, that the camper won't fit.

Dalehacker
Explorer
Explorer
No. I don't think that's a workable solution in this case. It's sad, the camper fit the old truck perfect. Not quite sure what Dodges intentions were with this design.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Would putting the camper up on a low platform get it up to where the bed opening is wide enough?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here are instructions to post pictures again although several methods are in the stickies as well. http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26459465.cfm

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
That's a bummer!
What are you going to do- different truck or change camper?
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Dalehacker
Explorer
Explorer
Confirmed today camper will not fit into truck due to the taper at the bed. Anyone with a newer Dodge dually planning a new camper purchase double check the measurement of your proposed camper close

Dalehacker
Explorer
Explorer
photobucket did the trick to add pictures. Man that was way to difficult. Instructions, add your pics to photobucket, you will need an account. Go to the pic you want to add in photobucket then double click the image address in lower right box. Go back to forum post and right click paste.

Dalehacker
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the wings that make contact with the dually bed side. Palimino sent me a CAD drawing showing how these are fabricated so if I can figure out how to clear the tanks they can be modified

Dalehacker
Explorer
Explorer
here is where the bed tapers in. It does not look like a large amount but you need every inch to clear the tanks and get the camper aligned straight with a Real Lite 1806 camper. And by the way prior to getting the new truck I talked to my camper dealer who as expected said he has had no issues loading any camper into the newer Dodge duallys.

Dalehacker
Explorer
Explorer
A

Dalehacker
Explorer
Explorer
a

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
Dalehacker wrote:

just wasted another hour attempting to add pictures, anybody know an easy way?

I use a Photobucket account and paste the image link on here. I've never been able to figure out the image drop function on here either. The instructions are not new user friendly.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded