Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2016 Silverado heads up

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Just a heads up to owners of a 2016 Silverado:
Just bought a new one and in hooking up a brake controller checked the 7 way trailer plug for power.
When new our 2007 Silverado had a dummy fuse for power to the trailer plug that had to be replaced with a working fuse, then power was sent to the trailer plug only when the ignition was on.
The 2016 evidently has a working fuse from the factory.
Here's the heads up:
The trailer plug battery connection is live with the ignition OFF.
This means when boondocking or WalMart camping one could wake in the morning to a dead TRUCK battery.
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin
24 REPLIES 24

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't your 2016 have a built in controller? My 2014 came with one. If you are worried about the truck battery dying over night. Just unplug your camper cord from the vehicle. Also if you are setting still the portable controller is not using any juice ( to speak of if any)
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
garyp4951 wrote:
It might be for a safety issue allowing the trailer brakes to be used without the key in the truck.

The power feed being referred to is the one that charges the trailer battery. The feed that activates the trailer brakes is seperate. Are you referring battery power so the breakaway feature works? I'm thinking that if the trailer breaks away while it's parked, there are some big problems! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

The_real_wild1
Explorer
Explorer
I is good for my enclosed trailers as it powers the lights inside. I don't want to have the truck running to have lights.

KD4UPL wrote:
GM is hot all the time. Has been for years. The OP is either incorrect about his '07 or it was modified before he got it.
I find it very handy to use the power at the 7 pin to power other things through a cigarette lighter adapter: air mattress infiltrator, air compressor, etc.

Actually, the OP is correct about the hot wire going to the trailer plug. I have bought all my trucks brand new from 2001, 2003, 2012 and now 2015. The only one I didn't have to connect the wires / fuse to was the 15.

So, either your truck was not brand new or your dealer added the fuse for you before you took delivery... I also believe it was noted in the owners manual that the fuse needs to be installed to take advantage of this hot wire.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
It might be for a safety issue allowing the trailer brakes to be used without the key in the truck.

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
I too prefer it hot as I have used my truck to help "charge" my TT battery several times due to some electrical draining issues before I installed a battery shut-off switch.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
Much prefer it hot all the time. With two batteries on the trailer plus one in the truck---very unlikely three batteries go dead.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
patriotgrunt wrote:
What's the reasoning for Ram and GM to leave their plugs hot?

Probably simplicity or preference.
I've had RV's with it wired both ways and I much prefer it being hot all the time.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
GM is hot all the time. Has been for years. The OP is either incorrect about his '07 or it was modified before he got it.
I find it very handy to use the power at the 7 pin to power other things through a cigarette lighter adapter: air mattress infiltrator, air compressor, etc.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
GordonThree wrote:
Are we really sure it's hot, or is it on some sort of accessory delay, like the windows, radio, etc?

Mine is HOT all the time.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Are we really sure it's hot, or is it on some sort of accessory delay, like the windows, radio, etc?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

patriotgrunt
Explorer
Explorer
What's the reasoning for Ram and GM to leave their plugs hot?
2015 Ford F-250, 6.7 PSD
2016 Ford Expedition, 3.5 Eco-Boost
2003 Ford F-150, 4.2 V6
Sandpiper 357 TRIP

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
discovery4us wrote:
My 99, 2001, and current 2004 Silverado have all been live 24/7 regardless of ign. position.

Ditto times 47.

GM is hot regardless of ignition dating back to 1999, though somewhere else there was a thread that said 2015 and newer was ignition controlled - that thread must have been erroneous info.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
The_real_wild1 wrote:
Dodge has power all the time as well.

I've only noticed power being sent while the engine was running, including remote start.

Regardless, plenty of overnights at the blue store and various rest areas, no dead truck battery yet.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed