cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel HD

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
With Ford expected to add a diesel and ten-speed to their aluminum-bodied F-150s for 2017, Ram engineers are working hard — likely focusing on many different bottlenecks, rather than a single technology.

When 2018 comes, there will also be a “commercial” version of the Ram 1500, with enhancements for heavy duty work cases. The chart below suggests that a Ram Commercial version of the 1500 will appear earlier, but that would likely show up separately if it were true. (The years appear to be calendar years, not model years.)

There are also hints of the diesel gaining in towing capacity, possibly through gearing, calibration, and possibly upgraded internal parts upgrades could push it beyond 10,000 pounds (it’s currently rated at 9,200).

It is unlikely that the eight speed will jump to ten any time soon. ZF’s chief executive already dismissed that, saying the rewards were lower than the costs — and this is coming from a company that supplies Rolls-Royce.

Link

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.
60 REPLIES 60

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
That's the part people on here don't get. I have been saying for years that Ram does not play the in-between game that Ford and GM play. Unfortunately for Ram there are people that don't understand that they are buying a half ton on steroids but paying for a 250/2500 weakling.

If you have to add HD payload and HD tow packages to get you wannabe 250/2500 then buy the correct tool for the job. You will be a lot happier in the long run trust me.

Don

This is 100% correct... don't send a boys truck out to do a man sized job. Get the right tool for the job... a 3/4 ton.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Hybridhunter wrote:
Flashman wrote:
What is the MPG difference between the I4 Diesel and the V6 gas.

And what is the Torque diff?

People buy HP but drive TQ.

Not in the real world, hp does work, torque makes it feel like its not working as hard. All industrial power is rated in horsepower (or it's equivalent) as it indicates what it can actually do.

And yet all our diesel trucks have gas options that make more peak horsepower. We tow with diesels because of where they make their power, not because of how much they can make.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

RamGuy2500
Explorer
Explorer
No Cummins...No care!
2018 Ford F-350 XLT, 6.7 Powerstroke 😄

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Flashman wrote:

Not in the real world, hp does work, torque makes it feel like its not working as hard. All industrial power is rated in horsepower (or it's equivalent) as it indicates what it can actually do.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Hybridhunter wrote:

The diesel adds 440# according to GM, so picking (gas&diesel) trucks that weigh similar to compare means picking substatialy different trucks.

Yes, but the heavier optional off road equipment and aggressive off road tires does not make the vehicles you stated apples to apples, and are more like apples to kumquats.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Flashman
Explorer II
Explorer II

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:

I compared two models with roughly the same weight(diesel Colorado still being heavier by 57 lbs) and both with street tires. That is more apples to apples than comparing a truck with street tires and no heavy optional equipment to one with heavy and aggressive mud tires and heavy optional off road equipment. So who is deliberately being deceiving?

2.8L

2.5L and 3.6L

Hybridhunter wrote:

So no, they are not similar in performance or price.

I never said anything about price although neither is the Ecodiesel versus the other Ram engines. I also said very clearly that it "out tows its gas counterparts" which it does. Check GM's website. It is rated to tow more than both of the two gasoline engines offered.

The diesel adds 440# according to GM, so picking (gas&diesel) trucks that weigh similar to compare means picking substatialy different trucks.
Look, we can agree the Colorado is one of the best smaller trucks (in my opinion, the best). The numbers don't lie, if you want the cheapest, fastest, most capable truck at the best price, the V6 wins. If you want a more relaxed, quiet drive, and speed is not top priority, the diesel is the pricey option that will make your day.
In my opinion, another 40hp for this truck and it would be a whole lot better.

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
As for the Ram the 3.6 gas can be had with the 3.92 gear ratio as long as you opt for the "trailer & traction group".

Don

And it is a terrific, well matched, and very nice truck at a great price. Probably the best "base engine truck" combo around.
Surprised to hear me say that?

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
As for the Ram the 3.6 gas can be had with the 3.92 gear ratio as long as you opt for the "trailer & traction group".

Don

Thanks for the info...I didn't realize that the 3.92 was available in the Pentastar Ram. That would be a fantastic weekend warrior/daily commuter combo.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock you are correct the baby D is an I4, I was under the understanding it was a V6. Sorry about that, I was at the NAAS when GM announced that the Colorado was getting a diesel and was sure they said it was a small V6?

Don

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock in what world can you compare a 3.0 liter V6 diesel to a 5.7 liter Hemi V8!?! Come on dude that is freaking ludicrous, my buddy Troy won't even make that comparison! :W

Then you continue the ludicrously by comparing a 2.5 liter I4 to a 2.8 liter V6! If you want apples to apples it is not going to happen. Two different power trains for to different jobs. Can you cross over yes but there will be a cost to do so.

Don

Don, comparing Apples to Apples makes sense. Each type of engine has it's strengths and weaknesses

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock in what world can you compare a 3.0 liter V6 diesel to a 5.7 liter Hemi V8!?! Come on dude that is freaking ludicrous, my buddy Troy won't even make that comparison!

You have compared the Ecodiesel to the 3.5L Ecoboost in fuel mileage on this website before yet it out tows and and outperforms the Hemi 5.7L. Why compare something in fuel mileage if they don't even compare in performance or capabilities? That is ludicrous to me.

Although, I don't think you fully understood what I was saying. If you go back to what I originally stated instead of Hybridhunter's snippet of what i said then you would understand. I basically stated that unlike the midsize and HD diesel that are rated to tow more than all of its gasoline counterparts, have comparable performance, and get better fuel economy than their gasoline counterparts, the Ecodiesel is not comparable in performance nor is it rated to tow more than all of its gasoline counterparts.

Hybridhunter stated I was incorrect which is why I posted the comparison numbers of the Duramax 2.8L and its two gasoline counterparts, and the Ecodiesel and its two gasoline counterparts.

Then you continue the ludicrously by comparing a 2.5 liter I4 to a 2.8 liter V6! If you want apples to apples it is not going to happen. Two different power trains for to different jobs. Can you cross over yes but there will be a cost to do so.

1. The 2.8L Duramax is an I-4.

2. The main purpose of these two powertrains is fuel economy versus the bigger performance engine offered as with the Ram V6 3.6L and Ecodiesel V6 3.0L versus the bigger performance(and more capable) engine offered.

3. Read above as to why the comparison was even made.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock in what world can you compare a 3.0 liter V6 diesel to a 5.7 liter Hemi V8!?! Come on dude that is freaking ludicrous, my buddy Troy won't even make that comparison! :W

Don

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Hybridhunter wrote:
Well you are being deliberately misleading. Comparing the 2 Z71 trucks, gas vs diesel, the gasser was 7.4 and the diesel was corolla slow at 9.5 seconds to 60.
Yes there is a lighter faster diesel model, but comparing apples to apples its a 2 second difference! If you chose a lighter gasser, it would keep bout the same difference. Quarter mile 15.7, to 16.9.
Happy passing and merging lol. 181 horsepower to 305........

Actually I am not being deceiving. There was a reason why I didn't quote the Z71 "Trail Boss" edition diesel numbers. Take a look at the tires on the Trail Boss special package in the article you are picking those numbers from. They are very aggressive and much heavier Duratrac tires while the 3.6L Z71 they tested had regular street tires. The diesel Trail Boss Z71 was also much heavier than the regular gas Z71 due to the having a roll bar and metal side steps. So how is that apples?

I compared two models with roughly the same weight(diesel Colorado still being heavier by 57 lbs) and both with street tires. That is more apples to apples than comparing a truck with street tires and no heavy optional equipment to one with heavy and aggressive mud tires and heavy optional off road equipment. So who is deliberately being deceiving?

2.8L

2.5L and 3.6L

Hybridhunter wrote:

So no, they are not similar in performance or price.

I never said anything about price although neither is the Ecodiesel versus the other Ram engines. I also said very clearly that it "out tows its gas counterparts" which it does. Check GM's website. It is rated to tow more than both of the two gasoline engines offered.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD