cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel HD

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
With Ford expected to add a diesel and ten-speed to their aluminum-bodied F-150s for 2017, Ram engineers are working hard — likely focusing on many different bottlenecks, rather than a single technology.

When 2018 comes, there will also be a “commercial” version of the Ram 1500, with enhancements for heavy duty work cases. The chart below suggests that a Ram Commercial version of the 1500 will appear earlier, but that would likely show up separately if it were true. (The years appear to be calendar years, not model years.)

There are also hints of the diesel gaining in towing capacity, possibly through gearing, calibration, and possibly upgraded internal parts upgrades could push it beyond 10,000 pounds (it’s currently rated at 9,200).

It is unlikely that the eight speed will jump to ten any time soon. ZF’s chief executive already dismissed that, saying the rewards were lower than the costs — and this is coming from a company that supplies Rolls-Royce.

Link

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.
60 REPLIES 60

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
they really need to make this truck available in a crew cab with 1500-1800lbs of payload, that is very usable and would probably sell quite well for the weekend warrior with a smaller TT that wants good FE on his commute - both GM and ford offer this but with nowhere near the same FE. Maybe the Ford with the small diesel will fit the bill.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
🙂 Hi, looks like some good improvements are on the way. Hopefully the commercial models will have a higher payload. Having a tailgate step like Ford is a good thing; I like mine. Dodge had a starter/generator in 1925. The black truck looks good, but the white one looks ugly. Chrysler has been very creative with their folding seats.

Was it Don on RV.net, or Doug on Air Forums, that said that in tow haul mode the trans locks out 7th and 8th gears?
🙂 Bob 🙂
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
45Ricochet wrote:
At some point your going to need more HP and torque to justify more gears IMO. With out more power you're still going to be hanging out in a lower gear even on freeway overpasses :E
It don't take much of a hill for the Canyon to downshift but the overall mileage is more than I expected with the OD's. 23-24 but it goes way up when being towed :W

I would say the opposite, less power and you need more gears to keep the engine in an RPM range where it can use what power it has.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
45Ricochet wrote:
At some point your going to need more HP and torque to justify more gears IMO. With out more power you're still going to be hanging out in a lower gear even on freeway overpasses ..

With 3.92's available and 8 speeds, shorter gears won't materially make a difference with the Ram. And not much will affect the fact that it has 240hp. TFL truck did a good test, and it was a slow climber, but they do get good mileage, and to some folks that and relaxed cruising RPM are the holy grail. The climbing mileage on their test is a farce however, as the slowest / least powerful trucks are unable to burn as much fuel, and any truck going 45-50mph will burn less that if it could or did go 60-65mph.

Higher payload would solve the glaring issue that makes towing with a 1500 Ram tricky.

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
At some point your going to need more HP and torque to justify more gears IMO. With out more power you're still going to be hanging out in a lower gear even on freeway overpasses :E
It don't take much of a hill for the Canyon to downshift but the overall mileage is more than I expected with the OD's. 23-24 but it goes way up when being towed :W
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Is this all because the little diesel weighs a lot more than the 5.7, or are other heavier components involved too? If it's so heavy, how is the fuel economy improved, seems like magic math gets involved.

You could ask the same question of just about any diesel and yet it is so.

2011 RAM 3500 SRW

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
I've wondered why Chrysler bothered with converting the ZF to a nine speed unless it was for CAFE. I would have thought the eight speed with six under and direct drive ratios along with two OD ratios would make more sense in a TV than the nine speed with five under drive and direct ratios along with four OD ratios anyway.

2011 RAM 3500 SRW

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Is this all because the little diesel weighs a lot more than the 5.7, or are other heavier components involved too? If it's so heavy, how is the fuel economy improved, seems like magic math gets involved.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you will see the Ecodiesel towing more than 10,000 lbs since there is not much more gearing you can give it and still being economical. The 9,200 lbs it is rated for is with a 3.92 gear ratio and an 8 speed transmission. If it can't be done with that then I don't think making the rear gear shorter is going to do much. They would have to pump up the power output of the Ecodiesel to get it done.

Also, the only Ecodiesel rated for 9,200 lbs is a seldom bought stripped down 2wd regular cab. The more common crew cab 2wd is rated at 8,800 while the crew cab 4wd is 8,600 lbs.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
I hope to see some of the major changes for the 2017 MY. I plan on buying a 1500 series pickup in about 18 months and the Ram Ecodiesel is at the top of my list.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

bigbullelk
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote:
No point in a 10k tow rating when it has less than 1k of payload.

X2

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
No point in a 10k tow rating when it has less than 1k of payload.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:

And I should know, I'm the Engineer. Yes we OEM engineers do watch these forums!

Do you happen to work in the tech center?... If so give a wave to OU next time you drive by, ahh the good old days.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
spud1957 wrote:
And since there is no vacuum when the engine is off, the ventilation flips to defrost at every stop light. Maybe it's just me but I found it irritating.

The JGC Like ALL current FCA NAFTA vehicles is an all electric HVAC control system. In a stop event what you're hearing is the recirculation door moving to 50% in order to prolong cabin thermal comfort in the vehicle during the stop.

And I should know, I'm the Engineer. Yes we OEM engineers do watch these forums!
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting info Don. What would the characteristics be that the commercial version will have?

Not a big fan of the stop/start feature. Had a Grand Cherokee rental for a week which had it. Didn't like the slight shutter you felt when it restarted. And since there is no vacuum when the engine is off, the ventilation flips to defrost at every stop light. Maybe it's just me but I found it irritating.

I agree with Gordonthree, really need to increase the payload. That will allow it to compete with ALL 1/2 tons for payload, It has them all pretty well beat on MPG.

S
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS