cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel HD

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
With Ford expected to add a diesel and ten-speed to their aluminum-bodied F-150s for 2017, Ram engineers are working hard — likely focusing on many different bottlenecks, rather than a single technology.

When 2018 comes, there will also be a “commercial” version of the Ram 1500, with enhancements for heavy duty work cases. The chart below suggests that a Ram Commercial version of the 1500 will appear earlier, but that would likely show up separately if it were true. (The years appear to be calendar years, not model years.)

There are also hints of the diesel gaining in towing capacity, possibly through gearing, calibration, and possibly upgraded internal parts upgrades could push it beyond 10,000 pounds (it’s currently rated at 9,200).

It is unlikely that the eight speed will jump to ten any time soon. ZF’s chief executive already dismissed that, saying the rewards were lower than the costs — and this is coming from a company that supplies Rolls-Royce.

Link

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.
60 REPLIES 60

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
"If I am not mistaken, the Ram Ecodiesel uses the very same CP4 pump that you are saying isn't reliable in the 5.0L Cummins!" No one said the 5.0L has a good pump. For that matter, few say the CP4.2 or CP4.1 are good at all! One would want to company that has a good warranty record with them.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:

x2. For the price of the Nissan you may as well buy a Ram 2500/3500 with a Cummins 6.7L I-6 and have a real truck. And a good reliable high pressure fuel pump too! :B

The Ecodiesel is really in a field of it's own. It is a great little 1/2 ton with a nice little economical diesel. I think if they can get the payload up on a lot of these models they will have a true winner, because that has been the biggest issue with them IMHO.

If I am not mistaken, the Ram Ecodiesel uses the very same CP4 pump that you are saying isn't reliable in the 5.0L Cummins.

I personally am not fond of little bitty less than 3.5L diesel engines in full size trucks and think they should stay in midsize trucks since those are mainly bought for economical reasons. A full size half ton truck deserves at least a 4.0L diesel with around 290 hp and 480 lb-ft. At least GM got it right and put their baby diesel in their midsizer.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
That's the part people on here don't get. I have been saying for years that Ram does not play the in-between game that Ford and GM play. Unfortunately for Ram there are people that don't understand that they are buying a half ton on steroids but paying for a 250/2500 weakling.

If you have to add HD payload and HD tow packages to get you wannabe 250/2500 then buy the correct tool for the job. You will be a lot happier in the long run trust me.

Don

x2. For the price of the Nissan you may as well buy a Ram 2500/3500 with a Cummins 6.7L I-6 and have a real truck. And a good reliable high pressure fuel pump too! :B

The Ecodiesel is really in a field of it's own. It is a great little 1/2 ton with a nice little economical diesel. I think if they can get the payload up on a lot of these models they will have a true winner, because that has been the biggest issue with them IMHO.

We'd love to give you a ride home Jimmy but we just don't have the payload. But we can drop your ball off for you. :B

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Frostbitte wrote:

If anything, I'd love to see 8 to 10 speed auto in the 2500/3500's. If any power train can use more gears at this point, I'd say it's be the heavy duty diesels. Love the 68RFE in my 3500 now but I'd love 8 to 10 gears even more. 🙂

We have put 12K on a 2015 3500 RAM 4x4 Laramie in the last 7 months. It has the Aisin MD tranny and the required 3.42 gears. Cruises at 80 bobtail like it is out for a Sunday drive and tows the 5th wheel gear. Not more gears required. Your 68RFE if in had the matching 1-4 gears to the Aisin would be better. The 68RFE does have a lower reverse gear, which is good for towing.

As long at the power band is wider than the shift RPM differences, no additional gears are required and beneficial.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
That's the part people on here don't get. I have been saying for years that Ram does not play the in-between game that Ford and GM play. Unfortunately for Ram there are people that don't understand that they are buying a half ton on steroids but paying for a 250/2500 weakling.

If you have to add HD payload and HD tow packages to get you wannabe 250/2500 then buy the correct tool for the job. You will be a lot happier in the long run trust me.

Don

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer

Don

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
A 1500hd baby diesel would be a monopoly on that type of truck......until someone else offers one. Nissan could do it easily,but ram has the mpg game won by a large margin.
Imo there's a large market in both personal and commercial vehicles for big mpg and big payload without needing the hp to tow the world.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
jus2shy wrote:
Fordlover wrote:

I think it would also depend on agility. I would be OK with the bumper step, but I wouldn't want my father trying it. Looks like a broken ankle or a fall waiting to happen for a guy in his 70's. He would be far more secure and comfortable using the tailgate step.
Doesn't Ford have a patent on the tailgate step?, and I doubt GM or Fiat want to pay for license, which means they'll have to change it enough to avoid patent infringement. Does ram offer any type of tailgate step today?

I loved the tailgate step I had in my 2010 F-150. The newer one is the bee's knees, since the pole is hidden with the actual step.

As for RAM, no. But I just went out and bought an amp step for the back which works pretty well and I like over GM's solution (which still has the step fairly high.

You cam get that same step under the Mopar brand but not on trucks the dual exhaust! 😞

Don

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
Fordlover wrote:

I think it would also depend on agility. I would be OK with the bumper step, but I wouldn't want my father trying it. Looks like a broken ankle or a fall waiting to happen for a guy in his 70's. He would be far more secure and comfortable using the tailgate step.
Doesn't Ford have a patent on the tailgate step?, and I doubt GM or Fiat want to pay for license, which means they'll have to change it enough to avoid patent infringement. Does ram offer any type of tailgate step today?

I loved the tailgate step I had in my 2010 F-150. The newer one is the bee's knees, since the pole is hidden with the actual step.

As for RAM, no. But I just went out and bought an amp step for the back which works pretty well and I like over GM's solution (which still has the step fairly high.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:
Having a tailgate step like Ford is a good thing; I like mine.

Personally I prefer the step incorporated in the bumper of the GM trucks. I think it looks GREAT and its very helpful to climb up when the tailgate is down.

2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
I just dont see the need for more gears in the 2500 up diesels.Coming home from palm springs this year we pulled all day in extremely high winds hitting us from the side and front,13 ft high fiver pulled by a GMC 3500 Dmax,23500 gross.Set her on cruise at 60/65 it makes no diff, just pulls effortlessly ,a similar story for all of the big 3.

Frostbitte
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Is this all because the little diesel weighs a lot more than the 5.7, or are other heavier components involved too? If it's so heavy, how is the fuel economy improved, seems like magic math gets involved.

You could ask the same question of just about any diesel and yet it is so.

The 9-speed was developed for front wheel drive vehicles only. Not saying they couldn't add a gear or two to the current 8-speed, which was developed for rear/all wheel drive vehicles.
2011 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4 6.7 Cummins 6-speed Auto 4.10
2004 Prowler 275 CKS (Sold)
2014 Sabre 36QBOK-7 5th wheel
2016 Forest River 8 x 20 Cargo Trailer

Frostbitte
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure about the half-tons though I'm sure many would like to see an updated payload for them. Or a payload package that would include upgraded spring rates and possibly other parts that would help for the half-ton. I'm sure many would shell out for a package that would boost the standard payload on any model 1500 about 500 lbs. I would if I was in the market for a half-ton.
The current 8-speed is awesome. Wife has it in her Durango. It's smooth, always in the right gear and makes the v6 feel like a v8 of only a few years ago.
If anything, I'd love to see 8 to 10 speed auto in the 2500/3500's. If any power train can use more gears at this point, I'd say it's be the heavy duty diesels. Love the 68RFE in my 3500 now but I'd love 8 to 10 gears even more. 🙂
2011 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4 6.7 Cummins 6-speed Auto 4.10
2004 Prowler 275 CKS (Sold)
2014 Sabre 36QBOK-7 5th wheel
2016 Forest River 8 x 20 Cargo Trailer

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:

Personally I prefer the step incorporated in the bumper of the GM trucks. I think it looks GREAT and its very helpful to climb up when the tailgate is down.

🙂 Hi, actually, I would like to have both type steps, but if I could only have one, it would be the tailgate step.
🙂 Bob 🙂
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS