Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 Cummins IKE pull

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
VIDEO

What do you think? (other than graphic error at 18:35 that says GMC DENALI 🙂 )

For me, the time is about what I expected as it is missing a 10 speed auto and has slightly less power than the Ford.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV
131 REPLIES 131

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"I would still love to see how these trucks do at 80F or even 100F. "

Even pushing 100 trans does not get any higher, fan kicks in and drops to the 190's. This is pulling 33k combined on a steep long grade in the Rockies.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
New RAM I honestly don't know what the brakes do but on my 2015 they do not come on.

I can't set mine to 35 and expect it to stay at 35 it simply is not going to happen with the trucks programming. I have to set it to say 30 and adjust up and down as needed depending on what the actual grade is to stay at 35.

It sounds like the 2020 is like my Ford (uses wheel and trailer brakes as needed) where as yours is the older technology. The Cummins has an extremely capable exhaust brake. I find the exhaust brake on my Ford to be very impressive but based on how the Ram guys talk about theirs I believe the Cummins is even more impressive.

I am still wondering why your truck holds back more going down a steep grade using cruise than it does with only the exhaust brake switched on?

I don't know i guess full on is full on and it must give more when on cruise? Heck i don't know I just know I confidently go down any grade so far in complete control.

Ok I always use TH and FULL EB and when say 55mph I let off it slows to a certain degree. Then when I have cruise on and I touch the brakes just enough to cancel cruise the EB comes on stronger and downshifts more agreeively. This is on flat ground.

I think the computer is programmed to give more EB at certain times.

More info from RAM would be nice on this subject on the 19 and 20's. Bottom line it sure worked well.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
stsmark wrote:
So right at the 4:00 mark the info center in the gauge cluster is showing 230 hp of braking. That’s at 3500 rpm. Then it drops to 0 really fast. Cool that it has that page of info.

I'll concede. 230 reverse HP is more than what is needed to hold that load back on even the steepest part of the hill without the use of wheel brakes.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
So to summarize:

Brake Applications:
Ram: 0 (Auto Brake assisted-unproven theory by Ford fanboys)
Ford: 5
GMC: 9

Time:
Ford: 10:20
Ram: 11:32
GMC: 11:47

MPG:
Ram: 2.5 mpg
Ford: 2.4 mpg
GMC: 2.4 mpg

There, I fixed it for you.

I would still love to see how these trucks do at 80F or even 100F.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
So to summarize:

Brake Applications:
Ram: 0 (Auto Brake assisted)
Ford: 5
GMC: 9

Time:
Ford: 10:20
Ram: 11:32
GMC: 11:47
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

stsmark
Explorer
Explorer
So right at the 4:00 mark the info center in the gauge cluster is showing 230 hp of braking. That’s at 3500 rpm. Then it drops to 0 really fast. Cool that it has that page of info.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
New RAM I honestly don't know what the brakes do but on my 2015 they do not come on.

I can't set mine to 35 and expect it to stay at 35 it simply is not going to happen with the trucks programming. I have to set it to say 30 and adjust up and down as needed depending on what the actual grade is to stay at 35.

It sounds like the 2020 is like my Ford (uses wheel and trailer brakes as needed) where as yours is the older technology. The Cummins has an extremely capable exhaust brake. I find the exhaust brake on my Ford to be very impressive but based on how the Ram guys talk about theirs I believe the Cummins is even more impressive.

I am still wondering why your truck holds back more going down a steep grade using cruise than it does with only the exhaust brake switched on?
B&W Companion

jbc28
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
ib516 wrote:
I'd be surprised if the service brakes are activated without the pedal being pressed. Yes, I know radar (adaptive) cruise control systems do that and so can those pre-collision things, but that's different than a computer dragging the brakes down a grade. How do they know when to "let off" so they don't overheat? Temp sensors in the brakes now? I can't see that being the case.

I think the exhaust brake slowing the truck activates the brakes lights as they are programmed to do.

I am 100% certain that my Ford operates the truck brakes, trailer brakes, brake lights, exhaust brake and transmission shifting automatically when the auto exhaust brake is selected. It works extremely well.

NOT doubting you but why didn’t the Ford slow the load as well as the RAM?

The Ford applies the brakes to slow the truck to "the set point" which is the speed the truck was going at the time the brake pedal or accelerator was last released. after slowing the truck the brake is released and isn't reapplied until the truck accelerates beyond a certain programmed amount. (I don't remember how much it let the truck accelerate before applying the brakes again). Apparently the amount the computer was comfortable allowing the truck to accelerate was more than what Mr. Truck was comfortable with. The Cummins exhaust brake is either capable of holding an extreme amount of back pressure and so it is holding back without a brake application, as you say, or it is reapplying the brakes at more regular intervals to keep the speed more constant.

I think you've said that if you turn the exhaust brake on and let it hold back without utilizing cruise it doesn't hold back the way it does using cruise ..... I think that is the answer to whether cruise employs the wheel brakes or not ..... evidently it does. The other way you can find out is to go down your 14% grade on cruise with 25000 lbs in tow. When you get to the bottom let the truck coast to a stop, then get out and touch your brake rotors. I'd like to see a video showing the expression on your face the instant your finger touches those cold brakes.:)

When I am towing in the rolling hills around here with my F450 sometimes when I crest the hill the adaptive cruise will take it a couple of mph above the set point on the downhill. If the downhill is steep enough I can feel the exhaust brake kick in followed by the tap of the service brakes if it is steep enough. It is very evident at night with the reflection of the tail lights on the camper. Same thing on long steep downhills it will go 2 or 3 mph above then activate the brakes. This is a 2018 F450 with a combined 28-29k. I think Mr Truck wasn't comfortable going that far above the set point.
2018 F450 Lariat Ultimate
2019 Momentum 381M

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
Amazes me how quiet any of them are, even at full tilt.

So true! My wife and I had to basically shout at each other in the 98 12V pulling the Siskyous, now it's just normal conversation.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:

Scott, we had a 2001 Ram 2500 CTD, and it was a bit loud, to say the least. DD has a 2004 Ram 3500 DRW CTD and it is noticeably quieter than the 2001.Now our 2016, is very quiet!! There are times I think it is a gas engine it is so quiet, then you hit a hill and while still quiet, it just climbs!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
ib516 wrote:
I'd be surprised if the service brakes are activated without the pedal being pressed. Yes, I know radar (adaptive) cruise control systems do that and so can those pre-collision things, but that's different than a computer dragging the brakes down a grade. How do they know when to "let off" so they don't overheat? Temp sensors in the brakes now? I can't see that being the case.

I think the exhaust brake slowing the truck activates the brakes lights as they are programmed to do.

I am 100% certain that my Ford operates the truck brakes, trailer brakes, brake lights, exhaust brake and transmission shifting automatically when the auto exhaust brake is selected. It works extremely well.

The Ford applies the brakes to slow the truck to "the set point" which is the speed the truck was going at the time the brake pedal or accelerator was last released. after slowing the truck the brake is released and isn't reapplied until the truck accelerates beyond a certain programmed amount. (I don't remember how much it let the truck accelerate before applying the brakes again). Apparently the amount the computer was comfortable allowing the truck to accelerate was more than what Mr. Truck was comfortable with. The Cummins exhaust brake is either capable of holding an extreme amount of back pressure and so it is holding back without a brake application, as you say, or it is reapplying the brakes at more regular intervals to keep the speed more constant.

I think you've said that if you turn the exhaust brake on and let it hold back without utilizing cruise it doesn't hold back the way it does using cruise ..... I think that is the answer to whether cruise employs the wheel brakes or not ..... evidently it does. The other way you can find out is to go down your 14% grade on cruise with 25000 lbs in tow. When you get to the bottom let the truck coast to a stop, then get out and touch your brake rotors. I'd like to see a video showing the expression on your face the instant your finger touches those cold brakes.:)
B&W Companion

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

blt2ski
srt20 wrote:

IIRC CO requires ALL vehicles to have chains in the vehicle on passes. If you get in a crash and block lanes of traffic without having chains IN the vehicle its a $15xx fine.
I was just on the IKE last week in a truck and trailer with no chains, luckily not snowing. But I was a bit surprised at the signs regarding the chains. I thought it was trucks with trailers that didn't have snowflake tires that required chains.
Lots of darned traffic on that road....There was no way we could go up the west side (side that TFL uses) without getting off the go pedal because of traffic, semis going slow, cars go fast.

I was in a SRW Duramax that easily handled the IKE, of course it had a pretty light load, 6000ish. Had LOTS of brake applications on way down east side because of traffic.

Washington is similar, but if You have a 4X or equal, and get into a wreck, your fault or not, no chains "ON" and with you, its a $300-400 fine ticket. Assuming all others need chains but AWD/4wd. My old dually, and my 96 SW K3500 were both licensed over 10K GVW. So even if I have snowflake tires, "chains required over 10K gvw" I need to chain up, even tho both were 4wd. Altho most LEO's looked the other way..... it could get expensive if something happened. Towing my TT in the winter to the local pass, also required chains when the over 10K chain up sign is out. As I was now at 15-16K literal lbs combined.
Here it is only the actual GVW potential that matter, commercial or private, does not matter. Will assume based on other states I've traveled in, in the winter months, they have very similar laws to Washington as to who has to carry, use at given times.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
ib516 wrote: