cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

20lb Horizontal Propane Tank out of date....

CptnBG
Explorer
Explorer
So, my 12+ year old Truck Camper has an out of date horizontal propane tank that cannot be refilled legally. I'm aware that you can have them recertified for a 5 year extension but no one in my area does this. One welding supply will ship it off for a $40 fee. Online prices I have found are $180+ :E Anyone found a cheaper source?
'03 2500HD CrewCab SB 6.0 Gas 4x4
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
Bilsteins 5100
2014 1500 Silverado 5.3 Double Cab
1951 Chevy 3100
Formally OBXcamper
44 REPLIES 44

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
CptnBG wrote:
... Plan B is to use a regular BBQ tank on the ground with an extension hose. What a pain.....
I have that setup in my 5th wheel for a backup.

I have had tanks certified at a major propane distributor on several occasions. They just look at the tank to see if it is damaged, put a sticker on it and charge me $5.

Other than a major propane distributor, I do not recall anyone checking the dates. As stated, if the tank is clean and rust free they fill it, no questions asked.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I can't imagine that shipping them off somewhere is cheaper than just buying new tanks. Heck, how can you even legally ship a used empty propane bottle? When they're empty is when they're the most explosive.

You gotta do what you gotta do if you want them recertified. Otherwise you could just hope the kid at the propane pump doesn't pay attention when he fills them. Around here nobody checks the dates. If the tank is clean and rust free they fill it, no questions asked.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

CptnBG
Explorer
Explorer
Thankjs everyone for the suggestions. my 2004 tank does have the OPD valve and the new type threads. My problem is that NONE of the bulk propane suppliers in my area do the recert. I spent a lot of time on the phone yesterday calling welding supplys, hardware stores RV sales/, etc. etc. Still waiting on one call back.

The closest recert place to me is Blossman Propane in Bedford Va. The problem there is that the recert guy also does deliveries, so a **** shoot if he is in.

Plan B is to use a regular BBQ tank on the ground with an extension hose. What a pain.....
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
Bilsteins 5100
1951 Chevy 3100
Formally OBXcamper

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Steve_in_29 wrote:
tattoobob wrote:
Horizontal tanks are exempt from the OPD Law and the old valves are fine

I am pretty positive that only chassis mounted horizontal tanks are exempt not the portable ones like the OP has.
tattoobob is correct. I have older horizontal tanks in my 5th wheel, no problem having them filled. The first 2 to 4 years it was touch and go. I have a PDF somewhere that explains it all.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
tattoobob wrote:

I am pretty positive that only chassis mounted horizontal tanks are exempt not the portable ones like the OP has.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

tattoobob
Explorer
Explorer
If someone has a copy of the code that tells us that Horizontal tanks are exempt form the law could you please post it
2005 Ford F350 SRW 4x4

2000 Lance 1010

tattoobob
Explorer
Explorer
tattoobob wrote:

I can't seem to find what the old code says so they must have changed it in the newer codes to date,

2-3.1.5 Cylinders with 4 lb (1.8 kg) through 40 lb (18 kg) propane
capacity for vapor service shall comply with the following:
(a) * Cylinders fabricated after September 30, 1998, shall
be equipped or fitted with a listed overfilling prevention
device and a fixed maximum liquid level gauge. These
devices shall be part of the container assembly. The length of
the fixed maximum liquid level gauge dip tube shall be in
accordance with 4-4.3.3(a).
(b) Cylinders requalified after September 30, 1998, shall
be equipped with an overfilling prevention device and a fixed
maximum liquid level gauge prior to being filled.
(c) Effective April 1, 2002, no cylinder shall be filled
unless it is equipped with an overfilling prevention device
and a fixed maximum liquid level gauge. The length of the
fixed maximum liquid level gauge dip tube shall be in accordance
with 4-4.3.3(a).
(d) Cylinders required to have an overfilling prevention
device installed shall be equipped with either a CGA connection
number 791 or a CGA connection number 810 as
described in CGA Publication V-1.
Exception: All cylinders used in industrial truck service (including
forklift truck cylinders) and cylinders identified and used for industrial
welding and cutting gases shall be exempt from these requirements.
2005 Ford F350 SRW 4x4

2000 Lance 1010

tattoobob
Explorer
Explorer
2005 Ford F350 SRW 4x4

2000 Lance 1010

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
I have had several tanks recertified in in the last decade . The price varies greatly with not much rhyme or reason . These are aluminum 30# tanks so it was worth it to me . The first two were $ 40 including the new OPD valves . Just to recert them the next time was $5 + a refill . About 3 years ago when went to fill one of them it was out of date . They charged me an extra $8 to recert , this was in upstate NY . The most recent one I found at the recycle center . It also needed a new valve . This I took to a welding supply . The charge was $85 for recert , new valve and a fill . The moral of the story is as you travel around and and pass any gas supply , stop and ask , you may be pleasantly surprised . Fewer places are willing to do it any more .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

getpower1
Explorer
Explorer
Just ran into this problem.

I've owned my camper for about a year. When I bought it, the tanks needed to be filled. I got lucky. Went to the local gas station with my buddy that used to work at a rental place and filled tanks, so he knew how to properly fill them. This gas station used to have a lot of teenage kids working for them and they didn't know better. So I got my tanks filled that day no problem.

I went on a lot of camping trips before the first tank ran out. But, always searching for a solution to a problem looming over my head, I never stopped looking for a solution and asking around. I have found horizontal tanks on the very popular auction site for $140ish with free shipping. So, that's nice. But, in my questioning of everyone who would know anything RV related, I ended up talking to that same buddy's dad who lives at a trailer park. He asked the maintinence dude there about my issue, and we found out that that guy recertified and fills those tanks.

So, easy, right? When the tank went empty, I could just give it to my guy, and he can take it to his place and have it done. He calls me and tells me that he guy will need to change the valve. The recirt, valve install, and filling will come out to $95. I told him go ahead because I live in an area where metal goes bad and I figure I'm money ahead still even if I have to buy a new tank next time. But, it also occurs to me that now the tank has the new opd valve on it and I probably won't have to ever have it recertified again too. We will see how that last part plays out.

Anyway, that's how I've solved that problem so far. Call around to close trailer parks and see if they offer those services. It's not just special suppliers that can do it.

Hope some of that helps.
2003 Aljo 259LT
2018 Ram 3500, SRW, 4x4, CTD, HO, Aisin

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Could you go ASME tank instead of a cylinder? No more recert.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/lp-gas/lp-gas-tanks.htm

Not exactly low cost option.

tattoobob
Explorer
Explorer
Horizontal Propane Tank,

This is where I bought the 2 I had to replace
2005 Ford F350 SRW 4x4

2000 Lance 1010

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see 2 quite different cylinders on the link.

CptnBG
Explorer
Explorer
stickdog wrote:
06Fargo wrote:
$52 bucks at CW for 20 US Lbs bottle

Clickage

It's a horizontal tank not your adverage BBQ tank.

Yes, this is what I need...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VBJZP6/ref=s9_simh_gw_g263_i1_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVP...
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
Bilsteins 5100
1951 Chevy 3100
Formally OBXcamper

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
stickdog wrote:
06Fargo wrote:
$52 bucks at CW for 20 US Lbs bottle

Clickage

It's a horizontal tank not your adverage BBQ tank.

...and I re-read the original post (but not the title apparently) 3 times 😄