cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

24 foot TT can I camp at tent sites?

mapett
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I'm new to this site. I have a possible option to get a great deal on an older but in great shape 24 foot TT. I don't love being close to all the trailers, it seems sort of cramped to me, as someone who has never done that type of camping. With a 24 foot trailer, if I'm not picky about hook ups and stuff, will most parks allow me to park in tent type spots? Also, are there spots that are bigger with a bit more privacy like the tent spots specifically for trailers at many parks and campgrounds? I am in Colorado, but never bothered to think about this stuff until this new option presented itself. FYI, I have two little kids as well. Thanks!
32 REPLIES 32

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
You don't like being crowded in next to a bunch of big trailers. So, you're going to jam a 24' trailer into a tent site. Doesn't that seem a bit ironic? Think of the tent campers around you.
I wouldn't do it. Just find a campground that has large sites with room in between. Every campground is different. Some are like subdivisions or parking lots, some have large isolated sites.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably not at tent sites. But, some of the park I frequent have sites in the back that have no electricity and can be used by either small TT or tents.

If you decide to go camping without plugging in you need to read up on here about electricity conservation and upgrading your batteries.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I've camped in tent sites (with a tent) that were "walk in only", as in on a foot trail. No way in heck to get a TT there.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most tent sites we go to is setup where you park your vehicle in an designated parking spot and carry your tent and camping supplies off the road a short distance to setup.

I too would not do this unless it was absolutely necessary. My home camp ground is Westmoreland STATE Park i Virginia and they have designated areas for the Large motorhomes sites, regular size TT sites, and tent sites. Their B-Site has both Electric hookups sites and included Tent sites without Electric hookups.

Several of these are right next to each other. This is great for us because we usually setup a gazebo tent around the picnic table etc... If our grandkids are with us they love the tent camping better then out of the trailers anyway...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Hiker_01
Explorer
Explorer
I realize is all depends on the parks you are staying at, but most of the time we stay at state parks. Typically a bit more rustic and campsites are not as developed, but usually much more spread out than commercial sites. I've been to some here in Texas that you have to walk 30-50 yards to the next site.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
LVJJJ wrote:
If I was tenting in a designated tenting site, I sure wouldn't want a big old travel trailer blocking the sunrise or sunset.

(I'm a trailerist)

I find this is really dependent upon the campground. In most of the campgrounds where I stay, there is so much forest that there isn't a wide open view to be blocked and most of the views are to be had at the back of the site - where there aren't any neighbors. So, trailerers and tenters and motorhomers and vaners and truck camperers and so on all intermix without any serious issue. And to be fair, many of the tenters have far more view blocking gear set up around their site - with multiple tents of 6-7ft, several tarps hung at 7+ft, ez ups and screen rooms, etc.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
In NY State most of the campgrounds list what's allowed. Many sites we like have a length restriction. Mostly under 30'. Stayed under 30' with ours intentionally.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
LVJJJ wrote:
If I was tenting in a designated tenting site, I sure wouldn't want a big old travel trailer blocking the sunrise or sunset.

(I'm a trailerist)
I agree. If it is designated as a tent site, that's what it should always be.

We had many happy years of tent camping before retiring. After retiring, we purchased a TT and wouldn't even think about occupying a tent site even if our TT would fit.

However, we have been at some public parks where sites have had elevated tent pads but the same sites were also large enough for good sized trailers and were available for use by either tents or trailers.

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer

(I'm a trailerist)
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

mapett
Explorer
Explorer
qtla, how big is your TT that you tow with the Durango? You like it? I'm finding my wife a hard sell on a big truck, but I want to know I can tow in the mountains without too much difficulty.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
We stopped in five different Oregon state parks. All had tent sites. I asked at all of them and they said the same, "if it fits, it's yours". Not sure about other states or parks.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Generally if the RV fits you can camp. Just try to blend in with no generator etc.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
but I would bet they say no trainers in the tent sites.

Don't you just hate autocorrect. :@

mapett
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, like I said, I've never actually thought about this stuff, so I never noticed. I really appreciate the good explanations!

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I thought, Tent Sites, was pretty self explanatory. Most won't even have a drive in to get on the site.:B
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds