cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3/4 ton gasser gas mileage?

TundraTower
Explorer
Explorer
Monday we are going to try out a 3/4 ton gas Silverado 3/4 ton, 4.1 axle ratio, 4WD. Going from a Tundra because we've run out of GVWR on the truck (because we take too much stuff).

We get 8-9 MPG in the Tundra towing 8K lbs. What kind of gas mileage is anyone getting in the 3/4 ton gas Chevy's or GMC's with similar gear ratio --- solo and towing ???

Thanks.
2013 Tundra, 5.7FF, TRD, 4WD, tow pkg
2014 Forest River Cherokee 264
Prodigy II / Equalizer 10K
103 nights & 12,700 miles since April '13
69 REPLIES 69

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
ShinerBock wrote:
Turd? Is that a typo or was that on purpose? Kind of a **** thing to say about someones truck for no reason if was the later.

What they call them at the Toyota Dealer too. Turd.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth, it's the TRD (Toyota Racing Division) packages

Just so we're all on the same page, it's:

Toyota Racing Development

TRD
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:
TundraTower wrote:
Before there's any more insults, the Tundra is the nicest, best performing, best handling, most reliable truck I've ever had. I bought 7 new chevy's over 33 years and finally gave up on their quality and went to Toyota. Never had a problem and it's done everything we've asked it to do, including pulling that trailer over the continental divide 4 times.

This is the most un-excited I've ever been about trading vehicles. But we need more capacity and Toyota doesn't make a 3/4 ton. If they did, I'd already have it.

I was concerned about gas mileage because the 3/4 ton itself weighs 1200 lbs more than the tundra, has less HP (360 vs my 381), and has a taller gear ratio (4.1 vs 4.3 in the Tundra). All of those numbers are going in the wrong direction for power and gas mileage.

x2

You may be letting the gvwr have way too much influence over your decision to change vehicles. If you had different numbers on your door sticker would you be satisfied with your truck?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
ib516 wrote:
7-9 mpg depending on terrain, speed at which you tow, and wind.

I got 7-9 towing 12k with a 6.4L Hemi with 4.10s.
14-18 mpg empty depending on speed and wind.

That was a great truck, and I'm sure you will get another one some day.

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 2500HD crew cab, 6.0L, 4.10, 6 spd and tow a TT with a GVWR of 11,070 (about 7100 dry). Avg MPG towing is 8-8.5 and local truck only driving is 13.5. Truck alone would be better on a trip probably around 15-16 MPG but haven't taken any empty trips. I bought the truck to tow and for local grocery getter / parts trips. I have 3 trailers (2 14K and the TT). Anyone who tows would love to get better MPG. I don't worry about it. All of my above list MPG has been local back road driving, no highway miles. Its possible more highway miles would raise the overall MPG.

On a side note I previously had a 2500HD Duramax that would get 19MPG empty and 14 MPG towing 7500 lbs on the highway. It was a lease truck which I should have bought at the end but for some reason I didn't and I couldn't justify the added price buying a diesel in 2016 for the short runs.

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
TundraTower wrote:
Before there's any more insults, the Tundra is the nicest, best performing, best handling, most reliable truck I've ever had. I bought 7 new chevy's over 33 years and finally gave up on their quality and went to Toyota. Never had a problem and it's done everything we've asked it to do, including pulling that trailer over the continental divide 4 times.

This is the most un-excited I've ever been about trading vehicles. But we need more capacity and Toyota doesn't make a 3/4 ton. If they did, I'd already have it.

I was concerned about gas mileage because the 3/4 ton itself weighs 1200 lbs more than the tundra, has less HP (360 vs my 381), and has a taller gear ratio (4.1 vs 4.3 in the Tundra). All of those numbers are going in the wrong direction for power and gas mileage.

x2

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
Turd? Is that a typo or was that on purpose? Kind of a **** thing to say about someones truck for no reason if was the later.

Common slang term for Tundra. Most any Tundra owner will understand

Hmmm. News to me. I never heard the owners I know or any of the fiends and family that build them here in SA call them that. Carry on then.

x2 we like our Tundra. Pulled our 30' 6,000 lb trailer all over the US with no issues. Good mileage unless you stomp on it and drive 70 miles an hour with your hair on fire.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
TundraTower wrote:

Don't be concerned with the rear axle ratio too much. It's been a while since I looked up the ratios, but IIRC the Tundra has unusually tall (numerically low) transmission ratios which necessitates a lower (numerically high) rear axle ratio. Overall gearing should be comparable, as should performance and mileage, although you might be a little slower.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

eflyersteve
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:

Common slang term for Tundra. Most any Tundra owner will understand

Hmmm. News to me. I never heard the owners I know or any of the fiends and family that build them here in SA call them that. Carry on then.

For what it's worth, it's the TRD (Toyota Racing Division) packages that are referred to as 'turd' But no, it's not slang for tundra or Tacoma.
2019 Coachmen Freedom Express 204RD
2011 F150 Super Crew FX4, 5.0L V8
Husky Centerline WD Hitch

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
All three HD gassers are going to be about the same mileage as your Toyota, empty and towing. You didn't say if your looking at new, but if so, a Ford 6.2 with 4.30s will give close to same power/mileage you have now, with much more payload. Only gaining payload with the 3/4 GM, but less performance will likely be a disappointment.

Jerry

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you will see significantly different mileage.

Fuelly doesn't have a ton of info on them, but it looks like you should see 11-12 MPG overall vs about 14 MPG in the Tundra.
Chevy 2500
Tundra Fuelly

Personally, if going gasser 2500, I would skip the GM twins and go with either Ford or RAM. Considerably more powerful gas options.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
7-9 mpg depending on terrain, speed at which you tow, and wind.

I got 7-9 towing 12k with a 6.4L Hemi with 4.10s.
14-18 mpg empty depending on speed and wind.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:

Toyota slaps that nickname right on the side

Ha Ha Ha! That is TRD as in Toyota Racing Development which gets slapped on any Toyota car, truck or SUV with the extra sport package.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:

Toyota slaps that nickname right on the side

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
I guess the OP never heard them called Turds as a term of endearment either.

OP, I have several friends that have them and a few of them along with some family members that build them here in San Antone. They are great trucks and the only complaint I ever hear about them is their fuel economy.

As far as your question. I don't think your fuel mileage will be much different in the HD truck unless it was a diesel.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS