Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 down dinghy towing, looking for new car

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
https://prodcontent.s3.amazonaws.com/motorhomemagazine.com/2017DinghyGuide.pdf

Okay wife wants a new car, in 5 yrs we looking for possible options to use the car as a 4 down toad.

Problem: Wife hates cars on above link, what she likes is toyoto Rav 4, Honda CRV, subaru outback. Just starting to get our feet wet with this. Anything we could request/do/change at the dealership where we may be able to tow one of these cars 4 down?

Happy wife=happy life :B

Thanks everyone for your help

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)
30 REPLIES 30

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Saturn as a third car..only using it for flat tow...this thing is tough as nails and easy as pie to tow and set up..Chevrolet actually has a fleet model of this called the Captiva which you can buy used from Enterprise Hertz etc...I also have the Sonic which can be flat towed in case anything happened to my Saturn. The Saturn features the CR-V drivetrain which as long as you take care of it (and I do) it will do very well (it is and continues to) ...although if necessary would probably get a Ford F150 truck 4 door to replace wife's 2011 truck and that is flat towable as well...I stick with what I have because we take our dogs everywhere and I don't want to dog hair a brand new one..and Mr Mark knows our dogs and they do go everywhere....
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I believe they line up as follows:

Ford Escape = Lincoln MKC
Ford Edge = Lincoln MKX
Ford Explorer = Lincoln MKT
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
bullydogs1 wrote:
I also know someone towing a Lincoln MKT which I think is Lincoln's explorer...

Hey Mr. Bullydogs,

I always thought that the Lincoln MKT was the Ford Flex clone. In the old days, they had the Lincoln Aviator which was Lincoln's sister to the Ford Explorer.

I lined up the Lincoln MKT, Ford Flex and the Ford Explorer on the Lincoln 'comparison' website and the MKT and Flex do have the same wheelbase of 117.9, the Explorer is 112.8.

Otherwise, they all compare very close to each other. So now, I'm not sure.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
I also know someone towing a Lincoln MKT which I think is Lincoln's explorer...

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
lj2654 wrote:
FMCA just came out with all the vehicles that are 4 down towable for 2018.

A few more have dropped off the list. I was going to sell my 2012 Cadillac SRX and get a XT5 but they are not towable and they dont make the SRX anymore.

Take a look at the new Lincoln MKX that is soon to be called the Nautilus in 2019 (slight updated restyled exterior). Lincoln is going to get away from the 'letter' designation which I'm glad to see.

The Lincoln MKX is larger in every way compared to the Cadillac XT5 which is not towable anyway. The Lincoln is wider, a little taller, longer and is towable four down. It has a little more head room and leg room (Front and Rear) and more cargo space. The Lincoln gas mileage is slightly less.

Ours is the top of the line with the twin turbo charged 2.7 with 365hp, AWD, with parking assist and the lane keeping feature. It's really nice, you should check it out.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

RFCN2
Explorer
Explorer
We went from a Saturn car to a Jeep Wrangler. The Jeep is so darn easy to use. The tow is higher and don't have to bend over as much. And you just disconnect the transmission with one pull. Takes 30 seconds. The key comes out so no locking wheel. And they are so much fun when you get where you are going. If I was buying a new tow today I would get the new model Wrangler 4 door. I am only undecided on auto or manual transmission. Jeep Wranglers have the lowest depreciation of any car.
RFCN2
Country Coach
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
We have more researching to do, may come back with a more detailed question or two.

Thanks everyone for your help

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
FMCA just came out with all the vehicles that are 4 down towable for 2018.

A few more have dropped off the list. I was going to sell my 2012 Cadillac SRX and get a XT5 but they are not towable and they dont make the SRX anymore.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
Many GM vehicles 4 down towable...as is Ford Edge or Explorer .. GM has Equinox towable and Sonic too. I hold onto the toad in my signature and keep it in good shape...Car is unbeatable and tows beautifully plus my daily driver is a Sonic and that is 4 down...

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
whatever you decide on, be sure the owner's manual discusses recreational towing, or towing behind a motorhome for the "correct" information.
of those you mention, I think the Honda (older) is the only one towable 4 down. I had a drive shaft disconnect on my S-10 PU and hated it. had a speedometer disconnect on my Tracker.
as stated be sure that you don't void warranties if a new vehicle.

a lot depends on if you want an automatic or manual transmission.
bumpy

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Yup. Basically throw some money at a brand new car and you can make it towable 4 down. Just make sure you don't void the factory warranty doing so.

Or you can just get a used 2014 or older CR-V. You might even be able to find one for less that a new one.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Remco

That site will tell you to make a car 4 down towable.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

happy-2
Explorer
Explorer
2015 chevy captiva sport, front wheel drive,4 cyl,auto, can't beat it. Always read the owners manuel before towing 4 down.

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
The best compromise may be to buy her what she wants and then buy a trailer to tow it when you need a toad.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
2014 Honda CR-V or older
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime