Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

4 wheel drive

Dukec
Explorer
Explorer
All
I have a question concerning 4x4 trucks and why I would want one. I will be looking for a new 1 ton truck that will replace my F150 tow vehicle. Everywhere I look at dealer lots and inventory all I see is 4x4s. In the prevailing thought is this better from a towing standpoint? Or is this the dealer and manufacturer conspiring to get more of my cash?
I currently have a bumper pull trailer that my 150 can and does pull but I feel right at the line. I have no interest in boondocking or using the truck for anything off road. I know the dealers harp on resale value but I am buying it for me not the next guy.

Appreciate you thoughts much.

Dukec
82 REPLIES 82

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
This topic comes up from time to time. It's personal preference. I've had a 2wd truck, as the other poster said and many times wished it was 4wd. But never the other way around. I have spun in 2wd trying to back a tt up into a site at a state park. Loose Gravel site, up an incline. Kicked her into 4wd and she walked it right up. If i can afford it, I'll never own a 2wd truck again, period.

Op, it sounds to me like your mind was made up from the beginning. Good luck. You need to buy what you want and that's the most important thing.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just saw a newer Ford F 350 2 WD truck. It was a regular cab and is in service for a large lawn care company. It had a big plastic barrel of some liquid in the bed and if I recall correctly was towing a utility trailer loaded with lawn care equipment.

I was actually surprised to see it, as many have said, 4WD seems to be the norm.

gopherslayer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2wd 2500 Yukon XL with Nitto Dura Grapplers and they are not good on wet grass. I've been stuck in my yard twice with this and the camper hooked up. We've had a very wet spring and summer so far, it's really ridiculous with standing water and a spongy feel when you walk. Any way, last time I pulled my camper out of the yard I hooked my 1/2 ton Silverado 4x4 up to it but left it in 2wd. Pulled the camper out no problem. The difference was the Nokian A/T tires. Tires never even slipped.

Gary_C
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
I really don't understand these diesel and grass problem comments. I recently sold 24 acres of sloping pasture I owned. Drove my two different F350 diesels all over it wet and dry and never used 4x4 unless it was sloppy muddy. Wet grass never a problem.

I live in the country in central Mississippi. I special ordered my 98 Dodge 2500 diesel when I was younger and poorer and specified 2WD because I didn't think I'd ever need it. In the years since I've been stuck in my yard on wet grass so many times that the front air dam off is off of it from the chain I use to hook my tractor to it pull it out. During the winter it'll rain so much around here that it won't dry out for several months, I know that if I need to move one of my trailers I'll just have to pull the truck with the tractor, otherwise the choice is not to use it for months. I've been stuck on wet grass dozens if not hundreds of times, and this is with all terrain tires on the back and a limited slip differential.

Last year I bought a new Tundra, I didn't even think of not getting 4x4. I've cussed 2WD so many times that at 48 years old there's no way I'm going through that any more. Life's too short for that BS. NEVER again will I buy a truck without 4WD.

Dukec
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for all the comments.
I just don't feel like giving my hard earned retirement dollars to the dealers or manufacturers.
Had multiple trucks thru the years and never had 4 wd.
We do get some snow here in the winter but I plan to be south - way south when it flys.
Still thinking F350 gas is the ticket!

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Only thing kind of nice is low range is effectively a creeper gear if you need to back into a steep spot.

Otherwise, haven't gotten stuck in this mytical wet grass. Of course with an exta 2000lbs on the pin, the rear tires get plenty of traction.

If you haven't needed it so far, you probably don't need it now.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
Hi.. I live in Colorado. And have a 4 wheel drive 2500 truck.. I need 4 wheel drive for winter driving and have found it great help in towing 5th wheel in muddy camp grounds. Jim2007
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I grew up in Northwestern Montana. Yep, BIG TIME "snow country!
I started driving in 1958. Never had a 4X4. went camping, fishing, exploring, drove up skid trails, etc. in 4X2 vehicles, quite often a 1939 Ford Coupe.
I finally got a 4X4 in 1970. IIRC, I engaged the four wheel drive maybe 4 times over the years I had it.
I towed a fifth wheel around the West with a 4X2 Dodge 3500 CTD dually for about two years. After we settled in one spot and parked the fifth wheel, I used that truck as a daily driver, and for hauling horse hay. Sometimes we drove out in the hay field, picking up bales and loading them on a 16 foot flatbed trailer. Sometimes we drove into the farmer's muddy yard and he put 35 bales on the truck for us. Never got stuck. I towed a 16 foot flatbed trailer with an AMC Eagle SX/4 on it across Donner Pass in a blizzard. Yes, chains were required (but they would have been required for a 4X4 when towing a trailer). Other than that, no problem.
My current truck is a 4X4. Not because I wanted or needed a 4X4, but because I liked the truck and it just happened to be that. It does not have a limited slip rear differential, so I had to put in in four wheel drive a couple times last winter when I stopped at the mailbox on the way out, and couldn't get going again. But then, after I put six 70 pound sandbags in the box that problem went away! This coming winter, I will put the sand bags in the bed at the first sign of snow.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

JESTER7406
Explorer
Explorer
Two folks I have camped with both USED to own 2wd. I rarely use mine, but I have it. As mentioned, it helps with slippery situations. When I most use mine is on gravel roads. I feel it is easier on my truck.

From a towing standpoint it adds a bit of weight to the front of TV. That does subtract from the cargo carrying capacity somewhat though, but if you are that close then my feeling is you are already there.

From a dealer standpoint, that's what sells. And they are right with resale points also.
Happy Trails,
Jesse
2006 Cheverolet 2500

JESTER7406
Explorer
Explorer
Two folks I have camped with both USED to own 2wd. I rarely use mine, but I have it. As mentioned, it helps with slippery situations. When I most use mine is on gravel roads. I feel it is easier on my truck.

From a towing standpoint it adds a bit of weight to the front of TV. That does subtract from the cargo carrying capacity somewhat though, but if you are that close then my feeling is you are already there.

From a dealer standpoint, that's what sells. And they are right with resale points also.
Happy Trails,
Jesse
2006 Cheverolet 2500

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
To the OP, if you are comfortable with a 2 wheeler currently and in the past, no reason to change and spend more. A lot more. Actually I'd encourage looking used. Used 2 wheelers are cheeep. If Ford, find one with the E locker rear axle. GM, make sure it's got the G80 locker, most do I think. Ram has decent /normal limited slip axles. Some weight in the bed and an aggressive set of tires will get you a lot of places.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
I live very close to MIS and in prior years, I've made some good money pulling stuck campers out of the infield when it rains (and it usually does on a race weekend). I either use my 4x4 F350 (lockers front and rear) or in the case of a big pull, one of my front wheel assist farm tractors.

I always have them sign a hold harmless relieving me from any damage because sometimes it entails a frame stretching pull. I get tremendous traction with a big 4 wheel drive farm tractor. I've never had one I cannot pull.

Quit doing it a couple summers ago, PITA to wash down the equipment all the time.

My biggest tractor with the front loader (forks on) can pick up a 1 ton pickup truck no issue. Done that before too. Did that for the guy across the road this year. His kid high centered his (old man's) pickup truck on a stump and I had to lift it off. 3500 GM diesel, Picked it up like a toy. Just not responsible for damage.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
I really don't understand these diesel and grass problem comments. I recently sold 24 acres of sloping pasture I owned. Drove my two different F350 diesels all over it wet and dry and never used 4x4 unless it was sloppy muddy. Wet grass never a problem. I hunt in the TX hill country and we have a dirt and grass "road" about a half mile thru pastures to our cabin. Again I have never used 4x4 unless sloppy muddy. And have never had to use 4x4 to pull the 34' 5er out of a grass RV site.

I don't think I am that much better driver than any one else. :h

I must be a good driver too. I've been stuck in my field once. I wonder what people with motor homes do? They must always stay on paved roads.

One of the things the folks in the motor homes do is ask us with the big heavy 4X4 pickup trucks to give them a tow. Especially in the areas where you see so many rental units it seems folks get their rigs struck quite often. I've pulled at least a dozen out myself over the years. Unfortunately for them, I wasn't always able to get them out, and those folks were in remote areas where a tow truck costs a fortune if you can find one that will come out.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
jfkmk wrote:
lawrosa wrote:
coming back from florida to NJ we got off track in WV. GPS was wrong. Well yellow line in road disappeared. Then road narrowed and turned to dirt. had to turn around. But 50 ft of truck and trailer all I found was a sloped small field off the right side of road..

I carefully backed the trailer down the slope and tried to keep in straight line. I had to go down far enough till truck nose cleared fence on other side.

Put in drive and tires started spinning immediately. Chevy has a locker rear. Eased on gas some and locker en-gauged but wheels started digging in.

Trying to get 13000 lbs moving up an incline on grass just wasn't happening.

Looked at my wife, and she looked at me and said "well?"

I reached my hand down by the floor, pulled back on the lever, I gave to truck a little gas. And away we went.

Straightened out, threw it back in 2wd and continued are trip.

Wife says " I wonder what that would of cost to have a tow find us and get us out?"

I said , " which one of us was going to walk the 2 or 3 miles to the one house we saw, or till we got a cell signal? ( Non existent in WV ) And , we are from NJ and I am not sure they would Not take kindly to knocking on their door."

" And which one of us would feel safe enough to stay with the kids?"

Times like that you wish you had a gun. ( I dont own any guns)

As a matter of fact heres the house.. My wife took a pic as we were coming back out.

More confederate flags then you can shake a stick at!!!!!

And an OUTHOUSE!!!!

With that said, Ive always had 4x4 in my trucks. If I need it once it pays for itself...period.

Good thing you didn't hear "Dualing Banjos"! ๐Ÿ™‚

I have the conventional cell phone but I also always carry a SAT phone. I have it for hunting trips where cell service is not available. It's use and pay and it's not cheap (airtime), but they work anywhere in the world. Like a GPS, they connect to communications satellites. I recommend having one.

You can be in bum fudge West by God and still use it to call for help.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Dave H M wrote:
I ordered my F250 and one of the reasons was to get 2 WD. I don't need 4 WD.

i think the wet grass syndrome is 90 some percent urban legend.

i know the big dogs look down on me cus i don't have that huge 4X4 decal. ๐Ÿ˜›

I am a flat lander that does not venture out into snow and ice with the truck since i don't have to use it to get to work.

Anyhow it is what you need and what makes you feel comfortable with the trim, definitely not what "I think you need."

have fun out there.

I must be in the 10% non-urban legend then.

Me too...
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP