cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

6.0 chev

Busdriver
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is anyone towing heavy 11'000 lbs with a 3500 Chevy . Thinging about new truck don't want a another diesel.

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS
36 REPLIES 36

APT
Explorer
Explorer
We love our 6.0L. As long as you are willing to let it spin to 4000rpm or 5500rpm at times, it will not complain.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Busdriver
Explorer II
Explorer II
Guess it dont matter have decided to go with the Diesel. thanks for all the replyes

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Well the unit is really well built, we have only 2 issues and one being the slide in for the main area leaks a little in a bad storm but only when it's already pulled in....still scratching my head on this one... And the other is an ongoing gas alarm that goes off with no gas on.... Despite having a new battery for the camper all is well. I want to add the flush system for the rear extra tank.... Your right I have found almost nobody with our units. But I can tell you if you ever decide to sell, these units go fast and for good money! Seems like your 6.7 should pull it very easily! I think if Ford or another manufacture would bring in a 5.0 or larger with the ecoboost they will have a winner. I have shied away from diesel just because of the crazy repair bills if anything goes south. They are awesome pullers though! Let me know if your camper has the same issues, you have the new color scheme which I like better then mine btw.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
alexleblanc wrote:
the low end torque just isn't there and makes for much more of a strained towing experience.

Clearly you haven't towed with the 6-speed transmission and the 4.10. There's no need for low end torque, as the gearing is so deep in 1st that the truck is wound out by the time it hits about 5MPH.

Where my FIL has his biggest problem with his 2015 6.0 with 4.10's is backing the rig into some of the spots around here. That's where the low torque comes in for him.

If it's 4 wheel drive, put it in low range for those situations.

Don't do good on blacktop jacking hard while backing.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
alexleblanc wrote:
I will say as a side note though that next to the big diesels out there the next best thing is the 3.5 Ecoboost, that's what we really need to start seeing in 3/4 ton trucks for the gas option.

The Ecoboost has great hp and torque numbers, but there is some work to do before that engine will work well in a 2500/3500 series truck application. In a commercial application (Ford Transit) the engine is derated and only has a 13K GCWR. It's not even offered in the highest GVWR Transit, probably due to not being able to handle the higher duty cycle. It seems to be a great towing engine in the 150/1500 class but it doesn't appear to be able to handle the same heavy towing stresses that the GM 6.0, Ford 6.2 and FCA 6.4 gas V8s can.

I'm guessing that it's not an issue with the Ecoboost and how robust it is, it's more that they don't want to cannibilize Diesel model sales and profits.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
kw/00 wrote:
Alexleblanc,
No worries about the test numbers, I know what u mean about the 5.3 btw. I had one and being a 2000 model it was good, and I had the 6.0 with the 4 speed trans... The newer 6.0 with the 6 speed is a different animal. The power is always right there if needed. I realized that u have the same fifthwheel as we have, the 6.0 pulls it really easy. KZ makes a great camper....

That's funny, I've not found many people with our same layout or unit!
I think KZ makes a great unit, my folks are on their second unit from them and have had great luck, I'm hoping for the same.

Any sage advice about the unit you care to share?
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
alexleblanc wrote:
the low end torque just isn't there and makes for much more of a strained towing experience.

Clearly you haven't towed with the 6-speed transmission and the 4.10. There's no need for low end torque, as the gearing is so deep in 1st that the truck is wound out by the time it hits about 5MPH.

I haven't towed with the 6.0 and 4.10's but I have a ton of seat time towing with a Tundra 5.7 with 4.30's that's very similar in terms of HP/torque and where they make their torque in the RPM range and I stand by my comment. Everything I read about HD gassers and heavy loads is they need to be wound up quite a bit to get the job done and that feels strained where a diesel or the 3.5 EB don't feel like that. Didn't say it couldn't get the job done.

Enjoy your 6.0 if your happy with the performance, no offence meant.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
alexleblanc wrote:

Where my FIL has his biggest problem with his 2015 6.0 with 4.10's is backing the rig into some of the spots around here. That's where the low torque comes in for him.

If it's 4 wheel drive, put it in low range for those situations.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
alexleblanc wrote:

2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

W5CI
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2013 GMC 2500HD with the 6.0 and 3.73 gears. it pulled my 12000# Cedar Creek ok on flat ground but struggled in the hills. it was a Gas Hog, 12mpg empty 7 mpg towing. I traded for a RAM 3500 DRW diesel and would never go back. 20 mpg empty and 12 towing
2015 RAM 3500 DRW
2004 Cedar Creek 30RLBS

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
alexleblanc wrote:

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Alexleblanc,
No worries about the test numbers, I know what u mean about the 5.3 btw. I had one and being a 2000 model it was good, and I had the 6.0 with the 4 speed trans... The newer 6.0 with the 6 speed is a different animal. The power is always right there if needed. I realized that u have the same fifthwheel as we have, the 6.0 pulls it really easy. KZ makes a great camper....
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
alexleblanc wrote:
I will say as a side note though that next to the big diesels out there the next best thing is the 3.5 Ecoboost, that's what we really need to start seeing in 3/4 ton trucks for the gas option.

The Ecoboost has great hp and torque numbers, but there is some work to do before that engine will work well in a 2500/3500 series truck application. In a commercial application (Ford Transit) the engine is derated and only has a 13K GCWR. It's not even offered in the highest GVWR Transit, probably due to not being able to handle the higher duty cycle. It seems to be a great towing engine in the 150/1500 class but it doesn't appear to be able to handle the same heavy towing stresses that the GM 6.0, Ford 6.2 and FCA 6.4 gas V8s can.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I will say in full disclosure that I was not a 6.0 fan until I bought a 2012 2500HD with the 6.0 I needed a truck that could pull intermediate weight while not costing another 10K for a Dmax (it was a business daily driver for myself). As it turned out, I got a lot more truck in the 6.0 than I would have ever guessed. Pulled very well, mpg not great but acceptable for me, no gelling issues during the Winter and lastly the resale value in these trucks was better than I would have thought it would be (lower gas prices no doubt had an influence). I suspect like others have said, the new transmissions have made the 6.0 a much better performing engine than it was with the 4 speed trannies of years past.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1