cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

6.4cor 6.7?

Flashman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fell in love with the Host Mammoth Truck Camper. So am in market for a 3500 DRW - my 2500 Mega short bed has been great but it will not hold the BIG camper.

I was all ready to get the Cummins but then realized I might be happier with the 6.4 gasser - more payload.

Any thoughts?
54 REPLIES 54

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"The F450 pickup is rated at Class 3 levels so insurance and licensing does not bite you. "

I have real many reports of higher insurance and licensing with the PU F450.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
So if the F450 grosses at 14K like a class 3 truck, yet weighs quite a bit more, then does it not have a lower carrying capacity?
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Bedlam
Nope, you completely missed the point. The F450 pickup is rated at Class 3 levels so insurance and licensing does not bite you. Once you get to the chassis cab Ford F450 and F550 or Ram 4500 and 5500 is when you start paying more due to the Class 4 and 5 classification and lack of a pickup bed.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bedlam wrote:
I think that's the whole point of going with a F450 pickup. Ford derates a Class 4 to fit it in Class 3 with less restrictions. It's a higher capacity vehicle regardless of the papers it carries.

Along with that comes higher insurance and licensing.

Not sure but I carry/tow more weight than MOST anyone on here with ZERO issues with a measly 3500 Dually. At a much lower cost than a comparable F450.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Bedlam
I think that's the whole point of going with a F450 pickup. Ford derates a Class 4 to fit it in Class 3 with less restrictions. It's a higher capacity vehicle regardless of the papers it carries.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Threebigfords wrote:
burningman wrote:
Ford makes "A" perfect rig for the big Host, but not "THE" perfect rig.
If Ford had the Cummins... they would own the truck market and there might not even be any such thing as a new Ram. But they don't.
The Powerstroke is (lately) a great motor too, but it's not the only one.
You can buy an equally-impressive new Chevy Duramax too.
These days no one truck maker has hands-down superiority.

If we're only talking engines, I'd agree with you. All three manufacturers are extremely competitive in the impressive numbers put down.

But lets talk about the rest of the truck. An engine alone won't get you down the road hauling a Host Mammoth.

What do Chevy and Ram offer that compares to the F450 CCLB?

10 lug axles?....nope
G rated 19.5" tires?...nope
Wide track front axle with tighter turning radius?....nope
Front suspension components from a class 4 truck.... nope
Bigger brakes?....nope
16k lb rear axle?....nope
Better tow mirrors? ....nope

Lol! You guys crack me up... you'd tow with a Yugo as long as it had a Cummins in it.

I guess my point to the original poster, is that there's more to the job of hauling a big camper than simply which engine is in the truck.

I agree 100% that if he's dead set on going Ram, the 6.7 is the way to go. Ignore the additional payload the gasser offers as it's meaningless to your rear axle weight when hauling big campers.

Well if you compare apples to apples the f450 isn't in the class with the 3500 Ram, even though ford tries to put it there...try comparing to the 4500 Ram and you'll get the heavier stuff you list.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
That's it? That's the only pro you could come up with for the Ram hauling capabilities over the F450? ๐Ÿ˜„

Shall we bring up Ram tie rod ends?? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Which would you rather have fail with a 6000lb camper and your family in your truck?
15' Ford F450 4x4 Platinum Bronze Fire Metallic
17' Ford Explorer Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost Ruby Red Metallic
78' F250 SC LB 4x4 - highly modified

2003 Weekend Warrior FS2600 toyhauler and the toys to fill it
1997 10' Northland Grizzly 990 Ext Cab

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Threebigfords wrote:
burningman wrote:
If Ford had the Cummins... they would own the truck market and there might not even be any such thing as a new Ram. But they don't.

If we're only talking engines, I'd agree with you. All three manufacturers are extremely competitive in the impressive numbers put down.

But lets talk about the rest of the truck. An engine alone won't get you down the road hauling a Host Mammoth.

10 lug axles?....nope
Bigger brakes?....nope

Lol! You guys crack me up... you'd tow with a Yugo as long as it had a Cummins in it.

I guess my point to the original poster, is that there's more to the job of hauling a big camper than simply which engine is in the truck.

I agree 100% that if he's dead set on going Ram, the 6.7 is the way to go. Ignore the additional payload the gasser offers as it's meaningless to your rear axle weight when hauling big campers.

No crappy CP4 HPFP? Yep! :B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Threebigfords wrote:
Look I get it, the original poster is dead set against a Ford Diesel due to a problem with an engine built a decade ago

Do you?
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:

10 lug axles?....nope
Bigger brakes?....nope

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:
Threebigfords wrote:
Great! You got the right type of engine, now you just need the right brand of truck.

Ford makes the perfect rig for the Host Mammoth. The 2015/16 F450 has a long list of advantages over the Ram 3500. Stronger Axle, better gearing, tighter turning radius, G rated tires, more power, quieter ride, lower bed height for easier camper loading, better tow mirrors, stronger factory hitch, bigger brakes, front suspension components from a medium duty truck....you get the idea.

You get the benefits of a medium duty truck without the penalty of a derated engine.

It's all about buying the best tool for the job.

Why Ford...Ram makes capable 4500 and 5500 series trucks with the Cummins/Aisin combo!!

Why Ford? Didn't I already answer that in the post you quoted?? You get all the benefits I listed without the penalty of a class 4 truck...the Cummins/Aisin combo in a 4500/5500 is derated to 325/750 (that's 115hp and 150tq less than the F450!)...and then you have to put a flatbed on it.

Look I get it, the original poster is dead set against a Ford Diesel due to a problem with an engine built a decade ago, but that doesn't diminish the fact that the 2015 and up F450 CCLB is setup the best of any class 3 truck to carry the biggest campers.

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
burningman wrote:
This nonsense about gassers having more payload is brochure-readers fantasy.
The engine weighs a little less, but as mentioned, that's all up on the front where none of your payload is going anyway.
In the real world - not brochure fantasy land - the diesel will out-haul the gasser every time. That's the fact, Jack.

As one who was on the "gasser" side of things on this thread, and a person who has owned and towed with both, I have to say I agree with you. From a performance standpoint, when towing or hauling, the diesel will do a better job 99% of the time. That's where they shine. That doesn't mean the gas engine won't do the job though. If that 8 or 10k price difference matters to the buyer, and they are looking to haul a load infrequently, the gasser is a great option IMO.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
burningman wrote:
The engine weighs a little less, but as mentioned, that's all up on the front where none of your payload is going anyway.
In the real world - not brochure fantasy land - the diesel will out-haul the gasser every time. That's the fact, Jack.

So is the notion that you need a dually with a wdh and sway control to pull anything bigger than a popup, but that's how we roll here!

Of course I make my back tires scream "We wish we were duals!" So loud I have to roll up the windows sometimes! Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:

You get out of here with that common sense.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB