cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

6.7 Cummins vs 6.6 Duramax

SoonerWing03
Explorer
Explorer
As someone who knows next to nothing about Diesel engines, I am trying to figure out the strengths and weaknesses of these to. Any opinions would be appreciated.
87 REPLIES 87

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
I like them all so long as they smoke....

I'll drink to that! Roll coal brotha!

I sincerely hope that you too are joking. I was raised that when something I do offends others I needed to reconsider my ways, especially if that is the only reason for doing it.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
Better torque characteristics

What does that mean?
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Here comes the fanboy stuff now.....
Soonerwing, either one will be comfortable, durable and have gobs of power. Period.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

They sell the 6.7 to RAM but they also sell the same engine to others for Medium Duty applications. "True medium duty"

But the latest cummins uses the Bosch CP4.2 HPFP and now uses hydraulic lifters. Crickets...

Same goes for the Medium Duty AISIN transmission as it's used in many other MD applications.

Nissan Titan XD medium duty? Crickets...

Oh and Medium Duty Rams end up on Ford lots in various ways :B.... Crickets...

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
both are very high quality reliable motors. IMHO don't let the engine decide your brand. Drive both and pick the one YOU like the best, not the one someone else likes. YOUR the one going to be using it.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is another thing to consider. What does CUMMINS do??? They build engines!

They sell the 6.7 to RAM but they also sell the same engine to others for Medium Duty applications. "True medium duty"

GM's D Max is used by what other Medium Duty Manufacturers? "Crickets"

Same goes for the Medium Duty AISIN transmission as it's used in many other MD applications.

"ALLISON" (GM Built), who else uses that trans for MD applications? "Crickets"

Well let's add another thing to chew on. Simply look around out on the Highways. What brand DOMINATES the "Independently Owned" RV and HotShot hauling market. RAM, there is simply no comparison.

Oh, they use them a lot to haul Fords. ๐Ÿ˜‰

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
RCMAN46 wrote:
Longer stroke engines have higher piston speeds.

They do. And with only 6 cylinders that Cummins has to have much bigger, heavier pistons and rods flying around..... it's a wonder a 6 banger can even compete with a V8. ๐Ÿ™‚

They also operate at lower engine rpms, which lowers the piston speed. Pretty much an irrelevant negative on the I-6!

Anyone questioning the reliability and power of the Cumins vs the V8โ€™s should spend a few minutes watching (YouTube). the annual Diesel Power Challenge, held every year near Denver, Co. if you like โ€œcoal burnersโ€ you โ€œWILLโ€ be entertained and amazed!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
RCMAN46 wrote:

They do. And with only 6 cylinders that Cummins has to have much bigger, heavier pistons and rods flying around..... it's a wonder a 6 banger can even compete with a V8. ๐Ÿ™‚

I love a V8 as well, but disagree with your last portion of your comment. Look at all the semis going down the road. Wether it's Detroit, Mack, Volvo, PACCAR or Cummins, they are all I6's. Shoot, look at what's out in the cropfields as well. Again, John Deere, Case, New Holland, they too are I6's
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
RCMAN46 wrote:

2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of information and actual data here.

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2018/07/whats-the-best-one-ton-heavy-duty-truck-for-2018.html
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I grew up with Chevy's of every kind, that's all we would buy.... until I found a Cummins 5.9 diesel.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Simple, pop the hood on each. Class dismissed.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
The Duramax is an Isuzu designed motor with the Allison transmission; I believe 2019 is gonna be the last year one can get a TRUE Allison 6 speed; theyโ€™re going to a Allison โ€œbrandedโ€ 10 speed for 2020....Hard to go wrong with the Duramax Allison combination.... Cummins motor is on par with the Duramax, but, not sure about the attached transmission.... I donโ€™t think you will be disappointed with either....

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
azdryheat wrote:
My Duramax is quicker off the line than my friends Cummins.

My wife's Honda Civic is quicker off the line than my Powerstroke but I don't think I have ever pushed the skinny pedal all the way down without a trailer on behind and a big hill up ahead.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5