cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

8 days, where to go?

James_
Explorer
Explorer
well my sweet heart and I have eight days to kill for our 20th anniversary. We'll be starting from our home in Ventura Ca. We really don't want to do the coast. What do you guys think?
2006 Chevrolet 3500 HD 4X4 dually, crew cab.
6.6 diesel, Allison trans. Air bags.
2011 Lance 992 duel pop-out, 2200 gen, 135 watt solar panal, Yakima skybox.
25 REPLIES 25

James_
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Great photos! That young lady sure looks happy -- looks like you picked the right place to camp! Were you boondocking in the Lower Rock Creek area? Was it cool enough? We just got back from a couple of days in the Upper Rock Creek area at East Fork Campground -- the nights were cold, but the days were pretty warm.

No BD-ing, I wish I knew where to do some of that there. days were 75-80 and nights got down to the mid 60s. It was perfect.

To everyone else, thanks for your kind words.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great photos! That young lady sure looks happy -- looks like you picked the right place to camp! Were you boondocking in the Lower Rock Creek area? Was it cool enough? We just got back from a couple of days in the Upper Rock Creek area at East Fork Campground -- the nights were cold, but the days were pretty warm.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Its hot so do the mountains.
Come on over to CO and NM and take her on On the Cumbres/Toltec all day train ride from Chama, NM over 10k pass through the mountains over to Antonito, CO.

Or the Silverton to Durango day trip along the Animas river canyons.

Lots to see and do in southern CO in the beautiful San Juans and northern NM.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

campingken
Explorer
Explorer
Twin Lakes Bridgeport is a great place. For almost 20 years I took my sons out of school during the last week of Oct to spend a week there camping, fishing, and target shooting. Buckeye forest service campground is remote and a nice place to stay.

If you go to Twin Lakes have breakfast at the Hays St Cafรฉ and pizza at Rhino's in Bridgeport. Also ask a local how to get to the hot springs. They are located above the city corporation yard.
Ken & Kris + Heidi the dog
Sequim, Wa.
2003 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 diesel
2017 Trails West Sierra Select 2 Horse slant load trailer

spacedoutbob
Explorer
Explorer
Nice photos, My favorite place to camp is the Eastern Sierras. Thanks again for posting.

Bob in Calif.
Good Sam Club Life Member

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Nice! We'll be heading that direction (June Lake) next week.

James_
Explorer
Explorer
Well, Eastern Sierras was a GREAT choice. We went up into the Lower Rock Creek canyon right behind Tom's Place. Did some hiking and just kick-in back. Loved it.

Here are some pics:

James_
Explorer
Explorer
I was asked this once before... we'll take off on July 8th through the 16th.

TCcruzn
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely eastern sierra- June Lake Loop, Bridgeport and Twin Lakes all have nice USFS campgrounds. Bring a fishing pole
2005 F250 4x4 CC SB V10,Rancho 9000,Tough Country winch bumper, 13500# Superwinch,Firestone airbags,Yaesu 2900
2008 Lance 830,200w AMsolar,BZ highvoltage controller
Yamaha EF2000
2012 Lund 1650 Rebel XL
1967 Honda Trail 90 (on the front bumper)

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
My vote is also Eastern Sierra, but did you ever say when you plan to go?

Summer - more people, but you will probably be able to find a campsite somewhere. Just start from the south end, explore every side road, camp at places which are appealing (dozens of campgrounds - BLM, USFS, county, national park, private), move on toward the north when the urge to wander strikes, head home when you run out of time.

Fall - fewer people, but some campgrounds close as early as mid-September, deer season can be a problem if you hike, and the weather can be colder but not necessarily.

This area makes for a great trip! We'll all be waiting for your trip report.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

dodgerdog
Explorer
Explorer
Since I live in Whittier I am in your same geographic area... Well the Deserts are too hot... The mountains are nice like Bishop, Independence area... Heck I'd head for Napa and do the wineries.... There are a ton of them.... You can hit Solvang on the way there or back.... Just a thought....

Mike C.

James_
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, Sierras it is!

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto eastern Sierra Mountain area. We spent 3 weeks there back in 2009 September. If it gets too hot then head for the hills. The suggestion of White Mountain and old trees is a good one. The Bristlecone Pines are amazing. It is so quiet there @ 13,000 feet. Or is it 11k. Lots of lakes around Bishop. Check out Galen Rowell's gallery there. He is deceased but his images have a timelessness. All done with film. He outfitted a Bronco to get him to the waaay back roads. He spent lots of time traveling the world but settled in Bishop as he said it had it all. Also, Mono Lake is cool but may be too hot. The ghost town of Bode has is fascinating and a Cal state park. It is a high altitude, also. Maybe even take the Tioga highway into the eastern part of Yosemite.Have fun and happy anniversary.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Eastern Sierra would be my choice. The camping is almost all at high altitude -- cooler than anywhere else in easy driving distance. Do you prefer campgrounds or boondocking?

And with 8 days, starting in Ventura, you have just one day of driving each way, with six full days to relax. If you have two weeks or more, that's a different story -- you could go to northern Washington, also very cool this time of year.

If you like to boondock, and you feel adventurous, the North Rim of the Grand Canyon is fairly high and cool -- the Rainbow Rim area is wonderful and empty.

What activities do you like -- hiking? Fishing? Mountain biking? That will affect the decision, too.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."