cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

89,000 miles on a Ford C6 trans

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
I have a class A that has a C6 auto trans. Mileage is 89,000. Fluid looks ok. Shifts fine, no problems that I could tell.

I know this is a " Crystal Ball " type question, but would you trust this trans to make a trip from northern Michigan to southern Arizona ( round trip )?

Our trip plans are doing Route 66 as much as we can. Speeds will be kept at 55-60mph ( we're in no hurry ).

It would cost about $2000-$2200 for a rebuilt, but our budget just couldnt afford that AND the trip.

It has a medium size trans cooler now. I was thinking of upgrading to a larger cooler.

I haven't weighed the motor home yet, but assuming it is in the 13,000-16,000lb range by what I got from the original manuals.

Motor has no worries, it only has 6,000 miles since rebuild.

Moderators: I posted here so I could get info from some P.U. truck guys ( instead of posting it in the class A section ).
Current: 1987 Georgie Boy Encounter 34',John Deere chassis,460c.i./C6.
SOLD-2012 Cougar XLite 27RLS
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
SOLD-2004 Shadow Cruiser Fun Finder 189FBR
Just the Wife and I.
24 REPLIES 24

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would invest in a temp gauge and make sure the bands get adjusted when it's serviced. That step is critical to it's life.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I think ford said oil and filter at 100,000 miles. I would not touch it if it is working fine.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
If it seems to shift fine I would run it. It doesn't matter if it's the trans or the engine or whatever, have the funds or the credit available to get you home.

big_jim_2
Explorer
Explorer
I would trust the old one as much or more than a rebuild!

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
C6 is a good trans , a bigger cooler won't hurt, but a trans temp gauge is essential if it doesn't have one. I put an electric fan on my F150 trans cooler with a switch in the cab so that if the temps got too high I could turn on the fan, but I don't know if that would work in a MH
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
This was Ford's HD transmission, and was very dependable. If you don't know when the transmission was last serviced, then I would just have it done. You said you would be "taking it easy", so I don't think it will give you any trouble.

If you are climbing steep grades, at low speeds, any transmission can heat up, so best to avoid these type roads when you can.

Jerry

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are taking a trip and cant afford something if it breaks along the way you may want to reconsider the trip?!

BTW, the trans should be just fine!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I don't fix things that are not broke.

i only service according to mfg recommendations.

So you know what I would do.

soren
Explorer
Explorer
Got to agree with the first response. Service the trans, including flush, filters and fluids, then see how long it will continue to provide trouble free service. I do mine every two years, which works out to 30K miles lately. It's ten years old, and trouble free. I wouldn't spend a moment of time thinking about upgrading coolers or rebuilding anything until it's been properly serviced and run until issues are evident, and I'm betting you will be fine.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
The C6 was one of Fords great transmissions, fluid and filter change. I use to do my own and on the C6 I would drop the pan, clean the pan new filter and gasket. Then add the normal 5 qts. or so to fill the
Pan!
Then I would disconnect the cooler return line at the pan, have about 16 qts. handy then have DW start the engine, then start adding fresh fluid down the dipstick tube while watching the color of the fluid coming out of the return line. During this time DW was slowly shifting through all the gears, did I mention parking brake ON and wheels BLOCKED? Once the fluid coming out the return line looks clean and fresh, shutdown engine, reconnect the return line and check level and top off as needed, almost a 100% fluid change.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"