cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Addding nitrogen to tires

ssemalone
Explorer
Explorer
Soooo.. I have nitrogen filled tires on my microlite, How do I add more? Where can I get pure nitrogen for the tires????
30 REPLIES 30

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I can't remember where I read it but someone did a long term test on the whole Nitrogen vs. Air thing and determined the straight air lasted 97% as long as the Nitrogen. So where you could run your Nitrogen tires for 100 days you'd have refill the air filled tires in a short 97 days ๐Ÿ™‚

This topic brings a whole other dynamic the old clichรฉ joke about having the mechanic telling the unsuspecting consumer that it's time of change the air in the tires.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Kinda related - we are in the process of buying a new car (Ford Fusion). In the initial paperwork was a $198 charge for nitrogen filled tires and "VIN" etching - I just looked at the saleslady and said "Really??". She had a little smile and took the charge off. I told my wife I'll bet a lunch out that the car already is VIN etched when we get it.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I have always been told what mpfireman posted... the nitrogen will leak out slower.

In talking to mechanics, nitrogen kinda sorta pays for itself in fleet use - like school bus fleets, or long haul trucking. They say it is hard to tell sometimes.

For "normal" driving (including weekend camping trips) nitrogen is not worth the extra cost. If a dealership wants to fill your tires with it for free, let'em do it!

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to butt into this thread because there is a hazard that might concern the type of folks that are reading this type thread. As far as the nitrogen goes, in my opinion, its not a big thing. HOWEVER, a really BIG thing are sealers, flat-fixers, or OTC tire inflators that contain an inflammable product as propellant! Most of these have been taken off the market, but there are still some to be found on counter, especially in discount stores and such. If and when a unsuspecting tire changer opens a tire containing one of these products, it can be disaster! So just be aware, and if you should need to use one of these products, please check it before putting it in your tires!
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
mpfireman wrote:
There selling point is, Oxygen molecules are smaller, thus they have a greater chance to leak from your tire, that is why you add air to the tires occasionally. Nitrogen molecules are larger than oxygen molecules, thus they do not leak out of tires as rapidly. Aircraft tires are always filled with Nitrogen as they are subject to extreme temperatures swings, thus no water vapor can build up in the tires due to nitrogen being drier than oxygen.
Hydrogen and helium yes and if you check wiki N2 and O2 are actually quite similar.

Compression removes the moisture and Nitrogen is far more compressed when delivered from a processor vs air from an on-site compressor. But then I have never seen a wheel oxidized on the inside.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
mpfireman wrote:
There selling point is, Oxygen molecules are smaller, thus they have a greater chance to leak from your tire, that is why you add air to the tires occasionally. Nitrogen molecules are larger than oxygen molecules, thus they do not leak out of tires as rapidly. Aircraft tires are always filled with Nitrogen as they are subject to extreme temperatures swings, thus no water vapor can build up in the tires due to nitrogen being drier than oxygen.

In regards to our tires, research has shown that air doesn't leak through the rubber as much as it does around the bead. That point of leakage is plenty big enough for nitrogen to get out as well.

More_To_See
Explorer
Explorer
I think the most important thing is to only put dry air into your tires. The nitrogen that is available is typically called dry nitrogen. I have a filter right at my air chuck to remove moisture from the compresses air that I'm shoving into the tire. I put that filter as far away from the compressor as possible so that the air will be cooler and thus more moisture can be removed by the filter.
95 Winnebago Vectra 34 (P30/454)

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
same way that iron combines with oxygen in the air to form iron oxide or rust.

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

mpfireman
Explorer
Explorer
1998.5 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Cummins
1998 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nitrogen post
Nitrogen II
Nitrogen 3 (2010)
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

donandmax
Explorer
Explorer
Nitrogen in tires.....what nonsense
If it aint broke fix it till it is

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Johno02 wrote:
Most tire stores and dealers now will install nitrogen in your tires for a price. My local tealer will refill mine free if they installed it originally. Otherwise, it costs extra. Purpose of nitrogen si to prevent oxidation of the inside of the tire from the oxygen inside. After an amount of time, the oxygen inside is mostly gone, leaving only nitrogen, and a few small bits of other stuff. The outside of the tires are exposed to high levels of oxygen all the time, and also sunlight which is even worse. So if it makes you feel better, use nitrogen to inflate with, otherwise just use DRY air.

How does a tire use up the oxygen and leave just nitrogen?
From what I understand it take a distillation process to separate them.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Most tire stores and dealers now will install nitrogen in your tires for a price. My local tealer will refill mine free if they installed it originally. Otherwise, it costs extra. Purpose of nitrogen si to prevent oxidation of the inside of the tire from the oxygen inside. After an amount of time, the oxygen inside is mostly gone, leaving only nitrogen, and a few small bits of other stuff. The outside of the tires are exposed to high levels of oxygen all the time, and also sunlight which is even worse. So if it makes you feel better, use nitrogen to inflate with, otherwise just use DRY air.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I think the nitrogen thing is silly...but what I think doesn't matter.
If you want to fill with nitrogen...Costco pumps it at their tire store.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Plane air is about 80% nitrogen, soooooo...
Nitrogen in RV tires is a waste. There is no, zero, nada real benefit.