cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adding gauges -Boost, EGT and Transmission temp

mhawk4
Explorer
Explorer
With our new to us 97 F350 7.3 diesel; i want to make sure is well taken care and also, needs to last a good while.
Whats the word out there in adding boost,EGT and Transmission temp gauges.
Are these necessary to have? or a transmission gauge will be all i need?
I already added a second Transmission fluid cooler and filter.

I am not planning on adding any tuners or chip the engine at least in the near future.
1997 Ford F350 7.3L DRW
2016 Keystone Hideout 31RBDS
Blue Ox sway pro, Stromberg Carlson A-frame cargo tray CC-255

Luis,Shelia,Noah,Gabriel
All about the family!!;)
22 REPLIES 22

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Edge CTS gauge which I have set up to monitor, EGT, engine coolant temp and trans fluid temp among other things. The engine is stock except for intake and exhaust. I find it useful and have altered my engine speed and vehicle speed while towing. I have bumped the EGT danger zone a number of times in the mountains while the engine still had more to give. I use the monitor all the time and feel it was money well spent.

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
sure glowshift has nice packages that work well, cant remember but they also sell the pillar mounts. Also scan gauge 2 will monitor the stuff you also want, just have to check with them for one for your truck. Best thing all this is less than $300. As to a chip or whatever is available that again is something to readup on. Go to fordtrucks.com or powerstroke.org. I run a hypertech economiser tuner in my truck. but again you would need to contact them..3 is they are supposedly hard on exhaust donuts at up pipe. new parts are available to upgrade to. Check out the diesel power or diesel world magazines (on line) one has been doing work story on a 7.3 again good research. I think the truck was a 99 or 2000 dont remember right now. guy has the truck in tennessee and is a contractor so needed more power etc for his loads.

Tiger02
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, gauges are critical if towing. I would also add the TorquePro app using a bluetooth OBDII dongle to monitor other important function as well as to read trouble codes.

A tuner or preferably, a chip will help, but with stock injectors you're only going to get another 60 hp and 120 ft lbs of torque out of it. The transmission is the weak link, so take care of that with a good size cooler.
2006 Keystone Outback Sydney 30 FRKS

1997 Ford F350 Auto, 4.10LS Axle, 160,000 Miles, Crew Cab with DRW.

US Army 1984-2016.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
First accessory added when I bought my new 2007 Dodge....EGT/Trans/Boost gauges on 'A' pillar
Then came the Exhaust Brake

Towing FT the gauges provide me real time info
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
In my 99 f 250 7.3 I have EGT, Boost and Transmission gauges. I monitor the EGT and Transmission gauges quite frequently. If I were going to give one up it would be Boost.

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
I have never had a diesel without gauges. But I never have a diesel without a decent tune. Even if you never go over 54 mph a good tune for an old 7.3 is a must. They run so much better. I've put a dozen ts 6 position chips in 7.3s. better mileage, huge huge power increases without really doing any damage. A few hundred bucks and a day of easy wrenching is easy insurance. Teaches you alot about your vehicle and it's condition.
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
You can look into the Edge Insight CTS2 or a used CTS. It is just a monitor and does not tune anything. I would call Edge or do some research to see if it will display the gauges you are wanting.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
For what they cost I would add them. They all will give not only protection but also diagnostic help if issues arise.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler