cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

adding springs to my trailer

azredneck
Explorer
Explorer
Hello fellow RVer's. I'm new to this forum. I do alot of camping on forest roads in northern AZ. My question is can I put springs on my 26 ft new travel trailer, the roads here are sometimes pretty rough and I don't want to bounce everything around in the trailer. Thanks for your input
14 REPLIES 14

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Calicajun wrote:

Old-Biscuit, thanks for that link. I don't need that for my TT but it looks like it will work for my Ram 1500 EcoDiesel truck. The bed payload on that truck is only 985 pounds and the truck can measure the weigh being carried, so adding air shocks will increase the payload capacity and fool the weigh sensors into thinking there is less cargo in the truck.

:H

Link is for adding shocks to rv trailers......nothing to do with 'air shocks' for truck

Yes, but they have other products that should work for my truck. At least it a starting point for finding a modifition that will work.
2014 Heartland Wildness 2775RB, 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Mega Cab

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had the dealership install shocks on my new trailer, along with heavy duty leaf springs -- we take the trailer on forest roads all the time (at very low speeds to avoid damage). We have had no trouble at all, even on very rocky and uneven dirt roads. My guess is that if you go over 15 or 20 mph, your trailer will get all shook up, no matter what, except on a recently graded dirt road.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the shocks and evaluate the bushings frequently -- my first set deteriorated in less than two years. I replaced them with higher quality neoprene -- we will see if these new bushings are more durable.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Calicajun wrote:

Old-Biscuit, thanks for that link. I don't need that for my TT but it looks like it will work for my Ram 1500 EcoDiesel truck. The bed payload on that truck is only 985 pounds and the truck can measure the weigh being carried, so adding air shocks will increase the payload capacity and fool the weigh sensors into thinking there is less cargo in the truck.

:H

Link is for adding shocks to rv trailers......nothing to do with 'air shocks' for truck
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
Adding air shocks will not increase payload capacity, it will simply carry some of the weight on shock mounts that were meant to be weight dampers not weight carriers. It will raise the hight that the weight is carried but in the end all of the weight is still supported by the axle and wheels, it just takes a different path to get there. And I am not sure that it is wise to "fool the weigh sensors". Seems like you bought too little truck if you have to trick it to work.

To the original poster, Shocks should make a nice improvement to how your trailer tows.

azredneck
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all your input. Old-biscuit, I just ordered one set of those shock mounts kit.

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
Check and see if you already have shock mounts on your TT as a lot of TT come with the mounts just not the shocks. I added shocks to two pass TT and found it made a wonderful change in pulling the trailer.

2014 Heartland Wildness 2775RB, 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Mega Cab

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Shock Kit
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
azredneck wrote:
I have leaf springs. Would air bags be easier to install and would they work better

Air bags don't dampen - would just make the suspension stiffer. The best recommendation is still to add shocks.
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

azredneck
Explorer
Explorer
I have leaf springs. Would air bags be easier to install and would they work better

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I added shocks to our Terry and many others have done the same. Retrofitting shocks can be easy or hard depending how the factory spring configuration is set up, and whether you have leaf springs or torsion axles.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of trailers (ours) came with shocks as standard equip.
Seems like shocks could be retro-fitted.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

azredneck
Explorer
Explorer
You are correct, thanks

Dr_Quick
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you talking about adding springs or shock absorbers. Heavier springs will just make for a stiffer ride for the trailer. I believe that you should be able to find information on the internet on kits to add shocks to a trailer. The shocks will dampen the ride and stop a lot of the bounce, which is what I think that you want.
Dr Quick

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting first post.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman