cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AF 990 Powers down intermittently?

TCcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I have a weird one boys and girls! I have had this problem and it is happening more often now. I will be doing my camping thing when all of a sudden the 12volt system just shuts off and all power is gone! It started a couple years ago, but it has been happening more frequently in recent weeks. Now it seems to happen a couple times a week. I was under the sink when it happened the other day, and after about 5 minutes with NO power, I heard a loud CLICK and then the power comes on. I think it might be the 5100 series automatic transfer relay by Progressive Dynamics box that is under the sink. I also found a little black device that had power wires hooked to it, but the connectors were loose, so that be the issue also. I don't know what this device is. So, I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what they may know about it?
3 REPLIES 3

TCcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I have come to the conclusion that it WAS the loose connections causing the issue. I have been trying to replicate the failure since I fixed the loose wires, and no problems found. I also noticed that when I turned on my generator, the battery voltage ramped up immediately as it is supposed to. I will be continue my testing in the upcoming summer season, and hope I am correct in my assumption.
Thanks for the replies folks! I appreciate your expert opinions!

Gripnriprod
Explorer
Explorer
Sure sounds like loose connections. The heat generated will cause the connection to grow worse over time thus heat up and trip the protective device more and more frequently. Apparently it uses a thermal switch that automatically resets once it is cooled down. Don't just tighten the connections as the connectors are likely corroded and may not make good contact. Loosen and inspect them. If there is any sign of corrosion, replace the connectors. If the connection points on the device are corroded, you should consider replacing the device.
'11 GMC 3500hd SLT DRW D/A 4x4 Spray-in, Air Bags w/comp & controls, TL, Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 9.5t Warn, front rcvr, Fox Shocks, '11 AF 1140, DB, AC, Gen, Solar, Thermal Windows, Wardrobe, Rear & Side Awnings, 18' Lund/40hp Honda 4 stroke

Bedlam
The transfer relay is for AC power between on board genset and external hookups. I think your master disconnect switch is failing or the wires to it are loose.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD