cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airbags- built in air compressor or manual fill?

cartmancartman
Explorer
Explorer
Which is the best to go for a truck camper, built in air compressor or manual? It is roughly a $800 price difference between the two (including labor), I dont mind spending the money if it is put to good use. How often do you adjust the air bag settings?

I like to keep it simple as one of the parts or if the compressor goes out.
25 REPLIES 25

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did not like the idea of installing compressor with electric stuff under the truck bed and having equipment trailer, wanted the compressor to be portable for tire inflation.
So I install the Firestone dual bag controller on the floor next to driver seat and put tire shrader valve on supply end.
Compressor was sitting on the floor behind the seat and I could connect it to the valve while plug-in to cigarette lighter 12V.
I never need to inflate bags on the fly, so never used the option, but adding some psi in the morning was very easy.
The only issue I had to watch was restarting the compressor under high pressure, what would burn the lighter socket fuse.
Had to disconnect the chuck, start the compressor and then hook it up for pumping.
BTW we do have electric compressor in our Mercedes with air suspension.
Those compressors are expensive new, but you can buy used pretty cheap and rebuild kits sell for $17.
The compressor has build-in drier and hose with a filter. They operate at 160 psi easy and last for years.
Would I need another pump for truck, that is what I would look for.
The same Bosch compressors are used by Audi, VW, Land Rover and more, so lot of suppliers.
Bosch compressor

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a long time anti air bagger I too now have them!! I have way too much junk and combinations to haul them. The overload springs were just not cutting it anymore. With the TC the ride was OK but the TT was just enough to engage the overloads and the ride was very harsh. And I can put more air on the heavy side of the TC.

On a recent trip back from MT I had a Razor in the back and towing my TT. All was good until I hit a section of concrete road. Bang, bang, bang on the expansion cuts!! Had to pull over and let air out a couple times till I got it right then air back up once on the asphalt. I decided then the wireless compressor was in my future.

Now being able to adjust for different load and road conditions on the fly is worth it to me.
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

Terrick_down_Un
Explorer
Explorer
We also use the bags to make it easier to hook up the bumper pull. It always gets a look by people around.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
I ran ours for the first 3 years manual fill. Installed Air Lift quick shot compressor kit in '04. Dual control, in dash gage/ paddle switches, 2 gal. tank. Gage almost worth the cost.
Im remembering more like 350/400 but that was then...

Easy enough on the manual fill- but 'seeing' the psi, filling/dumping adjusting from the cab simply nice. Certainly a lot more convenient. Justification of cost? that's an individual call. Ive never regretted, was pricey but if setting up new truck I wouldn't hesitate to do again. Always playing with the air, either when loading or unloading, leveling at camp or adjusting.

12 years old and have only had to replace one of the paddle switches.
The manual fill valves are still in place.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
On board. I use wireless air and love it.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have air bags installed along with Torklift Stable Loads.

The airbags, which I installed first, were not doing the job I wanted ... my F350 would decide to hunt this way and that. I had white knuckles most of the time. When I put on the Torklft Stable Loads all that changed.

But, my truck is used to transport materials to construction sites. I find that I can adjust the airbags for heavier loads, or release the Torklift for easier ride. Or a combination.

I like being able to quickly adjust the pressure in the airbags. So, I would suggest that you get an onboard compressor. However, you might try the Stable Loads first to see if they help.

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
Johndanielscpa wrote:
I have had both situations (no compressor and with compressor). If you can pay the extra for the compressor, here are my advantages having one:

1. No need to carry a pump
2. The simplicity of having a compressor means you can change air pressure on the fly
3. I like going down the road and when conditions warrant it, I can add or release air on the fly to adjust my ride while I'm driving.
4. When loading and unloading the camper, I have complete control over my bed height at the flip of a switch.
5. Some people have figured out how to tap into the compressor to use it for other needs; (e.g. Blowing up inflatable kayaks, balls, etc.)
6. If heavy winds come up while driving, you can add air to one side to reduce lean
7. Sometimes, I only need a bit of air to level the camper. Nice to do that inside the camper while watching my level.

I agree with this totally. I also do adjust mine based on road conditions on the fly and when I back into my RV port to be able to get closer to the upper angle cross supports. I really like the in the cab option.

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
IMO only necessary if you're airing up and down while on the road.
Yes a bike pump would do the same, but I have a compressor for my exhaust brake that I tapped into with an air hose for the bags primarily.
Was really handy on this last trip, unloaded the camper a few times during extended stays in areas. Made it super easy to air back up once the camper was back on.
Never used it though before this trip cause never took the camper off except at home.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

whazoo
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, which is personal, I'd like the on-board compressor for two reasons. To adjust the ride while...riding. And for leveling porpoises. Yes I know. In the meantime I use my tank of CO2 to air up the bags after airing down to off-road. Same as the tires. A bike pump is...too much work for an aging fellow, and I ran out of money for an on-board. Yet for the price of labor I'd certainly install the compressor myself. There, it had to be said, thank you. Also personally, I like AM's. I have Sundowners and PM's confuse me. Wait...what?

byronlj
Explorer
Explorer
When I only had the fifth wheel I rarely adjusted the bags. With the truck camper I use the onboard compressor all the time. I use it for leveling front to back and side to side. Adjust for different crowns in the road and even for ride quality on different surfaces. I love mine, plus I got a good rebate when I bought it.
Dave
byronlj
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
dave17352, not worth arguing, which is a hijack itself. PMs can be a good thing.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
dave17352 wrote:
Seems a little over zealous. But oh well. You just deleted the original posters second question and my response. I don't understand that at all. Have a good evening.
Respectfully, you probably would be the first to complain about hijacking a thread. As for the OPs question, okay but feeds into the hijack. The OP can re-post if they want, and are satisfied their post is not being hijacked. It is the OPs thread, and the OP may choose to change direction.

Unfortunately, most Airbag threads get hijacked with obsessed nay Sayers, and die without reasonable discussion.

Wayne

Respectfully Wayne, I don't think I have ever complained about a hijacked thread. Also my first response directly answered the OP first question and I mentioned the two other products I have used. My second post directly answered the the 2nd question the OP posted. As you could see I quoted him. But like I said oh well, it is what it is. So again have a good evening. I pm'd the OP with my thoughts on his second question.

Dave
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Johndanielscpa
Explorer
Explorer
I have had both situations (no compressor and with compressor). If you can pay the extra for the compressor, here are my advantages having one:

1. No need to carry a pump
2. The simplicity of having a compressor means you can change air pressure on the fly
3. I like going down the road and when conditions warrant it, I can add or release air on the fly to adjust my ride while I'm driving.
4. When loading and unloading the camper, I have complete control over my bed height at the flip of a switch.
5. Some people have figured out how to tap into the compressor to use it for other needs; (e.g. Blowing up inflatable kayaks, balls, etc.)
6. If heavy winds come up while driving, you can add air to one side to reduce lean
7. Sometimes, I only need a bit of air to level the camper. Nice to do that inside the camper while watching my level.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
dave17352 wrote:
Seems a little over zealous. But oh well. You just deleted the original posters second question and my response. I don't understand that at all. Have a good evening.
Respectfully, you probably would be the first to complain about hijacking a thread. As for the OPs question, okay but feeds into the hijack. The OP can re-post if they want, and are satisfied their post is not being hijacked. It is the OPs thread, and the OP may choose to change direction.

Unfortunately, most Airbag threads get hijacked with obsessed nay Sayers, and die without reasonable discussion.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke