cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airstream Trailers

MissouriBird
Explorer
Explorer
I know Airstreams have been around for a long time and have many loyal customers. But what is so special about them that helps them hold their resale value and their initial sales price when compared to other trailers of similar size other than just outside looks. Surely there are some outstanding engineering or construction factors in addition to their classic design that are responsible for their ongoing high values. Comments of experienced owners would be welcomed.
Nomads at heart
54 REPLIES 54

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actually the Lance was $25,000, and they hold their value better than most.
The AS, since Thor bought them are not what they use to be, and I can't justify paying $60,000 for something that in my opinion, is way over priced, and over hyped.
Also, I can pay cash for a $25,000 trailer, but not a $60,000 one, and if I can't pay cash I don't buy it.
I look at the older AS my friend has and it is built so much better that my other friends new one.
For bigger tanks, way more storage, and living space, I'm willing to loose a little more on the back end.
I see AS added rock guards to both front sides to keep rocks from damaging the sides of the trailer. I wonder if this is because the aluminum their using is thinner?

Arizona Kid,

As I indicated there are other reasons than cost that somebody might not want an Airstream. I can understand that. I also understand the paying cash thing as well. Well built or poorly built they are still the iconic pinnacle that many others measure their TT's against. Lances are not what they used to be, either! At one time they accoiunted for half of all truck campers sold in any year. Complaints were rare. If the forums are to be believed there have been issues with recent Lances that probably were never there in the past. It is more about the times and the manufacturer customer satisfaction quality that is employed in the making of most RV's. Most travel trailers are made in about 140-150 worker hours; Airstreams are almost 400 hours. There is a difference.

And Lances are no different than many other RV's in that customer's want it to be inexpensive, ideal floor plans, light towing weights, slide outs, etc. Rarely is factory quality the number one consideration in consumers minds at purchase time. And probably even less would be a club or an iconic timeless shape.

Enjoy your Lance!
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know for a fact if the old ones had thicker aluminum but I doubt it. It was pretty thin. Look at some old ones without gravel guards and they will have lots of dents.

Someone said the headliner was falling? I have never seen a headliner in an Airstream.

Factoid; Argosys were steel skinned.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem:

Actually the Lance was $25,000, and they hold their value better than most.
The AS, since Thor bought them are not what they use to be, and I can't justify paying $60,000 for something that in my opinion, is way over priced, and over hyped.
Also, I can pay cash for a $25,000 trailer, but not a $60,000 one, and if I can't pay cash I don't buy it.
I look at the older AS my friend has and it is built so much better that my other friends new one.
For bigger tanks, way more storage, and living space, I'm willing to loose a little more on the back end.
I see AS added rock guards to both front sides to keep rocks from damaging the sides of the trailer. I wonder if this is because the aluminum their using is thinner?

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wally Byam and the WBCCI promoted these trailers and created a cult following.

Wally Byam was a marketing genius. He could have sold anything and done it well. When he began to sell Airstreams because they embody the freedoms that every American wants and then takes his customers with their Airstreams on ships to the pyramids in Egypt, India, Africa, and Europe to use and enjoy their Airstream he developed the cult like following. People loved it. What other TT manufacturer did that or even does that today?

When Wally touted that travel broadens a persons perspective on world issues, their horizons, make them essentially smarter than those that don't travel, and allows for all that to happen on his caravans it is no wonder he had the following that he developed. Airstreams were not just trailers -- they were freedom and travel to exotic places that folks might not have ever done by themselves. Wally was incredibly smart and understood what people wanted.

Unfortunately, the club is now wrestling with how to develop a following among young folks. Young folks that are not retired and do not have the time for extensive travel are less inclined to join the club. And young folks are almost totally not interested in dress codes or spending an hour or so debating and discussing a proposed amendment to the by-laws. The club needs to adapt to reflect the times or it will be losing folks and not picking up new ones. If Wally was still alive I am sure he would have a perfect incentive for the young folks to invest in Airstream and join the club.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
I looked hard at a new 19' AS, but at almost twice the price of the 19' Lance, and no 4 Season package, or slide out, I just couldn't justify the price of the AS.

Apparently I don't get the 'Airstream's are too much money' logic. I can understand someone not wanting an Airstream and perhaps for several reasons but not the too costly argument. If you purchase an Airstream for $65,000 and in ten years sell it for $55,000 it has cost (apart from taxes, insurance, loan interest and maintenance costs) $10,000 to own it. And it tows better so the owner might even get a slight but likely very mininal break on fuel mileage.

If the Lance or any other box trailer costs $30,000 and in ten years it is worth $15,000 (highly unlikely as standard box trailers usually lose half their value in about five years), then the real cost to own is $15,000. The Lance cost $5000 more to own than the Airstream over the ten years. How is the Lance less expensive???

I understand about tying up money and the Airstream ties up more money to be sure. But at the end of the day it is less expensive from a purely cost to purchase and then resell basis.

I previously owned an Alaskan cabover pop up camper, based in some ways on the same aluminum shell that is similar to Airstream. In ten years I lost $500 in ownership costs from the purchase price to the selling price. Any other cabover camper including Lance would have likely caused me to suffer significantly more depreciation. Yea, Alaskans are expensive but at the end of the ten years my ownershop costs were far less than probably any other pop up cab over camper on the market. Quality holds value and it does not hurt that there is a constant demand for the pre- owned product based on buyers historical perception of longevity and value retention of the product.

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Once up on a time, Airstream was a pretty quality trailer. Thor now owns A/S and it is not the quality of the older ones. They are riding on their past.

Wally Byam and the WBCCI promoted these trailers and created a cult following. And the mystic is still there for the trailers. A/S was the last of the silver trailers to survive, but they were not the best by a long shot.

The trailers that were of a higher quality we the Streamline, Silver Streak and the Avion. The Avion was the peak of silver trailer quality. Heavier aluminum, better insulation, better wood, etc.

My nickels worth folks.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
You can get them with a slide.
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

chorbelt
Explorer
Explorer
texasclarks wrote:
chorbelt wrote:
I don't get the hit on Airstreams not having storage; no TT's have decent storage. FWIW, once I'm ready to get rid of the POS Komfort, I'll be getting an Airstream.

I too should love to ditch my current TT, but with two kids I can't afford one nor get one with enough dedicated bed,

Haha. Storage space = kids bunks, you're right; they definitely don't have the family friendly floorplans of the cookie cutter TT's. We spend most of our time outdoors unless it's raining, and the bunks are nice right now, but in a couple of years, when the kids (two also) can't wedge themselves into them anymore is when I'll pull the trigger and upgrade.

That's the only benefit of living in Seattle; they have to pay me well to stay here, so affording one won't be a stretch. I'm cheap too, so I'll travel for a deal.....
'11 Four Winds 23'
'97 Ford F-350 CC 7.3 and 10' Alaskan NCO - Unknown vintage.
'05 Komfort 27' Bunkhouse (gone)

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Came across this video last night. A major portion of the video was of Airstreams made for the German market. I do love their aesthetics and apparent built quality. Other than that they make little sense.

THE LOLOHO SHOW - Airstream Camping IN GERMANY
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

chr_
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:
I know Airstreams have been around for a long time and have many loyal customers. But what is so special about them that helps them hold their resale value and their initial sales price when compared to other trailers of similar size other than just outside looks.

About two thirds of Airstreams made since the mid 1930's are still in use. That is way better than most box trailers that often don't make it much farther than the payment period. Maybe that is one reason why they hold their value better. They last longer!

And no rubber roof or filon/gel sides to delam. Another plus.

And torsion axles instead of the normal springs. Torsion axles are typically on the higher value products.

The Airstream is iconic, the image is the one often first thought of when thinking 'travel trailer'. Image and perception are for many reality; reality is often irrevelant.

Airstream is more of a luxury item than it is an RV. It just happens to be a luxury item that is also an RV. Airstream's marketing recognizes the luxury aspects of the product. It is not just another standard box trailer.

Like Harley Davidson and Boeing, Airstream's name has recognition with 'America', 'American made' and a long history of being part and parcel of American industry. Some folks really like that.

The Airstream folks have a well organized club, with many regional chapters that are very active. Friends almost everywhere you want to go. Airstream's founder Wally Byam was a marketing genius and the following he had was contageous. He took trips around the world with his customers and their Airstreams often months long and remote places like the entire length of Africa.

Airstream is still often quoted as the standard that most measure their TT products by in terms of quality and longevity.

Now you have a few reasons why Airstream sells every one they make and why many don't balk at the prices. A product that lasts 40 or 50 years is far less expensive that three TT's that last 15 or so years each. Long term life cycle costs are likely less on an Airstream than any other travel trailer.

Go get one!!! You too can then enjoy the benefits of being an Airstreamer.

They DO leak, and have many seams with which to do so.

Aluminum repair is not a DIY exercise, and expensive.

Torsion axles are not as good as the hype would suggest.

They do tow well, but larger ones are pretty heavy for the usable size.
My FIL sold his recently. It leaked, smelled funny, and had other issues, such as sagging headliner, shower door falling off, etc, and he took care of it.

They have all the same problems as a regular TT, But do hold their value better.
-CHR$
1996 Safari Sahara Edition 35' Diesel Pusher. Just getting the Solar stuff started.

texasclarks
Explorer
Explorer
chorbelt wrote:
I don't get the hit on Airstreams not having storage; no TT's have decent storage. FWIW, once I'm ready to get rid of the POS Komfort, I'll be getting an Airstream.

I too should love to ditch my current TT, but with two kids I can't afford one nor get one with enough dedicated bed,
Posts are for entertainment purposes only and should not be construed as endorsement or recommendations. YMMV!

Steven & Stacie, plus 2 ('02 & '07)
'04 Suburban 2500, Quad Seats, 8.1L, 3.73
'09 Rockwood 8313SS

Texas not just a State, but a State of mind!

chorbelt
Explorer
Explorer
'11 Four Winds 23'
'97 Ford F-350 CC 7.3 and 10' Alaskan NCO - Unknown vintage.
'05 Komfort 27' Bunkhouse (gone)

Finally
Explorer
Explorer
We have friends that had an Airstream. They missed having storage and space, so they traded for a TT with slides.
2012 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2005 Tiffin Phaeton Sold
2009 Lincoln MKX
and Milli

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know Airstreams have been around for a long time and have many loyal customers. But what is so special about them that helps them hold their resale value and their initial sales price when compared to other trailers of similar size other than just outside looks.

About two thirds of Airstreams made since the mid 1930's are still in use. That is way better than most box trailers that often don't make it much farther than the payment period. Maybe that is one reason why they hold their value better. They last longer!

And no rubber roof or filon/gel sides to delam. Another plus.

And torsion axles instead of the normal springs. Torsion axles are typically on the higher value products.

The Airstream is iconic, the image is the one often first thought of when thinking 'travel trailer'. Image and perception are for many reality; reality is often irrevelant.

Airstream is more of a luxury item than it is an RV. It just happens to be a luxury item that is also an RV. Airstream's marketing recognizes the luxury aspects of the product. It is not just another standard box trailer.

Like Harley Davidson and Boeing, Airstream's name has recognition with 'America', 'American made' and a long history of being part and parcel of American industry. Some folks really like that.

The Airstream folks have a well organized club, with many regional chapters that are very active. Friends almost everywhere you want to go. Airstream's founder Wally Byam was a marketing genius and the following he had was contageous. He took trips around the world with his customers and their Airstreams often months long and remote places like the entire length of Africa.

Airstream is still often quoted as the standard that most measure their TT products by in terms of quality and longevity.

Now you have a few reasons why Airstream sells every one they make and why many don't balk at the prices. A product that lasts 40 or 50 years is far less expensive that three TT's that last 15 or so years each. Long term life cycle costs are likely less on an Airstream than any other travel trailer.

Go get one!!! You too can then enjoy the benefits of being an Airstreamer.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Less is more. We have had two, my dad several of all lengths. Short ones for higher drive vs. parking ratio trips, longer ones when they started long term parking all summer.

They won't leak and delaminate, they are very simple and easy to repair.

Most parts are readily available for all years.

We had season tickets for UF games for 20 years and had a 40' DP and other various motorhomes with slides and tons of storage. We decided to stop going this season and are going to sell the motorhome and look for used 31 AS with a slide and a gas 3/4 ton truck.

Life will be much simpler with less worries about things breaking.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.