cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airstream Trailers

MissouriBird
Explorer
Explorer
I know Airstreams have been around for a long time and have many loyal customers. But what is so special about them that helps them hold their resale value and their initial sales price when compared to other trailers of similar size other than just outside looks. Surely there are some outstanding engineering or construction factors in addition to their classic design that are responsible for their ongoing high values. Comments of experienced owners would be welcomed.
Nomads at heart
54 REPLIES 54

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Jmtandem wrote:
They are popular in Europe. However, they are about six inches narrower so they are not the exact same product sold in the US. They are not for everybody, but for those that like them they are the pinnacle of TT ownership.

Do not sell many in Europe, but same Art Deco niche appeal. Harley Davidson a niche manufacturer does the same , trades on style uniqueness.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Saw my first not far from Mt Rushmore in the US. Have since inspected in detail, at the Sydney Caravan and Camping Show Must admit they are very much an acquired taste.Only sales I have seen in Australia as PR vehicles for a few companies, trading on their Art Deco looks

They are popular in Europe. However, they are about six inches narrower so they are not the exact same product sold in the US. They are not for everybody, but for those that like them they are the pinnacle of TT ownership.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:
Like anything else in life, they're only worth what people are willing to pay.

Than they must be worth quite a bit, some are in excess of $100,000 new. And Airstream sells every one they make.

Saw my first not far from Mt Rushmore in the US. Have since inspected in detail, at the Sydney Caravan and Camping Show Must admit they are very much an acquired taste.Only sales I have seen in Australia as PR vehicles for a few companies, trading on their Art Deco looks

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
chorbelt wrote:
I don't get the hit on Airstreams not having storage; no TT's have decent storage. FWIW, once I'm ready to get rid of the POS Komfort, I'll be getting an Airstream.

Bunks and/or outdoor kitchens steal a lot of potential storage. One of the reasons my TT won out in our hunt earlier this year was how much usable storage it has. Then again, I can't sleep as many as you can.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II

Than they must be worth quite a bit, some are in excess of $100,000 new. And Airstream sells every one they make.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
I don't know for a fact if the old ones had thicker aluminum but I doubt it. It was pretty thin. Look at some old ones without gravel guards and they will have lots of dents.

Someone said the headliner was falling? I have never seen a headliner in an Airstream.

Factoid; Argosys were steel skinned.

🙂 Hi, "Factoid Argosys were steel skinned." False; Argosys had steel upper end caps only, the rest was aluminum, same as Airstreams. Aistreams (some) have headliners and like some old cars, the headliners can come loose and hang down. Fortunately mine is still like new after nine years.
🙂 Bob 🙂
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I have never seen a sexy piece of machinery. Women are sexy! Well, most Italians are! Airstreams are overpriced. They want over 100K for a new 30ft. I have a Boles Aero. Lots more rooms and built better, still aluminum. It's like driving a Humvee. More money than brains. We have an Arctic Fox. Use it in 4 degree weather or 120. Very comfy and heavy as a tank.

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
Arizona Kid,
As I indicated there are other reasons than cost that somebody might not want an Airstream. I can understand that. I also understand the paying cash thing as well. Well built or poorly built they are still the iconic pinnacle that many others measure their TT's against. Lances are not what they used to be, either! At one time they accoiunted for half of all truck campers sold in any year. Complaints were rare. If the forums are to be believed there have been issues with recent Lances that probably were never there in the past. It is more about the times and the manufacturer customer satisfaction quality that is employed in the making of most RV's. Most travel trailers are made in about 140-150 worker hours; Airstreams are almost 400 hours. There is a difference.
And Lances are no different than many other RV's in that customer's want it to be inexpensive, ideal floor plans, light towing weights, slide outs, etc. Rarely is factory quality the number one consideration in consumers minds at purchase time. And probably even less would be a club or an iconic timeless shape.
Enjoy your Lance!

Lance has only made TT for I think 5 years, and there were some problems with the early 2009's and 2010's, but since then the quality has been very good, and I would say better than most. And factory quality was a consideration for me.
Maybe I should have said (imo) just the AS trailer is over priced, to be a member of the Club, and have the cool factor, then maybe, for many, not over priced.
If it was just a no name trailer, with no "Club" how many do you think would be sold at the price AS is asking?
I love to see an AS trailer going down the road, it reminds me of when I was a kid, and it is "the" symbol of RVing, and I hope they never stop making them.

ISBRAM
Explorer
Explorer
Thor has owned Airstream for 34 years if there was a quality problem I would think it would be common knowledge. I have had several friends that owned them both new and used and never heard about any unusual issues.
I can’t say if we will ever own one because my wife doesn’t like the interiors, I think they look great.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB Cummins
2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 28RB

If you see me camped someplace stop and say hi, I've always got an extra ice cold beer.

chr_
Explorer
Explorer
Having both a "Box" TT (A good one) and a GMC Motorhome of the same length, I have to say, I will give up sexy for space. The tumblehome (curved walls at the top) on the GMC and the Airstream take away a lot of storage and "space". My FIL's Airstream was stuffy and heavy. The interior walls are structural so if you are a hobbyist, and plan to get an old one and refurb, plan on a lot of work, where TT's (and my Aluminum framed GMC) have no load bearing walls or members so you can do whatcha want.
-CHR$
1996 Safari Sahara Edition 35' Diesel Pusher. Just getting the Solar stuff started.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
A quick look in RV Trader reveals the following:

A new 2014 22' Airstream Sport has an MSRP of $50K or so.

A used 2008 is being offered at $35K ($15K less/30% less than new)

I couldn't find any comparable units that were 10 years old, however, a unit that has lost 30% of its value in 6 years doesn't indicate to me that Airstreams have high resale values as indicated by some posters. Sure, you may buy a highly depreciated used Airstream and keep it for 10 years and lose very little money, but the same thing can be said of practically any type of RV or brand.

It depends on what the 2014 was actually sold for, then resold for. MSRP is anything the dealer wants it to be. It is not necessarily what a customer pays.

Check out a Lance, or Arctic Fox, or Shadow Crusier, or Rockwood, or whatever and see what the spread is new/used. Then you will get some comparative data. From what I have seen box trailers depreciate about ten percent a year so at the five year mark they are worth about half of new. Hopefully the owner never paid MSRP or the depreciation hit could be bigger each month that the payments are to the bank. Maintenance and condition also dictate a lot of the used value.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Avion was the peak of silver trailer quality. Heavier aluminum, better insulation, better wood, etc.

I think Fleetwood made the Avion in it's later years. Too bad Avions are gone as they were very well made, heavy, but well made. That is sometimes what happens when large corporations look at bottom line profits as more important than making a lasting well made product that consumers can enjoy for years.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
A quick look in RV Trader reveals the following:

A new 2014 22' Airstream Sport has an MSRP of $50K or so.

A used 2008 is being offered at $35K ($15K less/30% less than new)

I couldn't find any comparable units that were 10 years old, however, a unit that has lost 30% of its value in 6 years doesn't indicate to me that Airstreams have high resale values as indicated by some posters. Sure, you may buy a highly depreciated used Airstream and keep it for 10 years and lose very little money, but the same thing can be said of practically any type of RV or brand.