cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

America’s Wildflowers, On the Road in a Truck Camper Pt 2

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
In honor of the First Day of Spring, I thought I would return to posting my thread of America’s Wildflowers on the Road in a Truck Camper. The last time we did this was more than 2 years ago so it is long overdue. At least for those of us that search out and enjoy the wildflowers in this grand country we live in.

Hopefully many of you will find this as a challenge to post here too! Your discoveries and your favorite flowers you see and enjoy while traveling in your truck Campers. The rules? There is only one, please keep the flowers you post here ones that are not in a yard or any formal flower garden. Yes, a wildflower bed would be fine, but not one you found in the flower section of the Home Depot.

Ahh, yes, for those two that mentioned that this was not TC content, before, understand that we are enjoying these wildflowers as much as you enjoy the museums, the fishing pictures, boat pictures and an occasional horse shows. Because I enjoy all those, as well.

Please post your favorite Wildflower pictures here too!!!

But, for Truck Camper content, I will open with one I captured on a past photography hunt, with a good buddy that brought his own camera along, too.

Desert Five-Spot Ermalche rotundifolia

Claret-Cup Cactus Echinocereus triglochidiatus

Saguaro Cactus Carnegiea gigantea

Prairie Wild Rose Rosa arkansaa

Dune Evening Primrose ~ Oenothera californica eurekens

Sunflower Helianthus annuus

Canadian Thistle Cirsium arvense

Those that know me know that I have hundreds of Wildflowers to post. But, how about some of you post some of your favorite wildflower photos too. Just a change in how we post here. Like my previous wildflowers thread, surprise me!

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr
142 REPLIES 142

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
PatrickA51 wrote:
GoinThisAway wrote:
PatrickA51 wrote:
bka0721 wrote:
Tiger4x4RV wrote:
Yes, I can enjoy them without their names. However, as a retired reference librarian, not knowing the answer bugs me. So...

CalFlora has photographs and observation records. The pink bush is Prunus andersonii, Desert Peach, and has been observed on Pine Creek Road and that is where I took the photo. Bingo!
Excellent. Then you will enjoy this thread too. As stated before, I am certainly not the final answer, especially in a state I have never lived in. For me it is fun and I like bugs too!

I did check out the Calflora site and it is a closed group. Looks interesting!

b
Boy what enjaoable pictures, America’s Wildflowers, On the Road in a Truck Camper Pt 2
I have a question, where is a link to part 1?
excellent pictures.

Here's link to America's wildflowers Part 1. No sure if the b's first spate of photos is showing up ... it's not for me ... but other photos are there.
Thank you for posting the link. It says the post is closed. I was able to get to see some of the pictures thanks. The sanctimonious few have struck again.
Thanks Phyllis (GoingThisway) for finding this old post. As you found it was from a few years ago. There is no dark reason the post was closed. It is the software for this site, RV.net. If there are no posts for twelve months, the thread is automatically closed.

As for what happened to my earlier posted pictures, there was a dark side to that part. For a few years I had used a free site for hosting my pictures for posting here. As all of us are in need to do. One day I received a notice the the site was sold and it was being changed to a for profit site. To keep one's photos live and still visible, as always, through their links, one needed to subscribe to their service for a year at a time, per the agreement. The cost was substantial. I didn't subscribe and after 30 days the links were deleted.

My narratives are still there, as are others that posted their photos there too.

b
09 Lance 1191
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Re: Caterpillar - not a gypsy moth - no tambourine... sorry...! ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

PatrickA51
Explorer
Explorer
GoinThisAway wrote:
PatrickA51 wrote:
bka0721 wrote:
Tiger4x4RV wrote:
Yes, I can enjoy them without their names. However, as a retired reference librarian, not knowing the answer bugs me. So...

CalFlora has photographs and observation records. The pink bush is Prunus andersonii, Desert Peach, and has been observed on Pine Creek Road and that is where I took the photo. Bingo!
Excellent. Then you will enjoy this thread too. As stated before, I am certainly not the final answer, especially in a state I have never lived in. For me it is fun and I like bugs too!

b

Boy what enjaoable pictures, America’s Wildflowers, On the Road in a Truck Camper Pt 2
excellent pictures.

Here's link to America's wildflowers Part 1. No sure if the b's first spate of photos is showing up ... it's not for me ... but other photos are there.
Thank you for posting the link. It says the post is closed. I was able to get to see some of the pictures thanks. The sanctimonious few have struck again.

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
whazoo wrote:
What you all may not know, is that Bryan does not really know the names to all these plants. No, he has some facial recognition software left from his days in law enforcement that he has tweaked for plf's. Pretty Little Flowers. Say it ain't so B-Man. He merely uploads the flower picture and hits a button and waits for the software to scroll through all the known flower mug shots. The software is from the FBI, Flower Bureau of Investgation. There you have it...
Well, I, we, know now who can keep a secret and who can't.

Geez.

b
09 Lance 1191
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

whazoo
Explorer
Explorer
What you all may not know, is that Bryan does not really know the names to all these plants. No, he has some facial recognition software left from his days in law enforcement that he has tweaked for plf's. Pretty Little Flowers. Say it ain't so B-Man. He merely uploads the flower picture and hits a button and waits for the software to scroll through all the known flower mug shots. The software is from the FBI, Flowers of Bryan's Investgation. There you have it...

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
RenoAl wrote:
Brian, good thread and lovely photos from all. A couple from me.

Chuckwallicus among unblooming desert gold
RenoAl. What a treat to hear from you and see some of your photos. Thanks too.

Like you I am fascinated with lizards, as well. The largest part of their diet can be plants. Often the blooms too. Some reptiles the only water they consume is from the plants the eat. Here is a Mojave Fringed Toed Lizard ~ Uma scoparia I tracked for two days before catching a couple of photos. Here was almost 18 inches long.

Then, of course, you have other species that consume wildflowers. Like this caterpillar I came across in Mt Rainier National Park. Anyone know what it might be?

What about butterflies? Anyone have any of those as well?

b
09 Lance 1191
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
PatrickA51 wrote:
bka0721 wrote:
Tiger4x4RV wrote:

b

excellent pictures.

2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tiger4x4RV wrote:
The orange stuff is dodder, a parasitic plant. It can eventually kill the host plant.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7496.html
Great catch Reddog1. What really is hard to convey is how dramatic this parasite is in the bright color it is. It is more apparent in the wet seasons, in Death Valley, and can be found in many places. Sadly it seems to be taking a strong foothold on the native species. The link Tiger4X4 is a good source to learn more about it.

b
09 Lance 1191
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
cdbinns wrote:
Here's a favorite. I know most people consider them a pesky weed, but when you look at them closely, they really are beautiful.
you are absolutely right in how intricate and detailed these can be. Even though we often played with them as children. Then you have another species, non native, popping up in many areas due to road and highway projects, like the; Western Salsify ~ Tragopogon Dubius

b

09 Lance 1191
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
Snow Plants are certainly acceptable on the Wildflowers Thread. I too was amazed the first time I saw them, while on my motorcycle riding through Lassen Volcanic National Park, in 2012.

b

09 Lance 1191
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tiger4x4RV wrote:
The orange stuff is dodder, a parasitic plant. It can eventually kill the host plant.

Thanks never knew the scientific name. I have always known it as witches hair and starts growing in the spring here in so cal. It is edible and I always take a bite of it when I come across it 🙂 slightly bitter but not too bad.
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Dodder is pretty, at least to the small child I was when I first remember seeing it. I used to pick bits while walking home from school and then scatter them. When I found out it was a parasite, I felt like I might have been a plant murderer by scattering.

Yes, dodder does feel like soft plastic. It doesn't look quite real, as though perhaps some tourist child had attacked the plant with orange silly string.

Many years later, when I saw some in my vegetable garden and consulted the UC Ag advisor about getting rid of it, I found that it has very small flowers which make seeds which are often scattered by birds or wind.

Here is a photo of dodder flowers:

Here are some beautiful snow plants, also parasites. We cannot leave them out. Parasites are wildflowers, too. Right?

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

PatrickA51
Explorer
Explorer
bka0721 wrote:
Tiger4x4RV wrote:

b

excellent pictures.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it is the same as that on the UCD site, I wonder why they do not show a bigger plant? I also question they could get rid of it, it was all over.

As I recall, I could see no leaves and it did not touch the ground. It felt like soft plastic.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed