cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any details on Ford's new HD class gas engine?

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
I am casually shopping my next truck ( prob get an '18) and am curious if there are any more details out about Ford's next big gas HD line engine. I really really don't want another diesel ( have an '08 CTD ) - but I will eventualy (hopefully) need to tow a 12-14K 5th wheel. I like the 6.2 but just don't know if it would cut it when we tow to the Rockies once a year.
2017 F250 PSD 4X4
2015 Livin Lite Axxcess 24FBA
2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe
21 REPLIES 21

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
DinTulsa wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
Chris Bryant wrote:
It's going to have to have a turbo for the rockies to really cut it.

You do realize that the 6.2 has NEARLY THREE TIMES more HP and torque than say a 1970's - 1990's gas engines that were available in pickup trucks back then.. Many of those big blocks in pickup trucks back then barely had more than 150-160 HP..

Yeah, they ate fuel and went slow, but they got the job done..

Now days folks seem to think you must drive 80 MPH up 10% grades with 20K of weight and never slow down even one mile an hr..

I have a 2013 6.2 3.73 axle and let me tell you it PULLS, I tow 7K TT and even on 9%-10% grades it has plenty of snot left for more..

Yeah, I do understand at higher elevations you will lose some power but really if you lose say 10% of your HP that amounts to about 36 HP which is nothing when you are starting out with 360 HP to begin with..

If one was going to make it a habit towing at high elevations with 10K lbs or more that then go with 4.10 axle with the 6.2..

He's looking at a 12-14k 5th wheels, he will need the 4.10 axle to cut it on flat ground. I'm not bashing the 6.2, I think it's a great engine, but that's a lot of weight.

While it won't be sporting up the mountains at 80 MPH, I am sure it WILL pull it.

Heck, if my Dad could tow a 11K 5th wheel with a lethargic 1980 F350 with 150 HP 400 CID non fuel injection engine with 3 speed C6 transmission up 10% grades at 75 MPH I am sure the OP should be able to at least tow 14K with 365 HP with 6 speed transmission up 10% grades while maintaining at least 50MPH-55 MPH..

YES, it WILL lose some speed, YES, it isn't going to win any races, YES, it WILL be running high RPMs, YES, it WILL gulp fuel, YES, IT WILL BE NOISY, but it WILL get the job done.

Folks now days are plain dirt scared to hear an engine scream, IT WON'T HURT THE ENGINE to run 4K, 4.5K or even 5K RPMS for a long time. That engine IS BUILT to operate at those RPMs.. It IS the reason why Ford DERATED the 6.2 in the F250 and F350s..

As a side note, I HAVE towed with a 2003 5.4 F250 as much as 10K lbs on my flatbed trailer.. As a refresher, that year was a pretty weak 265 HP 2V 5.4.. topped a 12% 1 mile grade at 45 MPH.. NO "running start" at the bottom, has a STOP LIGHT NEAR the bottom of the hill and ALWAYS end up hitting that RED LIGHT..

Love this post.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

windellmc
Explorer
Explorer
Flashman wrote:
yeah but I hate pulling a train load of cars stuck behind me on steep mnt roads.

Don't worry about that. There will be several semis in the same boat. Just get in line. At best they have 600hp (probably not more than 500 hp at that altitude) and are pulling 60-80k lbs.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
DinTulsa wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
Chris Bryant wrote:

You do realize that the 6.2 has NEARLY THREE TIMES more HP and torque than say a 1970's - 1990's gas engines that were available in pickup trucks back then.. Many of those big blocks in pickup trucks back then barely had more than 150-160 HP..

Now days folks seem to think you must drive 80 MPH up 10% grades with 20K of weight and never slow down even one mile an hr..

I have a 2013 6.2 3.73 axle and let me tell you it PULLS, I tow 7K TT and even on 9%-10% grades it has plenty of snot left for more..

Yeah, I do understand at higher elevations you will lose some power but really if you lose say 10% of your HP that amounts to about 36 HP which is nothing when you are starting out with 360 HP to begin with..

If one was going to make it a habit towing at high elevations with 10K lbs or more that then go with 4.10 axle with the 6.2..

He's looking at a 12-14k 5th wheels, he will need the 4.10 axle to cut it on flat ground. I'm not bashing the 6.2, I think it's a great engine, but that's a lot of weight.

While it won't be sporting up the mountains at 80 MPH, I am sure it WILL pull it.

Heck, if my Dad could tow a 11K 5th wheel with a lethargic 1980 F350 with 150 HP 400 CID non fuel injection engine with 3 speed C6 transmission up 10% grades at 75 MPH I am sure the OP should be able to at least tow 14K with 365 HP with 6 speed transmission up 10% grades while maintaining at least 50MPH-55 MPH..

YES, it WILL lose some speed, YES, it isn't going to win any races, YES, it WILL be running high RPMs, YES, it WILL gulp fuel, YES, IT WILL BE NOISY, but it WILL get the job done.

Folks now days are plain dirt scared to hear an engine scream, IT WON'T HURT THE ENGINE to run 4K, 4.5K or even 5K RPMS for a long time. That engine IS BUILT to operate at those RPMs.. It IS the reason why Ford DERATED the 6.2 in the F250 and F350s..

As a side note, I HAVE towed with a 2003 5.4 F250 as much as 10K lbs on my flatbed trailer.. As a refresher, that year was a pretty weak 265 HP 2V 5.4.. topped a 12% 1 mile grade at 45 MPH.. NO "running start" at the bottom, has a STOP LIGHT NEAR the bottom of the hill and ALWAYS end up hitting that RED LIGHT..

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Txsurfer wrote:
i mean how bad could it be.. you make it over the pass 20 mins behind a diesel. And then you park for 5 days. Big fricken deal. I'm not trying to be a hotshot driver. It's not like the gas truck won't make it or something..the other 51 weeks you are enjoying your purchase.
Did not see the Ike Gauntlet for the 6.2 yet but I would be willing to bet the difference would only be a couple of minutes difference not 20 minutes difference.

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
kw/00 wrote:
4.30 diff I believe, the 4.10 is a common Chevy ratio in the newer HD trucks. If I would own a 6.2 I would step up to the 4.30.

Yeah that seems to be the common suggestion. My Tundra has 4.30s and it def helps it.
2017 F250 PSD 4X4

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
4.30 diff I believe, the 4.10 is a common Chevy ratio in the newer HD trucks. If I would own a 6.2 I would step up to the 4.30.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II

Hmmmmmmmmmm was the 6.2 available with the 4.10 diffy. :h my 2012 was not.

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
Chris Bryant wrote:

Flashman
Explorer II
Explorer II
yeah but I hate pulling a train load of cars stuck behind me on steep mnt roads.

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
i mean how bad could it be.. you make it over the pass 20 mins behind a diesel. And then you park for 5 days. Big fricken deal. I'm not trying to be a hotshot driver. It's not like the gas truck won't make it or something..the other 51 weeks you are enjoying your purchase.
2017 F250 PSD 4X4

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Chris Bryant wrote:

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
I realize it won't compare to the diesel but I may be able to live with it for the one week out of the year. Towing around Texas and Florida won't be an issue.
2017 F250 PSD 4X4

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Txsurfer wrote:
... need to tow a 12-14K 5th wheel. I like the 6.2 but just don't know if it would cut it when we tow to the Rockies once a year.

Nothing wrong with the V10, although the fuel economy could be better. Lots of torque. Gear it right, and should have no problem.

Only real problem is you can't get it in a pickup. You'd have to order a cab-chassis and add a bed, but that potentially could mean skipping out on a lot of amenities.

The V10 with the 6R140 torque-shift seems to do at least as good fuel economy wise, as the 6.2L with the 5R110.

Highest trim level available in the cab-chassis trucks is Lariat, and if you go with the V10 there is only one rear axle ratio: 4.88. V10 is not available in the F350 cab-chassis, so you'd have to get an F450 minimum.

I considered going that route myself, and eventually ruled it out. Too many down sides for us, and there was the cost of putting a bed on it as well. The F450 pickup was actually the closest to meeting all of our needs, and has worked out very well.

Ford needs a gas engine option in the F450 pickup though.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
It won't even compare, set your expectations low. I'm not bashing the tundra as they are good truck, but it's no diesel.