cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any TC's on 2006 Dodge CDI. looking at exhaust brake

TCINTN
Explorer
Explorer
After spending so much time in Western states and going up and down so many hills, the T/H on my automatic transmission does not help slow the truck down. Having to use to much brake.
Have been looking at exhaust brakes and was wondering if there are any comments from those who have one on a 5.9 Cummins. And which one is best and cost.
Thanks
Ed
"But if not"
"Nevertheless"
24 REPLIES 24

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
pirlbeck wrote:

About the only problem you could run into that I did not have to worry about is rust......rusted hardware and rusted exhaust pipe connections. My truck was pretty new when I did mine so it was not a concern.

Might have exhaust hardware, otherwise mine is all good. A benefit of living in California and staying off salted roads. I'll be sure to check and have new stuff on hand in case.

pirlbeck
Explorer
Explorer
skipro3 wrote:
pirlbeck wrote:

Well, I have been a mechanic pretty much all of my adult life and I have owned my own farm tractor repair shop since 1976, so I may of had a little advantage. If I remember correctly, the furnished instructions were pretty good. I did it on a weekend when my help was not at the shop and I had to have my wife help hold the exhaust up to get it reconnected.

I've read the instructions several times over and completely understand what's going on and what is needed. I just wasn't sure there wasn't going to be 'skill' involved in performing the tasks to get 'er done.

In fact, my kit contained the wrong harness. What I had in no way compared to what the instructions stipulated. So I built my own harness from the diagrams and schematics. Then, for some reason, I called Jacob's and talked to them. A very nice technician and I chatted and he understood what I was going to need. He mailed me the correct harness (with the relay and all) without any charge. He told me the only nut was the wire/pin connecting to the ECM. He said the 2005's had the ECM on the passenger side of the block and the 2006 had the ECM on the driver side and that the harness he was sending me might have that wire too short if it's for a 2005 and not 2006. (Part #'s were the same, so, without measuring, he wasn't sure which he was sending.) No problems there; I worked in electronics and extending a wire with a splice isn't any trouble.

I suppose as long as I have the right tools, (nothing unusual that I could see, right?)and I have help in the form of another RAM diesel truck owner, I should be able to accomplish this without destroying my motor. Ha!

Thanks for the info/advice!

About the only problem you could run into that I did not have to worry about is rust......rusted hardware and rusted exhaust pipe connections. My truck was pretty new when I did mine so it was not a concern.
2009 Lance 845
2021 Flagstaff 529RLKS 36'6" fifthwheel
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
19.5 Rickson wheels with Michelin XZE tires
Air lift bags with 72000 wireless onboard air
Hellwig Big Wig rear sway bar
Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks
Torqlift tie downs

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
pirlbeck wrote:

Well, I have been a mechanic pretty much all of my adult life and I have owned my own farm tractor repair shop since 1976, so I may of had a little advantage. If I remember correctly, the furnished instructions were pretty good. I did it on a weekend when my help was not at the shop and I had to have my wife help hold the exhaust up to get it reconnected.

I've read the instructions several times over and completely understand what's going on and what is needed. I just wasn't sure there wasn't going to be 'skill' involved in performing the tasks to get 'er done.

In fact, my kit contained the wrong harness. What I had in no way compared to what the instructions stipulated. So I built my own harness from the diagrams and schematics. Then, for some reason, I called Jacob's and talked to them. A very nice technician and I chatted and he understood what I was going to need. He mailed me the correct harness (with the relay and all) without any charge. He told me the only nut was the wire/pin connecting to the ECM. He said the 2005's had the ECM on the passenger side of the block and the 2006 had the ECM on the driver side and that the harness he was sending me might have that wire too short if it's for a 2005 and not 2006. (Part #'s were the same, so, without measuring, he wasn't sure which he was sending.) No problems there; I worked in electronics and extending a wire with a splice isn't any trouble.

I suppose as long as I have the right tools, (nothing unusual that I could see, right?)and I have help in the form of another RAM diesel truck owner, I should be able to accomplish this without destroying my motor. Ha!

Thanks for the info/advice!

pirlbeck
Explorer
Explorer
skipro3 wrote:
pirlbeck wrote:
I installed the Cummins exhaust brake kit on my 2006 with auto when the truck was new. No software updates are anything else required. I remember plugging the one wire into the ECM connector was a little tricky for some reason.....I think I was a little uncertain which location to put the wire into.

The exhaust brake worked great last summer with a pickup camper in the Canadian Rockies. I was very glad I had it in the mountains.

So you think a guy with basic mechanical skill and knowledge can do the install without much difficulty? Is this a one person or two person job?

2009 Lance 845
Torqlift tie downs

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
You will have to modify it to use the air for an air hose, but it's simple. Put a tee into the line and a valve to cut off air to the new line. Start the truck, use the e brake switch in the cab to activate the compressor. Works well. I.ve used it many times. I hard plumbed in one of those little yellow coiled up hoses and it lives under the hood.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
pirlbeck wrote:
I installed the Cummins exhaust brake kit on my 2006 with auto when the truck was new. No software updates are anything else required. I remember plugging the one wire into the ECM connector was a little tricky for some reason.....I think I was a little uncertain which location to put the wire into.

The exhaust brake worked great last summer with a pickup camper in the Canadian Rockies. I was very glad I had it in the mountains.

So you think a guy with basic mechanical skill and knowledge can do the install without much difficulty? Is this a one person or two person job?

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Agree on the compressor operated vs vacuum pump. Aside from differnet belt and another component that can fail and leave you on the side of the road, the belt routing is horrendous on these trucks already, no need to complicate it further.
Air is handy too. It's not as good as a viair compressor, but I've used it for airbags (nice when you unload the camper somewhere and can air down the airbags and re fill), balls, bike tires, inner tubes, and in a pinch you could air up a tire if necessary. (Not reccomended, they're lighter duty cycle)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

pirlbeck
Explorer
Explorer

2009 Lance 845
Torqlift tie downs

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
My '03 Dodge/Cummins 5.9/NV5600 six speed manual tranny has the Jacobs exhaust brake. The '03 was the first year of the new HPCR engines with the 4" exhaust. Jacobs was late with the new exhaust brakes.
Towed a 11k 5th wheel trailer and other GN flatbeds for 3 months before the EB was ready and supplied to the Dodge dealers. Downhills was scary as zero engine braking. Just like shifting the tranny to neutral.

After the Jacobs was installed I used the trucks brakes very little (135k miles before new brake pads/front only).
I wouldn't own any brand of diesel without some type of exhaust braking.

Some folks bought a EB and just installed it. No braking..... Gotta' install all the necessary engine/tranny software and hardware to make it work right so check with the exhaust brake mfg as they can tell you what is needed for your particular vehicle to make the EB work like it should.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

thundercloud
Explorer
Explorer
I went with the Pacbrake PRXB on my truck over the Jake Brake because of the air compressor actuated vs. vacuum pump. The Jake Brake's vacuum pump requires a longer fan belt and the pumps are prone to failure. When I researched the two companies in how the are installed they are identical with the exception of the vacuum pump vs. the air compressor. I also liked the idea of having a air compressor for other uses. It been on my truck since new and has never failed me. 12 years of service and counting.
Happy TC'N,
David

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have a 2007 with 5.9L CTD and 48RE auto.....tow a 14K 5th wheel

Installed a Decelerator Exhaust Brake in 2008.
Simple electric activated EB
Push button on dash to turn on/off
Small circuit board installed under dash
DC goes to a constant duty solenoid then to solenoid on the 4" butterfly that closes off exhaust
Smaller 2" bypass butterfly controls/regulates exhaust pressure backpressure (59# MAX)
Push on accelerator pedal and DC is removed from solenoids and large spring opens the 4" butterfly

EB does an exercise operation (close/open) when you turn key on.....checks operation and helps keep butterfly from building up any soot

Some reports of butterffly shaft bushing galling up but in 10 yrs haven't experienced any issues.
Simple and WORKS

Descending 6% grade.......in Tow/Haul Mode with EB ON truck/trailer holds 50 mph
(Combo weight truck roughly 22,000#)

US Gear Exhaust Brake
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
skipro3 wrote:
Does the truck need to be flashed for the EB to work with the auto tranny? I know it doesn't for the Getrag, not sure though on the 48RE. For the manual tranny, new wiring to the ECM informs the computer a EB is installed.

BTW, here's a link to the manual;
https://www.jacobsvehiclesystems.com/files/support/docs-pdfs/32414%20E2_Screen.pdf

No, it doesn't. There's only two thing associated with the EB that the computer takes care of. One is trans TC lockup under compression. Because this is something you want even without an EB, it is already there and working.
The other thing the puter does is allow activation of the EB when throttle is at 0%. This too is present at the computer but is a pin that is simply not used until an EB is wired in. (This step is the most scary of the whole installation but is really quite easy).
So no trip to the dealer is needed nor is any computer change.
To clarify, the wire attached to the computer doesn't tell the ECM the EB is there, that pin simply provides a negative signal for the EB relay when ever the throttle is 0%. That function is working right now but nothing is connected to it.

Any 2006 or 2007 RAM truck is ready to go as-is.
Nice huh?

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Does the truck need to be flashed for the EB to work with the auto tranny? I know it doesn't for the Getrag, not sure though on the 48RE. For the manual tranny, new wiring to the ECM informs the computer a EB is installed.

BTW, here's a link to the manual;
https://www.jacobsvehiclesystems.com/files/support/docs-pdfs/32414%20E2_Screen.pdf

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks ScottG.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke