cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any tricks for keeping kitchen drawers closed when towing?

Crambo
Explorer
Explorer
Our kitchen drawers will slide open when towing. Not a big deal but figure it couldn't be good for the rollers and rails to be sliding like that. Any tricks from the RV pros?
24 REPLIES 24

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
When we purchased ours the previous owner had placed a small dowel rod long enough to extend through the handles of all 4 drawers and rest on the floor, which we just continued doing. Hasn't been a problem so it either works well or isn't necessary.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with others. I've had all kinds of RVs over the years and never had a problem with drawers or cabinets coming open in transit. You may need to adjust you latches or hinges.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
Did something break on your draws? They should have some type of latch or something that you need to push the draw closed so it stays closed. Are all drawers opening or just certain ones.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I made L shaped latches -- I took a three inch drywall screw, put it in a vise, hit it with a blowtorch, and bent it into an L shape with pliers. (If you don't heat the metal, it breaks, I soon discovered.)

Then I cut off the head of the screw, filed it smooth, and wrapped it in duct tape. (It's not an RV project if it does not involve duct tape.)

I then screwed the L shaped screw into the cabinet next to the drawer until the bottom of the L made contact with the front of the drawer. A quarter turn to open the latch, a quarter turn to close. DW has "latch all drawers" on her pre-departure checklist. Drawers no longer open in transit.

Problem solved. Not real pretty, but not too bad, either. And cheap, too.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terryallan wrote:
I'm thinkin something wrong with your trailer. We have been camping and towing for 30 years. We have yet to have a drawer or cabinet door open. The campers we have had are designed to keep things closed. Like a rail the drawer drops behind when closed. You actually have to pick up on the drawers to open them, can't just pull them open. That is how it should be.
Took the words right out of my fingers. Are they really making trailers with drawers that can just slide open??

The only time mine come open is if I don't close them properly.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Look at Walmart for some child proof drawer latches. Cheap and easy to install and use.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crambo wrote:
Our kitchen drawers will slide open when towing. Not a big deal but figure it couldn't be good for the rollers and rails to be sliding like that. Any tricks from the RV pros?

I'm thinkin something wrong with your trailer. We have been camping and towing for 30 years. We have yet to have a drawer or cabinet door open. The campers we have had are designed to keep things closed. Like a rail the drawer drops behind when closed. You actually have to pick up on the drawers to open them, can't just pull them open. That is how it should be.

Doors have latches that catch when they close. Not easily opened. Or maybe y'all just aren't getting them closed all the way.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
After one cabinet door opened in transport, I decided to do the "ounce of prevention" thing. I took small Command hooks and stuck them beside the drawers, cabinet doors, wherever. Then use one of the small (very small) bungie cords and simply catch the Command hook and the other end on the drawer handle or the cabinet handle running the opposite direction. Never had another drawer or cabinet open or slide. Works great, and the hooks are really not even noticed if position right.

_big58ben
Explorer
Explorer
The make what is as I recall a latch called a J Latch. Check on Camping World. The good news about the latch is it has several strengths that you get. I had the same problem with our pull out pantry. The service team installed a heavy J Latch - problem solved.
Retired US Army - Loving our road trip in our Challenger 37TB

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crambo wrote:

I had the same problem with my drawers as well as some cabinets. I use bungee cords on the drawer handles, running the cord up/down and wrapped around the drawer pull. Did the trick for me. Could be the extra tension from the bungee cords was all that was needed. Did the same thing with some cabinets, same results -- they don't open.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.