cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody towing 36', 9000lb TT with F150 HD payload ecoboost

greydawg00
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new travel trailer (Cruiser Enterra 327RLS) that is 32'box, and just under 36' total length. It has a dry weight of 7500lbs and GVWR of ~9500. I am trying to decide between a 2015 F150 3.5l ecoboost with heavy duty payload package (2740 lb payload) or a 2015 F250 either gas or diesel (2700lb or 2300lb, payload).

My trailer is under all the specs of the F150 heavy duty but is very long and weighs more than the truck curb weight. Is the difference between TT weight and TV weight an issue?

Will I have any issues with the F150 or do I really need the F250? Anybody currently towing a large bumper pull with an F150 ecoboost that can give recommendations and real world MPG?
96 REPLIES 96

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Most everything said about the 3/4 ton trucks above is true. So in regard to that often generically referred to "bigger is better feeling"; A Freightliner 122SD would work even better. So why not buy the Freightliner and get an even superior "in control feeling". The reason is obvious, cost and the Freightliner is not very parking lot friendly.

I have an F250, and it is a daily driver, so for me there is a lot more to consider then that " in control feeling". I drive my F250 a lot pulling trailers; I also drive it a lot not pulling trailers. As I mentioned earlier, if I could get an ecoboost today with the heavy duty payload package and the max tow package I'd wet my pants with joy. I'd have a very good daily driver that fits in parking decks (cause that is where my work takes me at times) (i.e.: more parking lot friendly), it would fit in my garage (my F250 won't)(it's difficult to even get behind the house), it gets great gas mileage in every day use (less in gas money sounds good to me), and it is also a very capable tow vehicle. Bigger is better, if you are only considering towing. In my case, to better meets my needs - smaller is golden.

I think you need to consider all aspects of how you are going to use the vehicle. More often that not, it's not a one dimensional choice.

rsaylor3
Explorer
Explorer
Greydawg,

I bought a 2015 Cruiser Viewfinder Signature 32rlss. We started looking at smaller trailers for out needs but ended up with it. Love the unit and quality has been great. 4 trips since January a d doing our 5th next week.

We have a 2013 Chvy 1500 5.3 with tow package. I new I was at my limits with this trailer but figured I would go with it and upgrade the truck later. We live in Florida so its a little easier for us to do that.

The combo makes it, but a RAM diesel will be mine early next year before out planned trip to Gatlinburg. I have towed my trailer back to back on the same route with my father in laws 2014 Ford 250 diesel. The speed and power is great, but the biggest and bigger thing for me was the controlled feeling in the 3/4 ton. I'm not trying to win any races with either one of them, but just driving down the road it was so much more relaxing in the three quarter ton truck vs my half ton. Semis cars going by underpasses bumps uneven roads just so much more relaxing and comfortable. There's also the safety aspect of the bigger truck god forbid something happens. Can't wait to get in a bigger truck but I'll be there soon!

Another huge consideration is to make sure you get a great hitch and spend the time to set it up. I learned that from reading everyone else's messages here and very big difference once I had my Blue Ox dialed in.

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
3/4 ton
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
azwildcat99 wrote:
One point on the gas vs diesel. I like having the option to use the diesel truck lanes as the regular fuel islands can be crowded and especially tough to negotiate with a long trailer.

Also, I do agree with the 3/4 ton decision. As to people saying they are bigger, I ask how? A 6.5ft bed crew cab is the same size in a 1/2 or 3/4 ton as oneone can't get 5.5ft bed option in the HD payload package.

Good Luck!

I agree that they're not any bigger,(other than taller) but having had both, I can say the 3/4 had nowhere near the turning radius of any 1/2 ton I've had.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5”box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
I think what you will find is that diesel fuel in general is taxed at a slightly higher rate than gasoline. However, I don't know of any states that tax the diesel fuel going into a car or light truck at a different rate then the diesel fuel going into a "heavy" truck .

Oregon taxes cars and light trucks, but not heavy trucks (commercial use over 26,000 pounds). RVers have to pay the fuel tax too, regardless of weight. So... auto pumps always include tax (truckers can full out a rebate form if they fill up at an auto pump), and heavy truck pumps are either under card-lock, or the pump can be programmed for the user if it has that capability. Heavy trucks instead pay a weight-mile tax.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
I think what you will find is that diesel fuel in general is taxed at a slightly higher rate than gasoline. However, I don't know of any states that tax the diesel fuel going into a car or light truck at a different rate then the diesel fuel going into a "heavy" truck . There may be some states that do that, but it's probably limited to a 3 or 4 at most - but I don't know for sure. Diesel fuel used in "off-road" trucks (farms, mines, construction equipment, etc.) doesn't have to pay some of those taxes. But that is a completely different topic.

greydawg00
Explorer
Explorer
I thought there were regulations against use the diesel truck lanes because it is taxed differently. Also the pressure coming out of the hose at the truck lanes is much higher. This is why it pumps faster.

AMG1978
Explorer
Explorer
azwildcat99 wrote:
One point on the gas vs diesel. I like having the option to use the diesel truck lanes as the regular fuel islands can be crowded and especially tough to negotiate with a long trailer.

Also, I do agree with the 3/4 ton decision. As to people saying they are bigger, I ask how? A 6.5ft bed crew cab is the same size in a 1/2 or 3/4 ton as oneone can't get 5.5ft bed option in the HD payload package.

Good Luck!

I switched to diesel recently and I noticed the same thing too, with the ease of getting in and getting diesel over waiting for gas. Also, at some stations where everyone pumps gas, the 87 (typically) can be slow. I fill up so much faster with diesel it seems. Then there is the $1.20/gallon less right now which is nice 🙂

my 2015 F-150 6.5' bed was 156.8" wheelbase and a 243.7" OAL and 79" wide.
my 2012 F-250 6.75' bed is 156.2" wheelbase and a 246.8" OAL and 79.9" wide.

so I guess the OAL is 3" longer and 0.9" wider. Negligible to me.
2012 F-250 6.L Diesel 4x4 Lariat
2016 Forest River WA2916 35' Toy Hauler

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
azwildcat99 wrote:

Good Luck!

I know what your are saying about the fuel islands, but not all of the truckers are happy to see RVers using "Their" pumps. Even the attendants can have an attitude about it.

azwildcat99
Explorer
Explorer

Good Luck!
2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD CCSB 4X4 D/A
2012 Heartland Prowler 27P BHS
Honda EU2000i

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
2015 F150 clicky
Scroll down to page 78 and 79 for FAWR and RAWR numbers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Can someone show me where the new 2015 F150 HD has a RAWR of 4800lbs. I thought I read somewhere that it was lowered along with the GVW when Ford went to the new aluminum bodies.
The GVW is not 8200lbs anymore it's only 7850lbs.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
My point is that a people hauler is not always comparable to a regular pickup. The 2500HD receiver is now rated for 2,000 pounds which is more than the Ford or your Suburban for instance.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:

Aren't most of the differences simply because you are comparing a Suburban to a pickup truck? How do the two vehicles compare in empty weight for instance?

My point is the only concern I'd have with my supposedly heavy duty 3/4 ton towing a 7500 pound dry TT is loaded TW due to receiver strength and the HD F-150 is every bit more capable.

My Suburban weighs about 1000 pounds more than a comparably equipped 2015 HD F-150. My rear axle rating is 5500 pounds, and my estimate is 3200 pounds unloaded. Wheelbase is 27" shorter than a Supercrew 6.5' bed.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
AMG1978 wrote:
Samsonsworld wrote:
AMG1978 wrote:
the tires on the MaxTow are "P" rated tires, not "E" rated,

The HD package gets you E rated tires and a whole lot of F150's come with LTs, not passenger tires?

My 2015 F-150 MaxTow with 20" PVD chrome wheels was P rated Goodyear tires. Yeah not surprising that Max Payload would have E rated, as it should.

Not saying all do but Ford does list both a 17" and 18" LT tire as an option. Mine came with LTs.