cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody towing 36', 9000lb TT with F150 HD payload ecoboost

greydawg00
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new travel trailer (Cruiser Enterra 327RLS) that is 32'box, and just under 36' total length. It has a dry weight of 7500lbs and GVWR of ~9500. I am trying to decide between a 2015 F150 3.5l ecoboost with heavy duty payload package (2740 lb payload) or a 2015 F250 either gas or diesel (2700lb or 2300lb, payload).

My trailer is under all the specs of the F150 heavy duty but is very long and weighs more than the truck curb weight. Is the difference between TT weight and TV weight an issue?

Will I have any issues with the F150 or do I really need the F250? Anybody currently towing a large bumper pull with an F150 ecoboost that can give recommendations and real world MPG?
96 REPLIES 96

Buck50HD
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
Buck50HD wrote:
greydawg00 wrote:
So based on all comments it looks like I am going f250 or f350. Yes ford because that is what DW likes best. Also I test drove both 6.2 and 6.7. I like the diesel better. It would take a lot to get used to the gas with hp/torque at high rpm after the ecoboost.

I am not happy with the ride in either. The diesel was better I think. Both I tested were 20" wheels with a/t tires. The set on the gasser were fairly aggressive. Plan to try and find or get 18" wheels with a/s tires. Will this help the ride noticeably? Really want to try and make it at least somewhat better. The other thing that bothered me was the steering. It was very unresponsive, almost "loose" compared to my f150. I had to move the wheel a greater distance to do corrections while going down the road. I think this would get tiring while on the highway with semi traffic and constant minor adjustments requiring lots of steering input vs the very small movements of the f150. Any comments on this?

The steering ratio is lower on the super duty so that's what you are noticing. At first I did not like it but it is one of those things that really does not matter and you will get used to it. I find it a benefit when towing because any input has less effect on the rig so if I happen to be watching the scenery instead of the road and my hand moves a little, it stays between the lines longer.

I think it is more that the F150 uses a rack & pinion set up as far as "feel" goes.

That may be part of it but the ratio is lower. Sometimes feels like driving an old dump truck when making sharp turns, needing a few full turns of the wheel.
New: 2014 F250 Lariat 6.2 Crew 4x4 3.73 156", 2725 lb payload
Old: 2012 F150 XLT ECO Screw 157" 4x4 3.73LS Max Tow HD Payload, 2171 lb payload
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 285BH (7750/8800lb, 1400/1700pin, dry/loaded)

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Buck50HD wrote:
greydawg00 wrote:
So based on all comments it looks like I am going f250 or f350. Yes ford because that is what DW likes best. Also I test drove both 6.2 and 6.7. I like the diesel better. It would take a lot to get used to the gas with hp/torque at high rpm after the ecoboost.

I am not happy with the ride in either. The diesel was better I think. Both I tested were 20" wheels with a/t tires. The set on the gasser were fairly aggressive. Plan to try and find or get 18" wheels with a/s tires. Will this help the ride noticeably? Really want to try and make it at least somewhat better. The other thing that bothered me was the steering. It was very unresponsive, almost "loose" compared to my f150. I had to move the wheel a greater distance to do corrections while going down the road. I think this would get tiring while on the highway with semi traffic and constant minor adjustments requiring lots of steering input vs the very small movements of the f150. Any comments on this?

The steering ratio is lower on the super duty so that's what you are noticing. At first I did not like it but it is one of those things that really does not matter and you will get used to it. I find it a benefit when towing because any input has less effect on the rig so if I happen to be watching the scenery instead of the road and my hand moves a little, it stays between the lines longer.

I think it is more that the F150 uses a rack & pinion set up as far as "feel" goes.

Buck50HD
Explorer
Explorer
greydawg00 wrote:

Old: 2012 F150 XLT ECO Screw 157" 4x4 3.73LS Max Tow HD Payload, 2171 lb payload

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
greydawg00 wrote:

I also miss my F150's steering but the system in the SD trucks is HD, meant for hauling and taking a lot more weight than the F150. They really are apples and oranges and related only by the badges they have on the front grill. I will say that the FX4 package comes with a factory steering damper and use to be at least on my truck upgraded power steering box. It makes a worthwhile difference. When you look under these trucks and compare them to the F150, well there is NO comparison, they are just way bigger, leaf springs, axles, front coils, brakes...........
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
One comment. Too bad you are not considering a GM 2500HD.

greydawg00
Explorer
Explorer

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
My 3/4 ton sub has only 4 captains and is 100% truck. 2401lbs payload. Leaf springs. Full float axle. Rides like hell
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Buck50HD
Explorer
Explorer
I went from a 2012 F150HD to F250 6.2. With our 9000lb 5th wheel, the F150HD handled it great and I preferred it over the F250. But I always had to watch what I loaded in front storage and could not use the bed for anything extra.

Never pulled a TT with the F250 but I didn't even like a moderately sized 26'TT behind the F150HD. We have a lot of open areas and seems like 20mph+ cross wind all the time. Nothing unstable but constant twitching. The 5th wheel solved that problem:)

No complaints about the 6.2, just the chassis/suspension/ride. The extra weight of the diesel may help there. The F150HD was rough but nothing like this.

If I was forced to tow a 35'TT, it would definitely be with a 3/4 ton and a good hitch.

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
25+mph gusts are common in my area. Not sure any hitch would prevent sway.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
For about 10K miles have towed an up to 8500#, 64sqft frontal, but only 29' long trailer with a 2011 MaxTow EcoB 4x2 SCab. Currently a bit under the truck's GVWR and a little over the rear GAWR.

Wouldn't want to tow anything heavier or much longer without the HD Payload package or a SuperDuty. And even with what I'm towing, upgrading the suspension and tires of the MaxTow was essential IMHO for a stable tow. The HD Payload package would have been cheaper and better, but what I have now is OK.

But if I were towing a 35' bumper pull, would look seriously at a Propride hitch no matter what the TV. My Equal-I-Zer along with the 15% tongue weight is making for a stable tow now, but with a much longer trailer ... we've encountered some extreme side winds in our travels.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
itguy08 wrote:
What hitches are you using with the F150? We don't get blown around too much and I also tow a 35' bumper to hitch. We're using an Equalizer

I think it's an EaZ-lift? It's older than dirt. Looks like this one:

http://rvadenver.com/distri85.jpg

itguy08
Explorer
Explorer
What hitches are you using with the F150? We don't get blown around too much and I also tow a 35' bumper to hitch. We're using an Equalizer

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
The F150 definitely gets pushed around more but I don't usually get white knuckles unless a semi blows by me. THAT is not much fun. Otherwise, my truck handles my 35 footer pretty good. Mountains, crappy roads, high winds, hot temps, too much weight, this truck has handled everything I've thrown at it.

BUT like badercubed, I plan to upgrade in the not so distant future. Not because I'm unhappy with the eco, I'm actually quite impressed with it, but because a 3/4 ton would handle the load a little better. Well...that and I want 800 lbs of torque.

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 35ft bumper to ball TT that is in the 9,500lb range. I used to tow with a 2013 F-150 Max Tow but recently upgraded to a 2015 F-250 Gasser. The F-250 is just plain beefier, more substantial and handles the trailer much better. I didn't have a problem with the Max Tow, but after using both, I would pick the F-250 20 times out of 20.
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!