cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone rig up a diesel generator?

Mattyd
Explorer
Explorer
Seeing how on many class B and others are offernig a diesel generator, anyone every rig one up for their TC? For sure it would be set up so that one could disconnect the fuel supply so removal of the camper an option. Figure a way to run off the trucks diesel tank?
2016 AF 990
2013 Ram 3500 Dually, Crew Cab, 4x4 CTD
Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Torklift StableLoads & Fastguns
2014 Rubicon Unlimited
17 REPLIES 17

Leland1950
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to have the Onan just as soon as I can come up with the $5600's! Probably around 2020 or when I hit the Lottery. Until then I'll use my Honda's. Tie into the back tank, diesel is available in every place we go to.
2003 F550 2013 Flagstaff

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think I will ever buy non-inverter generator for RV use.
Did you wonder why Honda 3000EU is in average use quieter than Honda 2000EU ?
I believe that is due that bigger generator on average use run on high idle, when it is really quieter, when small generator has to go to high rpm.
Constant speed generators running 1800 or 3600 rpm are always going to be annoying no matter sound box or distance.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Bedlam wrote:
I haven't heard the Kohler's run, but even the military had some diesel powered motorcycles (I think they were Kawasaki based enduros).

http://olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_m1030_m1d.php

Yep, the venerable KLR650. Marine Corp bought a bunch of them. It was an off the shelf bike that went to a conversion place in California for the diesel conversion.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not an Onan but from the parent company http://power.cummins.com/content/rv-qd-3200.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Fleetwing
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest looking at Fischer Panda. They make light weight diesel for marine and land based
Tom and Melanie from boat to land yacht
Ventana LE

Gripnriprod
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
The Kohler KD350 is not that big:

http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/productDetail.htm?productNumber=KD350

Then you need to add the generator and frame. That's an engine only.
'11 GMC 3500hd SLT DRW D/A 4x4 Spray-in, Air Bags w/comp & controls, TL, Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 9.5t Warn, front rcvr, Fox Shocks, '11 AF 1140, DB, AC, Gen, Solar, Thermal Windows, Wardrobe, Rear & Side Awnings, 18' Lund/40hp Honda 4 stroke

Fleetwing
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to try Fischer Panda generator. They make small compact for marine and land.
Tom and Melanie from boat to land yacht
Ventana LE

Bedlam
I haven't heard the Kohler's run, but even the military had some diesel powered motorcycles (I think they were Kawasaki based enduros). There are some lighter weight diesel or multi-fuel engines out there if you look hard enough.

http://olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_m1030_m1d.php

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
The site doesn't list the decibel noise rating for the KD350. I wonder how it would compare to similar power rated non-diesel fuel generators in a similar contained space.

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

Bedlam
The Kohler KD350 is not that big:

http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/productDetail.htm?productNumber=KD350

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I made a joke on car forum putting in my profile that I am seeking diesel-powered, push-lawnmower and after few years a fellow member found one for me.
I am big diesel fan for fuel savings and reliability, but having Honda lawnmower I passed on $1700 Toro with diesel.
Same with generators.
The smallest one I found years ago was about 250lb and that was contractor-grade with high noise.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I couldn't find a small diesel either when I looked before but apparently Onan has them based on watching some youtube reviews of Bs.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Who has a small diesel generator? The smallest ones I'm finding are 5500 Watts, open frame contractor generators, weighing 240lbs, and costing upwards of $4000.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to me that a diesel generator would weigh a ton.
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X