cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ANYONE TOWING 5TH WHEEL WITH RAMBOX

bigdw58
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at the new Dodge trucks and like the Ram Box's . Not sure about a 5th wheel hitch with this type of bed. I know you wouldn't be able to open them when the R.V. is attached but would be handy the rest of the time.
2016 FORD F350 SD LARIAT 4x4
2001 Sunny Brook 27RKS 5th Wheel
19 REPLIES 19

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cajun Bill wrote:
GOrsted wrote:
If you use a Reese Revolution pin box, the Rambox narrow bed should not be an issue.

Hate to beat a dead horse, but since I've seen this same info on another thread and I'm trying to figure out how putting the Reese Revolution aka Sidewinder on my pinbox would help with the Rambox narrow bed. Doesn't it just slide the pivot point back? Or does it also lift it up enough so that it would clear the bed rails?

Instead of having a +2 ft pin box length pivoting from the centerline of the truck, the pivoting portion of the Sidewinder is much less, so when it pivots it can't hit the truck bed side rails, which are narrower in the case of the ram box. Also, the Sidewinder doesn't attach to your pin box, it replaces your pin box.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

Cajun_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
GOrsted wrote:
If you use a Reese Revolution pin box, the Rambox narrow bed should not be an issue.

Hate to beat a dead horse, but since I've seen this same info on another thread and I'm trying to figure out how putting the Reese Revolution aka Sidewinder on my pinbox would help with the Rambox narrow bed. Doesn't it just slide the pivot point back? Or does it also lift it up enough so that it would clear the bed rails?

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I didn't see anywhere where anyone said it couldn't be done...

The main question has always been: What hoops do you have to jump through, and is it worth jumping through them.

Obviously it *CAN* be done, but from the looks of things you need a very specific combination of parts, and you ultimately have to make modifications to the parts to make it work.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

ddorr
Explorer
Explorer
So they said it couldn't be done...tow a 5th wheel with my RAM the way I have set up, short bed with RAMBOX. It was a challenge but I finally got it done. My setup is a Curt 16K Hitch http://www.curtmfg.com/part/16116 with bed rails using the frame kit http://www.curtmfg.com/Search?term=16426 and what really makes it work is using the Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder http://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel-King-Pin/Reese/RP61452.html I bought the Hitch and install kit off Amazon and got a great price on both. The Sidewinder I got from eTrailer. Very good to work with! I had the hitch installed yesterday by a shop close to me and they also installed a wiring kit http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Curt/C56070.html into the bed of my truck in a spot that did not affect the RAMBOX or the bed. I have a Bakflip bedcover and it fits perfect over the hitch. My neighbor and I installed the Sidewinder on my Arctic Fox 29-5E. All I can say is that it towed great going for a quick spin around the neighborhood. Tracked well and very easy to hook up and take down. I did have to modify the handle of the Curt Hitch as it had too much pull distance but that was easy, just drilled a new hold for attaching and then cut it back a couple inches. I will get the lock tab welded back on soon but for now good to go!. Hopefully this will help others that have a short bed with a RAMBOX setup that have been told it can't be done, well it can but you just have to work at it. The issue is only that you lose the area above the wheel wells but if you get a hitch that has a handle that either rotates or that can be modified you are good. I have a buddy who did the same thing but used a Demco 5th wheel hitch. You DO NOT want to get a slider hitch with the RAMBOX. If you only have a short bed you can use a slider or what I did the Sidewinder (which I think is much better). If you decide to go with the Curt Hitch be advised that Reese Sidewinder will NOT work with the new โ€œQโ€ style, you must get the โ€œEโ€ style hitch. Has to do with the wedge that gets installed. Well hope this helps others with RAMBOX!

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fire Instructor wrote:
Since we havent completely decided on what 5'er we like best, and since I need to have a new TV before I can upgrade to a 5'er, I guess that the Rambox is not a good idea for me.

Found this box in the mean time, and I'm hoping that I can make the combination work with a standard bed.

There are 2 issues with the ram box. First is the narrow width, but that can be solved by using the Reese Revolution aka Sidewinder pin box. Second is actually using the storage while hitched to the fiver. Those compartments aren't very useful if you have to un-hitch any time you need to retrieve something.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Fire Instructor wrote:
Since we havent completely decided on what 5'er we like best, and since I need to have a new TV before I can upgrade to a 5'er, I guess that the Rambox is not a good idea for me.

Found this box in the mean time, and I'm hoping that I can make the combination work with a standard bed.
I picked up a fifth front box at tractor supply on sale in Dec. for less than 300. Works for me so far.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Fire_Instructor
Explorer
Explorer

Fire Instructor

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB

alageezer
Explorer
Explorer
It depends strictly on what type pin box the rv has. Son in laws box is about 60=70 degrees vertical. With a hitch that has short arms, it works. If your pin box comes out at more or less 45 degree angle, and the pin latches are long, you'll hit the side rails with something. The side rails on a Rambox are only 49 inches apart, where a standard box is close to 60 inches or better wide.
2011 Bounder Classic

Cajun_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
Fire Instructor wrote:
Hauling out an old post to see if anyone has more info on the subject? Looking at a new TV, and really like the Ram with Rambox option. DW is pushing hard for a 5'er that she loves the floorplan ofโ€ฆ Are the narrow-bed Rambox equipped Ram's compatible with a 5'er?

X2, looking for info on this also cuz I'm thinking Dodge for my next TV

Fire_Instructor
Explorer
Explorer
Hauling out an old post to see if anyone has more info on the subject? Looking at a new TV, and really like the Ram with Rambox option. DW is pushing hard for a 5'er that she loves the floorplan ofโ€ฆ Are the narrow-bed Rambox equipped Ram's compatible with a 5'er?
Fire Instructor

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB

GOrsted
Explorer
Explorer
Glenn (Dad) & Beth (Mom)
David & Audra (the twins - 12 YO)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (2500) 5.7 Hemi, auto, 4.56

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Don't the Ram Box's make the side rails wider? If they do you could have problems with the back of the pinbox hitting the rail in a sharp turn. I have hit the rails backing into my driveway.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

alageezer
Explorer
Explorer
Is there any more discussion on this matter. My daughter and her husband just bought one of these 3/4t's with the RamBox, and asked me what ideas I had for towing their fw. I've never seen the trailer, so don't know what kind of pin box it has. Still waiting for pictures.
2011 Bounder Classic

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
retispcsi wrote:
I saw an 2012 3/4 ton with a ram box at a dealer and it looked nice. That being said I don't think you would have room for a fifth wheel hitch. If you could fit one in it looked the pin box would damage the ram box on turns. Go look at one before you buy and measure.

I see how this could be a problem.

But with creative work-around, such as an auto-slider hitch combined with a old-fashioned shorty pin-box should take care of clearance, and still allow full turns.

But what is the bottom made out of? Is the whole box composite? If yes, they could pose a problem for mounting a 5th wheel, since the composite structure could be crushed.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST