cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone towing with a Honda Ridgeline?

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Now by "towing" I m talking pretty lightweight, plan to tow my 10' {14' overall} cargo trailer to haul my Indian Springfield - 862#, bike and trailer 2,220# or my Polaris Razr 570 - RZR and trailer 2,540#.

The Ridgeline is the RTL {Forrest Mist with Gray Leather interior... very nice} model rated at 5K# towing capcity, 18" wheels, 3:42 rear end, has the 3.5L V-6 & AWD so don't see a problem there. The single axle trailer has a bit more tongue weight than a tandem but with these numbers I am not worried.

I have been pulling both loads with our 24' Class C, V-10 with zero issues. Will continue to do so but on some of our longer trips where we don't need the accomodations of the Class C {staying with friends} towing with the Honda would make more sense {less fuel and a bit quicker pace and an even nnicer ride}.

:C
18 REPLIES 18

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Desert Captain, don’t let anyone give you grief about your Ridgeline! DD had a 2006 V6 5,000# tow rating, towed a U-Haul tandem axle enclosed trailer loaded to
4,800#, three adults, two 100#+ dogs and trunk and fourth seat full of stuff, trunk full as was the bed.
Towed from Portland, OR to Bolder, CO, I84 out of Oregon through the Blue Mts. There is a section with a 7%+ grade, pulled at 45 mph, other than that trip was a smooth trip NO WDH, No Sway bar, just correct amount of hitch weight drove like a dream.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
kw/00 wrote:
Kinda reminds me of a modern day Chevy ElCamino.

Yea but not as cool.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Kinda reminds me of a modern day Chevy ElCamino.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
Baby trucks are the best. Love my Canyon.
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
FlatBroke wrote:
Ridgeline=truck? :h :W

LMAO
I’m know it is hard for some folks to wrap their around a Honda “truck”. But trust me the Ridgeline is a truck with more payload (1577) than many half tons, AWD, 18” wheels and best of all it rides like an Accord.

I can’t do any serious towing for the first 600 miles but that will come quickly I will report back after logging some time towing in the mountains and interstates.

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ridgeline=truck? :h :W

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Yea I don’t think u will have any issues with that truck within the weight rating. Honda did a good job in designing a truck that will work for most people out there who don’t need a larger truck. I like how the tailgate opens 2 different ways also having a large truck inside the bed... u really don’t need a tool box with that trunk area. Let us know how it works out if you decide to use it to pull small campers. It should be good, I have seen one around my area that pulls a small 22 footer or so. It’s. An older couple who owns it. I know that you can add a break controller and it’s rated to tow 5k. Also Honda does build an incredible AWD system. We have an 2011 MDX with SHAWD. Absolutely incredible, have not gott that thing stuck yet even with full tire inflation on the beach. Wife loves her SUV and driving in the rain, that SUV sticks like glue to the road.

eluwak
Explorer
Explorer
My folks have a 2010, and used it to tow their HiLo all over the country. Did better hauling a trailer than my 2010 F150 4.3 did.
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 CC LB 6.0L
1998 Chevy C2500 Suburban 454 3.73 (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 EB CC 4x4 w/Max Tow (Sold) 😞
2013 North Trail 28BRS

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
More out of curiosity than concern I hooked up the 10' cargo trailer to my new Ridgeline and then proceeded to load the 1,200# RZR {RZR and trailer weigh 2,540#}. The owners manual says to measure from the bottom of the hitch to the ground before and after loading and provides a chart that spells out the approximate tongue weight as evidenced by the drop.

I use a a 3.25" drop hitch and with the loading inducing a 1.25" drop which equated to 225 - 250# of tongue weight, the trailer tongue is very slightly above dead level which happens at 16". If I load anything {or anyone} in the Ridglline that should easily have me back to dead level.

Took the rig out for a short test drive and it was amazing, still rode as smooth as an Accord and had lots of available power. At 55 - 65 I was seeing 18 - 25 mpg. The Honda equivalent of Tow Haul is their "D4" switch on the shifter and it is only recommended for going up or down steep grades while towing. On a 3 percent grade it bumped the rpms about 400 and had a negligible effect on the mileage.

Methinks I have a serious winner here and am looking forward to exploring all of the towing options this truck brings to my RV equation.

:B

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Got a coworker that has the first gen ridgeline. He tows a boat, small camper and utility trailer. He also owns a 1/2 ton Chevy, but he likes the Honda more. For me I have to have a 3/4 ton truck. Most people out there though this truck would work for them. I see nothing wrong with this truck, pulls 5k, has a unique trunk/bed, gets good mpgs, hauls 5 people. I have seen one where I live pulling a smaller 22 foot or so camper. I don’t see you having any issues. When I don’t need a 3/4 ton then I’m going back to a 1/2 ton or even midsize truck. ZR2 would be sweet, but so would the new Chevy with the 3.0 diesel.

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
A project manager at my old job had a Ridgeline while everyone else was in half-tons and 3/4 tons. He put lots of miles on his truck but would occasionally drag a 20ft enclosed trailer loaded with concrete and shotcrete equipment and he never had a problem. He also dragged a two ton rebar load on a flat deck trailer.

You should be fine.
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
LOL! Touche'. I cant touch you for miles. Great looking bike, I have a Chieftain and I really couldn't be more happy with it. However I think a ZR2 would still fit you better!
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
You should be just fine.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
ksss wrote:
I am sorry you must not have saw the fine detail on the rules for owning an Indian. It states that "during such time as you are owning, in possession of or even cosigned for an Indian Motorcycle or a reasonable copy there of, you are forbade from driving/towing such motorcycle with a Honda Ridgeline or being in possession of or driving a Toyota Prius. Violations of this rule require pulling of man card, relinquishing control of Indian Motorcycle until such time as you have come to your senses". I would suggest seeing your doctor and perhaps he/she can adjust your T levels to keep you from violating said terms of ownership. The upside is there a countless other tow vehicles to choose from to maintain compliance.

Now was that nice? You made me spit coffee all over my computer screen... LMAO! Since you get extra Man Card points when you ride the Indian 18,000+ miles a year methinks I am still good to go. :B

Here is my towing set up {taken at Buckskin Mountain SP on the Colorado River last January}:

The V-10 in our 24' C has handled it quite well but I am looking forward to utilizing our new Ridgeline as well. For day trips with the RZR using the Ridgeline will be a better combination. On longer trips to visit our friends {up in Angel Fire NM} will probably see the RL used as we don't need the accommodations of the coach at their house.

I need to go to a 4" drop for the hitch to get the trailer level at 16" but have one out in the garage. I'll post a couple of pics when I get around to hooking up the trailer. I've been told to log 500 - 1,000 miles before towing so am in no hurry.