cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone towing with mild lift kit and larger tires?

Danattherock
Explorer
Explorer
Researching tow vehicle for first camper. Likely 3/4 ton longbed and 6.5-7k lb camper. We need good off road Performance for interests aside from camping so I researched this and talked with folks. Many had jacked up trucks with 37's and such.

But still, report good towing performance based on their feedback. I won't go to that extreme, but splitting middle of two vantage points if you will. Many say stock tires, and if you use off road tire or a lift kit, you will die. Which is ridiculous. The folks saying that are folks that have never towed with a lifted truck and bigger tires in my opinion.

Then again, I don't believe all that the young bucks propose either, jacked up 4-8" trucks with huge nobbies. They as a whole are buying this stuff for looks. I'm trying to factor in all opinions. That has me wanting custom wheels for wider rims, not just looks, to support 35x12.5x18 Cooper ST MAXX tires. Very good tow ratings on this tire as I can tell, but I'm new to this so research for yourself. Would value any feedback. Specs are on Cooper site.

A 2-4" suspension lift kit, and more commonly just a leveling kit is required to prevent any rubbing at full turn. I'm comfortable with either, but won't go beyond that due to possible handling issues, excessive raising of truck center of gravity, steering stabilizers often needed, compensatory stuff. But a mild suspension high quality lift or basic leveling kit with 35's I am feeling good about. This is based on a 3/4 ton truck. What's needed for clearance varies by make/model. Some get by with heavy duty front suspension or snow plow prep options.

The folks using ST MAXX I heard from are getting 40-50k per set, report low road noise, and good handling solo or towing. And great offroad performance of course, which is what motivates this compromise. I conceed it won't tow as well as a stock truck with highway tires. I just feel the degree to which this impacts towing is vastly overstated here, and elsewhere. We all have different needs, and highway tires won't be adequate for some of my interest.

18x9 or 18x10 wheels will avoid the marshmallo effect that many get when stuffing big tires on factory rims. This is a safety issue and would adversely effect towing performance in my opinion. I have no first hand knowledge and this could be a costly experiment. But I think that's unlikely. I'm willing to give the 35x12.5x18 a chance.

Would appreciate any feedback from folks actually towing with lifted trucks with bigger tires. I've read all the criticisms from folks about this from folks that only use stock ride height and tire sizes. If you have not towed with a lifted truck with bigger tires, you can't answer my question. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate and factor in that vantage point. But I'm in need of input from people actually towing with my intended lift and tire combo.

Dan
48 REPLIES 48

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
DirtyOil wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
I'd like to know if a lifted deleted truck would still tow as well? Not sure whether or not to lift the deleted stuff off or delete the lifted stuff all together. :?

the Op was asking about a mild lift, that's all... he asked nothing about deletes.

unless he's about to do something like this...

Should be able to avoid the big rocks when off roading ๐Ÿ™‚

DirtyOil
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
I'd like to know if a lifted deleted truck would still tow as well? Not sure whether or not to lift the deleted stuff off or delete the lifted stuff all together. :?

the Op was asking about a mild lift, that's all... he asked nothing about deletes.

unless he's about to do something like this...

2013 RAM 3500 CTD Crew 4x4 Laramie
2014 Sprinter Copper Canyon 269FWRLS

GUTS GLORY RAM

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
The "Block this member" function is there for a reason...

All I get is:

"...Post not shown due to blocked member xxxxx. Click here to edit your blocked list..."

The only times ever see their post(s) are the times when someone
quotes them...to be a great reminder of why they were blocked in the
first place...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
:S

I get so tired of these threads were folks cannot shut up, leave things alone and move on.

They just pull the topic so off kilter, that the topic at hand gets forgotten in their misguided attempt to always get the last word (posting) in.

I'm not gonna point fingers, no need to.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Marty!!!

Still dealing the 'ex' after the big 'D'...so not able to spend much on this
kind of stuff....yet

Knew it was only a matter of time...and will be checking them out

THANKS !!!
-Ben Picture of my rig
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...

blt2ski
Ben,

There is a single wheel RV that has a mild lift, off road tires etc near me. So some of those "RV's" if you will, are starting to show up here in the US/NA that can do some off roading.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Hope RobertRyan stops by on this thread...he is from down under and
they have some of most intriguing trailers that I'd LOVE to get over here

He posted a video of one off roading and is where it cemented it for
me...I WANT that last one pictured !!!

offroadtrailer

[imghttp://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a186/RobRyan7/Daintree3.jpg] width=680[/img]

-Ben Picture of my rig

DirtyOil
Explorer
Explorer
Danattherock, pay no mind to shinnerblock, here's my old 2005 with 6" and 35" tires...used an Husky WD with drop stinger. Was very comfortable pulling. I installed the lift to get it out of the snow, when I first got the truck was running in deep snow to a remote gas well, took darn near 3 days in the shop to melt the snow that packed in under the hood and turned to ice. Went back to work and visited a few more remote3 wells and no packed snow! Happy camper! :B

2013 RAM 3500 CTD Crew 4x4 Laramie
2014 Sprinter Copper Canyon 269FWRLS

GUTS GLORY RAM

Danattherock
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the insights Huntindog. I really appreciate it man. Those posts generate some thought, which I value at this point.

Dan

Danattherock
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
Funny memory you reminded me of...

Have been 'beat' twice by Power Wagons. Both GREEN and old as the hills to
me when I was in my twenties with my K5 & its 1 ton suspension

Once in Idaho's Panhandle close to my secret place by the Canadian border
Set up and out checking the area (fishing) and an old guy crossed our path.
He asked how we got in there and said my Brother in Law is Simplot's granddaughters BF
So I had the combo to the lock chain...I put tow more of my own later...

Bet him to a Butt2Butt pull...Loser cooks...

Ditto a few years later in the late 70's out at Pismo. Almost the same year
Power Wagon

Lost to both, but good natured and fun stuff out there

Later...remembered that both those guys had their shank turned upside down
so that they were pulling 'UP' on my shank...GADs...got taken by an old codger...

Both those guys LOVED my BBQ'd steaks...

That's a cool story. Thanks for sharing.

Danattherock
Explorer
Explorer
sh410 wrote:
Will the Airstream have enough ground clearance to match the mods to the TV?

It's a good question. Will be putting Tuson ABS brake controller and disc brakes of their suggestion on Airstream. And will either order the 16" TT wheels from Airstream, as camper will be special ordered anyway. We are buying 30' International Serenity with twins.

But regarding trailer height, it's not something I've looked into yet. I know it is something Airstream owners have done, but unsure I need it. Part of the issue that's taking up my time is the Airstream is one of four trailers I own. So versatility is an issue.

Dan

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
sh410 wrote:
I had the same thought. The Propride and Hensely use a stinger setup with a propriatary drawbar.
Drops can be done with either, but are limited. Likely because of the way that they stop sway, puts a LOT of stress on the reciever.. Gotta keep the drop within reason for this.

Another way to address the issue is to raise the TT. But I have never seen a lifted Airstream. I have no idea of how the axles are setup on them and if this is a realistic option on them.

Since the OP has been looking at lifted GMs, I can make some fairly educated guessses on hitch height as I own a GM Dually. My TT has been raised 3.5" over stock, And I need about 3-4" of drop. (can't remember which holes its in without going to look)
Since he is looking at a 2" lift and 35" tires, he would need a drop of 9 or 10 inches to tow my lifted TT. My stock height TT would need 12.5 to 13.5" to be towed by this truck... And I am just about positive that Airstreams sit lower than my TT..

As for the other brand trucks, I doubt that the hitch heights vary enought to make a big difference.

Now go with a standard WD hich or the EQUALIZER, and longer drops are possible. I would steer away from a DC in this case because of the low ground clearance the bars frequently require for proper setup
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
sh410 wrote:
I had the same thought. The Propride and Hensely use a stinger setup with a propriatary drawbar.
Drops can be done with either, but are limited. Likely because of the way that they stop sway, puts a LOT of stress on the reciever.. Gotta keep the drop withing reason for this.

Another way to address the issue is to raise the TT. But I have never seen a lifted Airstream. I have no idea of how the axles are setup on them and if this is a realistic option on them.

Since the OP has been looking at lifted GMs, I can make some fairly educated guessses on hitch height as I own a GM Dually. My TT has been raised 3.5" over stock, And I need about 3-4" of drop. (can't remember which holes its in without going to look)

Since he is looking at a 2" lift and 35" tires, he would need a drop of 9 or 10 inches to tow my lifted TT. My stock height TT would need 12.5 to 13.5" to be towed by this truck... And I am just about positive that Airstreams sit lower than my TT..

As for the other brand trucks, I doubt that the hitch heights vary enought to make a big difference.

Now go with a standard WD hich or the EQUALIZER, and longer drops are possible. I would steer away from a DC in this case because of the low ground clearance the bars frequently require for proper setup
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW