cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone use covers over there camper?

1handyhubby
Explorer
Explorer
We're pulling the trigger and buying a new camper and want to keep it looking great. Do any of y'all use a camper cover and if so how do you like it and how long do they last? Thanks
2001 F350 Lariat V10 DRW 4x4,4.30 rear, Rancho 9000's,
Ride Rite air bags w/onboard compressor, Tork Lifts, Fastguns,
2013 Host Mammoth Happy Happy Wife!
24 REPLIES 24

NVR2L82AV8
Explorer
Explorer
I have an ADCO cover but don't use it much anymore here in the desert....it tends to keep the heat in even though its a breathable cover. In fact, it got warm enough to put some waves on the upper cab portion of camper nose (top). Took it off and the waviness has pretty much disappeared.
2013 AF 990
2003 F350 6.0L 4X4 DRW, Oil bypass filter, Coolant Filter, Blue Spring fuel pressure mod, DELO ELC, DashBoss Bluetooth engine monitor, EGT/FP gauge, SuperSprings, torklift hitch/tiedowns, 48" SuperTruss, fastguns, Kenwood CMOS Backup Camera.

tmartin000
Explorer II
Explorer II

This is a super thick truck tarp

Every other tarp on the Oregon Coast, is a joke. Every 100mph winter wind storm...they go bye bye. This monster has comfortably remained unharmed and doing fantastic.
2001 Lance 835. SOLD
2009 Lance 1191. SOLD
2021 Lance 1172

JoeVita
Explorer
Explorer
Went through two ADCO covers until I gave up and now have a Calmark Sunbrella. By sending in the camper measurements I got back a well fitting, well made cover. Yes, it is a little heavy (about 36 lbs) but I use the following technique to handle it. I lay it out on the garage floor outside up. Fold in the sides, then the top so it is about 2 ft across. Then I roll it from front to rear so I have a manageable package.

I drive the truck part way under the bull nose of the camper, step on a 2 step stool and I can roll it up the bull nose to the top. From there I get on the ladder to the roof, drag it to the rear and unroll it.

Calmark sends along material and glue to reinforce those areas susceptible to damage. I have marked those areas with chalk and clued the patches on the inner side. I think the cover will last many years.
06 Ford F-350 Crew Cab SB DRW 4x2 Diesel Automatic, Reese Class V hitch
05 Lance Max 881, Happijac Tiedowns, FastGuns with Locks, Struts,
Circle J two horse, slant load Horse Trailer
One Appendix Quarter Horse Gelding Dun Color

youngm357
Explorer
Explorer
I had a brand new cover for a 2003 Explorer I found and it fits perfectly on my 8.5' camper. Only gets down about 24" on the sides bu protects the roof and cab over.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
anutami wrote:
Buy one that is non-flammable in case you have a moment of stupidity like I did

I will admit, I returned 3 used covers they kept shipping me when I bought mine. I was pissed. Holes burnt threw them. Stuff ripped with duct tape behind the Rip. People must be screwing them up, but than return the cover saying they did not fit? Once I got an unused one I was happy. This is the same distributer most RV places drop ship from.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
djgarcia wrote:
1handyhubby wrote:
We're pulling the trigger and buying a new camper and want to keep it looking great. Do any of y'all use a camper cover and if so how do you like it and how long do they last? Thanks

My friend used one in Ariz bought from camping world for about $500. Fortunately she bought the 2 yr. warranty for any possible tears etc. for about $100. After about 1 year she went back to get her money back. Their trailer torn a whole in the cover. Take a close look at any sharp areas on your rig. It was also a pain in the butt to install and took 4 people:( The RV was a 34' 5th. wheel.

Same here, bought it from Camping World, it tore on a couple of corners and the tie down straps wore paint down on our fender skirts. It was very difficult to use, so we've gone the last five years without a cover and clean the roof twice a year and wash and wax the unit regularly.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
Buy one that is non-flammable in case you have a moment of stupidity like I did

2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
This will be my third year on the Calmark, and it looks like new. None of the several Adco covers I bought lasted more than a year and a half. The cheap ones are made from disposable fabric like you see on a home depot hazmat overall or an inexpensive car cover. The Calmark is made from Sunbrella, a marine or awning acrylic woven canvas material. There is really no comparison.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Those who are happy with their covers... How long have you had them?

From my experience there are covers that either have torn or are going to tear.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
Goldline cover here and couldn't be happier.3 BIG zippered panels,and plenty of built in cinch points.

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
HMS Beagle wrote:
The Calmark are made from Sunbrella, it is as close to indestructible in the sun as fabric gets. Marine Sunbrella will last 20 years in California or Florida. It is somewhat prone to abrasion though, so that's what you want to watch. Calmark gives you some extra cloth and instructions about protecting rubbing spots.

Some people seem to have good luck with the Adco CW covers - maybe in the winter in places were there isn't much sun? I know that after two years where I live I have to rake the pieces up with a lawn rake.

I would say you are right "in places were there isn't much sun" the Adco here in Tempe, AZ you only get 1 install when you remove it, it will tear and that is if you bought the heavy duty model.

I will be trying another brand this year.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
For people like me that camp year around, it's a P.I.T.A. I recently stopped using mine and plan on saving up for a metal carport. If a guy doesn't use his camper all winter then it might be ok, although I still got some mold and such in my wet climate using it.
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
I use and ADCO from CW for my winter season storage. A few pointers to help it last longer; keep it tight so it doesn't flap in the wind (I run a ratchet strap around the cab-over area where I pull up any slack), and I also put tennis balls over the ends of the roof drains to prevent chaffing. Purchased it in the Fall of 2013 and used for 3 winters so far, still looks like great.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
IF you have the room. I would, and did invest in a shed. You can get a metal carport put up jiffy quick, or like me have a pole shed built. Mine is 35' long, and 14 feet wide inside, with a tin roof. It REALLY protects the TT. No black streaks, no dried out roof fixtures, and the wax has not worn off between waxings.

Buy a couple of canvas covers, and the shed is paid for., and it looks nice in the backyard.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers