cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyway to monitor temps inside TT when gone for day? ideas?

jbres
Explorer
Explorer
I am going on a week long trip in my trailer this summer, and bringing all 3 dogs. During the days we will be gone at different events. Anyone know of anything I could use to monitor the temps inside my trailer while I am gone? I always fear blowing a fuse or tripping the breaking on the air conditioning while I am gone for the day, and my dogs literally baking to death inside the trailer.(I know that sounds cruel)
I need to figure something out because I cant leave the dogs at home, and I also cant bring them to the events with us each day.
I do put a lock on my panel box so nobody can "accidently" kick my plug out which has happened before.
Forgot to mention this will all take place during the hottest time of the summer, the week after the 4th of July.
Advice? Ideas?
Thanks!
43 REPLIES 43

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
We used to leave our dogs alone for a short time and ride the atv's until when we were gone once someone started shooting near by.Our Australian shepherd tried to chew his way out the window destroying the window frame....

Now if we take the dogs, they go with us everywhere or we don't go.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that here in MN, parked in the shade, the dog would be fine in the camper for a few hours if the electric goes off. Not so sure about other places though.

I like some of these ideas and if I ever get to travel more I will look into them myslef.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
Lots of parks do have a rule about unattended dogs tied up OUTSIDE.

Every place that we have stayed has had a sign posted prohibiting "leaving pets unattended" with no mention of inside or outside, I assumed that meant both inside and outside.

Have I been interpreting the signs wrong, that only means do not leave your pets unattended outside, but OK to leave in the trailer? If that's the case we may bring our dog along a whole lot more often! She hates it when we don't take her places!

Bring her along. I only know that EVERY time we saw such a sign or more often, a rule on the back of the map, we asked at the office. The response was always, OUTSIDE. 32 states,2920 nights camping.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Drew_K
Explorer
Explorer
One other thing I forgot to mention: the system I use only needs cel phone reception and does NOT rely on wifi. Most RV and state parks have unreliable wifi in my experience.
2013 F250 CC 4x4 Diesel
2014 Open Range Roamer Travel Trailer RT316RLS

Drew_K
Explorer
Explorer
We travel with 2 dogs and are in fact in Moab, Utah, right now where temperatures are reaching 95 degrees. We have dual A/C's, so I'm covered even if an A/C fails. What I worry about is a power outage, such as because a breaker trips or because someone unplugs us. Here's the system we use, which is based on what I learned from someone else on this forum:

1. Temperature alarm. We use the Control Products FA-I-CCA Intermediate FreezeAlarm. You can set a high temperature so that it will call several numbers if that temperature is reached. AND, I would say more importantly, it will also call if the power goes out.

2. Bluetooth gateway. You connect the temperature alarm and a cell phone to this so that the alarm can use the cell phone to call out.

3. Cell phone. We leave my wife's phone in the RV or you can buy a cheap prepaid cel phone. Must have bluetooth though.

4. Battery backup. You plug the Bluetooth Gateway into this so that if the power goes out, the gateway can still be used to call out.

Basically, you need a temperature alarm, a way for the alarm to call out, and a battery backup so that it can still call out if the power goes out.
2013 F250 CC 4x4 Diesel
2014 Open Range Roamer Travel Trailer RT316RLS

jbres
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all the posts ideas and responses. I am almost lost and this technological ideas is pretty much now over my head. If it helps, yes my wife has internet connection on her phone and yes were are staying at a KOA where they have WIFI. So which option is my best route if I don't want to spend a fortune on it??
http://store.lacrossetechnology.com/temperature-and-humidity-monitor-and-alert-system
or http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ISKS8HG/ref=cm_sw_su_dp

jbres
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all the posts ideas and responses. I am almost lost and this technological ideas is pretty much now over my head. If it helps, yes my wife has internet connection on her phone and yes were are staying at a KOA where they have WIFI. So which option is my best route if I don't want to spend a fortune on it??
http://store.lacrossetechnology.com/temperature-and-humidity-monitor-and-alert-system
Again thanks for everyones help!!!

or http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ISKS8HG/ref=cm_sw_su_dp

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dog Folks wrote:

Every place that we have stayed has had a sign posted prohibiting "leaving pets unattended" with no mention of inside or outside, I assumed that meant both inside and outside.

Have I been interpreting the signs wrong, that only means do not leave your pets unattended outside, but OK to leave in the trailer? If that's the case we may bring our dog along a whole lot more often! She hates it when we don't take her places!

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Big Katuna wrote:
Maybe in Minnesota or Saskatchewan it's not a problem.
In Florida in the sun when it's 98 degrees out it could get 125-130 in an RV in very little time. Would they die in an hour?

I'm not ready to find out.

Texas or Arizona would be even worse.

I guess the question is how hot will it get inside the trailer if the ambient temperature is a 100º?
I imagine my dog can survive 100º as long as he is not in direct sunlight and has lots of water.
Since I don't have any monitoring equipment and I leave my dog all the time,ultimately it is a chance I'm willing to take.

I will add if it's 100º outside, I won't spend a lot of time outdoors so more than likely I will be inside in the A/C myself!
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe in Minnesota or Saskatchewan it's not a problem.
In Florida in the sun when it's 98 degrees out it could get 125-130 in an RV in very little time. Would they die in an hour?

I'm not ready to find out.

Texas or Arizona would be even worse.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
I've just gotta' ask this since I can't understand...How does the temperature reach a level inside a travel trailer that is injurious to a dog?

I'm assuming a few things: The trailer is not parked in Death Valley, the trailer has ceiling vents and a fan can be powered, the trailer has enough ceiling insulation so that it's not just a steel box sitting in the sun, the dog is not a Malamute or Husky.

Is it that owners feel that their dog has to live in air conditioned space because the owners are uncomfortable without it? It occurs to me that dogs and humans existed through millions of years without air conditioning. Maybe I'm just blessed that I have good insulation in my rig and live in the Northern climes. Still, if I leave the roof vents open and have a fan going, even at 90f temps, the inside temps are not that much above ambient. Can be even cooler depending on location.

I agree with this post. You can leave the AC on if you're gone if you feel it's better for your dogs but if power does cut out a TT isn't like a car sitting in the sun. The TT has insulation, roof vents and isn't a small glass box.

I think the OP is overthinking this.

Unless they are planning on camping at Death Valley.
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Triple post. Forum problems.
Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Triple post. Forum problems.
Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
We have always let those in the office or at the gate know we would be gone, and would ask that they call our cell phone if the power is lost. A small note, including excessive barking is also on the camper.

Every CG we have been to, either private or state park, has had a sign that prohibits leaving pets unattended in campers. Sounds like that rule is widely ignored?

No, the rule is not ignored,. It is not that prevalent.

In the 32 states, in the past 8 years of full time, we rarely have run into that rule. We stay almost exclusively in state and national forests.

Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS