cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are slides safe to use in the closed position?

A390GT
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking for a double bunk travel trailer with a dinette and sofa in the slide.
We would like to be able to use it closed while stopped. We have two boys that will be jumping on everything and people have posted that slides can be damaged in the stowed position.
Are slide outs not capable of being used while in ? Or is it just a certain type of slide mechanism that has a problem..

Thanks,
John
65 REPLIES 65

A390GT
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for everyone's input.
As I said we stop in places where we can't always open the slide fully and also in my driveway....
I don't think it's a matter of having mirrors folded in while driving, it's more of can my mirrors fold back if there hit in the opposite direction...
So I've narrowed it down to a LAUNCH ULTRA LITE 26BHS
VIBE EXTREME LITE 250BHS
Igo 260bh
Jayco jayfeather 26bhsw
Anyone have one of these?

doxiluvr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our manual says not to use it when it is in or walk on it. It sounds like it could get bent or something and not go out or retract properly. When we are traveling we usually use the rest stop restrooms and stop at a fast food place or a restaurant and walk around for awhile. Could be different in a Class A or maybe in a 5th wheel, but our trailer manual said to stay off of it. So we have and have had no problem with it. It is a Lippert.
2006 Keystone Sprinter 300fkms
2007 Silverado 2500 Duramax Diesel 6.6 - Allison 1000 6 spd. auto. tran.
1 high school sweetheart hubby - 1 ChiWeenie - Abby
4 grown kids, 6 grandkids, 2 great-grandchildren
1 2007 Yamaha v-Star 1300

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
The support board is not a bad idea. I would need a pretty long one for my big slide, though I suppose 2 or 3 shorter ones would work....
But since I can't ever recall wanting to use the slide when I couldn't extend it... I think I will just keep on pushing the button.
It only takes 30 seconds or so, and then I can use it as designed.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer ( funfinder 189FDS ) has a schwintek slide. It's a flush floor design, so yes the inside edge is unsupported when it's pulled in retracted. However, I have looked under the carpet flap, and that piece that is the inside edge is some sort of rigid, dense plastic that is actually rather thick and seems to be pretty stout. Pushing down on it as hard as I can from there with my hand, I can't hardly flex it at all. I use my dinette regularly with the slide in. However, I can see that it would make sense to not overload that area while it's in/unsupported. I am the only one in my trailer, so I'm pretty gentle on it. I suppose if I were going to use it a lot retracted with several people, then it might make good sense to make a long thin "support board" to slip in place under that edge.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
A390GT wrote:
Are slide outs not capable of being used while in ?

SoundGuy wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't ever consider any trailer with a slide or slides that when in the stored position would prevent full use of the interior of the camper nor would I consider any in which the manufacturer warned against using whatever may be in the slide - sofa, bed, dinette, etc - unless it's been deployed.

Huntindog wrote:
Well, you will be crossing most TTs off of your list then...

Fine by me. 🙂 As I said earlier this is the first trailer we've ever owned with a slide and although it does open up the interior floor space I'd be just as happy without it and all the potential attendant issues, particularly in a couple's model where there's only the two of us roaming about the camper. Heck, we're camping, not living it in 365 days a year. :S
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
A390GT wrote:
We are looking for a double bunk travel trailer with a dinette and sofa in the slide. We would like to be able to use it closed while stopped. We have two boys that will be jumping on everything and people have posted that slides can be damaged in the stowed position. Are slide outs not capable of being used while in ? Or is it just a certain type of slide mechanism that has a problem..

Our current Coachmen Freedom Express is the first trailer of many we've owned that has a slide and although it's just a shallow sofa slide we use it all the time in the stored position, particularly since the trailer is parked here at the house during the camping season. Frankly, it's never occurred to me that it couldn't be used in whatever position it may be so I looked through the Coachmen recreational vehicle owner's manual that came with the trailer and found absolutely no warning at all to not using the slide when not deployed, the only reference being how to deploy the slide manually if need be. Personally, I wouldn't ever consider any trailer with a slide or slides that when in the stored position would prevent full use of the interior of the camper nor would I consider any in which the manufacturer warned against using whatever may be in the slide - sofa, bed, dinette, etc - unless it's been deployed. For us that would be a complete non-starter and eliminate any trailer with such restrictions instantly off our list. Since we have no current plans to replace what we have this is for us a moot point for now but it's certainly something I'd keep in mind should we ever consider buying another camper with a slide.
Well, you will be crossing most TTs off of your list then... A small slide will naturally be stronger than a large one... But with large slides and flush to the floor designs becoming more popular all the time,, it will be increasingly more difficult to find what you want in a new TT.

BTW. The link to the Truck camper slide previously posted, though interesting doesn't exactly apply here. TCs of course have very small slides, and none that I have seen are of the flush to the floor design.. Not a lot of demand for that in a TC, those customers are just thankful for any slide.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
A390GT wrote:
We are looking for a double bunk travel trailer with a dinette and sofa in the slide. We would like to be able to use it closed while stopped. We have two boys that will be jumping on everything and people have posted that slides can be damaged in the stowed position. Are slide outs not capable of being used while in ? Or is it just a certain type of slide mechanism that has a problem..

Our current Coachmen Freedom Express is the first trailer of many we've owned that has a slide and although it's just a shallow sofa slide we use it all the time in the stored position, particularly since the trailer is parked here at the house during the camping season. Frankly, it's never occurred to me that it couldn't be used in whatever position it may be so I looked through the Coachmen recreational vehicle owner's manual that came with the trailer and found absolutely no warning at all to not using the slide when not deployed, the only reference being how to deploy the slide manually if need be. Personally, I wouldn't ever consider any trailer with a slide or slides that when in the stored position would prevent full use of the interior of the camper nor would I consider any in which the manufacturer warned against using whatever may be in the slide - sofa, bed, dinette, etc - unless it's been deployed. For us that would be a complete non-starter and eliminate any trailer with such restrictions instantly off our list. Since we have no current plans to replace what we have this is for us a moot point for now but it's certainly something I'd keep in mind should we ever consider buying another camper with a slide.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
I put 3 pieces of 3/4" plywoodunder the slide when it is in , One on each end and one under the middle where the dinette seat back is located. Allows you to walk on if you really have to . I also put scoot guard (that you would put in a cabinet so things do not move)on the bottom of the wood so it stays in place when slide is put in the open position.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine are designed to be used when in. The floor of each slideout is supported by rollers. They do compress the carpet, however.

Other slideout designs may not be designed to crry loads with the slideouts closed. Manufacturers of towable RVs tend to assume that they will not be occupied when moving. If this is a requiremnt for you, then you need to check it out for each unit you consider buying, and make the lack of slideout usability a "no sale" point.

You could also look at TTs without slideouts. They might be just as usable, and for something as big as a dinette+sofa slide, not having the slide might make the trailer 500-800 pounds lighter. Or maybe less, if the TT manufacturer is using flimsy mechanisms that can't support weight when in.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ed_Gee wrote:
This seems to me one of the more lunatic discussions in awhile. The 'floor' of a slideout is no less supported retracted tha it is extended. I have never seen a retracted slide "floating" unsupported when retracted. .... Usually it is resting on its rollers. Maybe there are some really cheap units I've never seen???
You have a motorhome that is designed to be occupied driving down the road with slides in. In TT and 5er's that is not the case. Look at the two largest mfg Forest River and Keystone and I bet you find the floors do indeed float above the trailer floor. It's necessary for slide floors that are flush with the interior of the rv. They will have zero support on the front side until the slide is extended then it will rest on top of the trailer floor along with the back and side walls. If the floor is not a flush floor it will probably have support under it.

And remember the only stupid question is one that is not asked.

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
This seems to me one of the more lunatic discussions in awhile. The 'floor' of a slideout is no less supported retracted tha it is extended. I have never seen a retracted slide "floating" unsupported when retracted. .... Usually it is resting on its rollers. Maybe there are some really cheap units I've never seen???
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Dirtpig
Explorer
Explorer
EA Williams wrote:
Excellent question. Same question here but for traveling. My slide leaks when I travel, but only when it rains. There is a gap between the slide and the TT at the top when it is closed and water infiltrates. This is very visible to the naked eye. Asked Camping World Roanoke Va to fix and they could not find any wet spots inside. Granted the TT had set at their shop for over a month, with slide in, and it was a dry month. So they said their was not a problem. Anyway my question is...can I travel, i.e. tow my TT, with the slide OUT. It may not leak in that configuration thus solving my problem.

not sure i would want the slide out in traffic, u will prob clip something lol
2015 Nash 25C bumper pull /w 300watts solar my install
My Truck & RV youtube channel
2005 F-350 Diesel 4x4 CC SB SRW
2001 Honda XR400: many mods
12ft Lund WC boat & 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke on custom loader.

EA_Williams
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent question. Same question here but for traveling. My slide leaks when I travel, but only when it rains. There is a gap between the slide and the TT at the top when it is closed and water infiltrates. This is very visible to the naked eye. Asked Camping World Roanoke Va to fix and they could not find any wet spots inside. Granted the TT had set at their shop for over a month, with slide in, and it was a dry month. So they said their was not a problem. Anyway my question is...can I travel, i.e. tow my TT, with the slide OUT. It may not leak in that configuration thus solving my problem.

Dirtpig
Explorer
Explorer
brholt wrote:
For Northwood check out this video at the 4:00 minute mark.

Extending the slide out while sitting in it

Yes and i spoke with a Northwood representative and he said go ahead and use the slide anyway you want they are made for it. Its going to depend on the brand so check with your mfg to make sure its OK.
2015 Nash 25C bumper pull /w 300watts solar my install
My Truck & RV youtube channel
2005 F-350 Diesel 4x4 CC SB SRW
2001 Honda XR400: many mods
12ft Lund WC boat & 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke on custom loader.