cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

artic fox 811 on 2005 dodge ram 2500 diesel short bed??

lizwood71
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, we need some advice as we can not get a straight answer. We just bought an 811 Artic fox camper for our 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab diesel short bed truck. The artic fox dealer says it is a fine truck for this camper. But upon further research it seems to grossly exceed the GVWR weight capacity. Even if we upgraded to a 3500 Ram it seems to exceed this. How can this be possible? What part of the equation are we missing? What truck is capable of hauling this or do we listen to the dealer that our truck is fine? Just wanting to be safe. Thanks for the advice.
109 REPLIES 109

lizwood71
Explorer
Explorer
Also will he need different tie downs for the drw than the ones they installed for srw?

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
lizwood71 wrote:
Yes that's going to be a problem. Once we get the camper off the truck , buy the new truck , I don't know how we will get it back to where someone can install the new things needed. Maybe the dealer would let us bring it back to sit there and do the work in the new truck. Or maybe my husband can figure how to do it himself.

if you are going to switch to a dual rear wheel truck, buy the swing out brackets on Amazon and install them yourself while the camper is on the old truck. You don't need a dually to use the swing outs they work with SRW or DRW in the out position. It took me less than an hour using a socket wrench and a box wrench to remove my jacks swap the brackets and reinstall when I made the switch from an SRW to a DRW F350 with my Lance 1055 (4500#)
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

lizwood71
Explorer
Explorer
Yes that's going to be a problem. Once we get the camper off the truck , buy the new truck , I don't know how we will get it back to where someone can install the new things needed. Maybe the dealer would let us bring it back to sit there and do the work in the new truck. Or maybe my husband can figure how to do it himself.

Bedlam
Six bolts per jack to install the swing brackets. It's easier to do if the camper sits on the truck.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

dhull
Explorer II
Explorer II
won't he have to go to swing out brackets on the TC if he switches from a SRW to DRW. if so is that a big deal?

Bedlam
Use forums.woodalls.com when www.rv.net will not allow you to post. Same login between both sites.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Why wont this website let me post a reply!

Last time the site did that to me...it was days of frustration as I'm not a computer guy. A friend suggested I clear my cookies. It worked.
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Why wont this website let me post a reply!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

FireGuard
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're going to upgrade to a DRW, which will handle much better, take a look at the AF990. It's only 1' longer and has a gen and more water capacity and storage.
With a DRW, you can have your choice of campers and may find yourself liking the big 11' double or triple slides.
I just picked up a Lance 981 for my new SRW Ram. I'm looking at upgrades as it weighs around 4500 lbs. Campers are heavy.
I regret not getting the DRW, and may even go that route if I can make the numbers work.
No one ever regrets getting a DRW to carry a TC.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are overthinking this. Plenty of Folks running AF 811's on SRW.
Get your tires/wheels up to snuff and go camping. Driving a TC takes a few miles to get used to...by the end of the season you'll feel quite comfortable.

Get some OE steelies or if you're really worried 19.5'$. Then load up, hit the scales, and go.
You'll figure out any additional suspension mods after you have used the camper a few times.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
They are correct. The only dually is a megacab...that offers a shortbed.

lizwood71
Explorer
Explorer
Well.,,,so the plan is to break down and buy a 3500 Dually. Might as well go big or go home. But would rather find a slightly used one. Here's the problem. I called the artic fox manufacturers. He says the AF 811 with a generator will only fit on a short bed truck The dodge dealership says a 3500 diesel short bed Dually only comes in a mega cab. Not sure if that matters. But it's going to be hard to find. New is big bucks.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just pointing out again that if those are the original tires, they need replaced before you get the blowout instead of after. If you are going to replace them any way, use that money toward the 19.5s.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
FYI...my 19.5's were used with only 5k miles and paid $1200 for the set. Deals are out there.

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
A trip to the scales would be my first move. Get the true camping weight (full of propane, food, clothes, pans...everything) and then you'll figure what you need. He might find that the bags work for him...he might want more stability then I'd do the lower stableloads and maybe a swaybar, Figure $500 for both, hope he is mobile and handy enough to install himself, he will save a lot of money on labor.

Once you have the full camping weight, time to see if his tires will hold the weight. He might get lucky and just need new e rated tires...$1200 or so. If he needs more and 19.5's......that will be in the $3500-4000 range. That should set him up...also figure he needs the tie downs and brackets as well if he doesn't have them but will need that with any truck.

Hey if it helps...in CA it will cost him more in dmv fees to have and operate the dually.....something else to consider as it may help offset costs in keeping his lighter rated truck. I don't live there so maybe a CA will chime in on that.