cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attaching a step ladder without a factory mounted rv ladder

CLHEJ
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all. I have now brought home my new trailer. I have always wanted to ask why so many folks take step ladders with them, but now I understand and want to take one with me on future trips. The problem that I have is my new TT does not have a factory mounted RV Ladder going up the back.

Any suggestions or pictures from any of you that have the same challenge? Thanks in advance!!

Craig
Craig, Lillian and Aly
2016 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 367bhs
10 REPLIES 10

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
[]Before you get up there and start walking around. Call the factory, and make sure you can walk on it. "Many" Not all but many RVs with out factory ladders are NOT walk on roofs

No need, the OP has a 2016 Coachmen Apex with a walk on roof - guaranteed. 🙂

I too have an APEX. Factory says I can move around on the roof. Just not more than one, and no "dancing"
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
kalynzoo wrote:
I have a ladder that compresses into a 4x4x5' beam. They have them at camping world. It has been useful for many years, although now I no longer get up on a ladder so it is stored in the garage. It worked well in the past.

X2
Mine fits nicely in my front storage compartment and takes up very little space. Folds to 3 1/2" x 4 1/2" x 87".
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/7-double-sided-rung-ladder/20319
Very handy to remove leaves and debris before packing up to head home.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
I have one of these that stays in the storage compartment of the trailer all the time. Fairly light, and nicely compact:

http://xtendandclimb.com/products/750p.html

X2
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a ladder that compresses into a 4x4x5' beam. They have them at camping world. It has been useful for many years, although now I no longer get up on a ladder so it is stored in the garage. It worked well in the past.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
[]Before you get up there and start walking around. Call the factory, and make sure you can walk on it. "Many" Not all but many RVs with out factory ladders are NOT walk on roofs

No need, the OP has a 2016 Coachmen Apex with a walk on roof - guaranteed. 🙂
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
CLHEJ wrote:
Hey all. I have now brought home my new trailer. I have always wanted to ask why so many folks take step ladders with them, but now I understand and want to take one with me on future trips. The problem that I have is my new TT does not have a factory mounted RV Ladder going up the back.

Any suggestions or pictures from any of you that have the same challenge? Thanks in advance!!

Craig

Before you get up there and start walking around. Call the factory, and make sure you can walk on it. "Many" Not all but many RVs with out factory ladders are NOT walk on roofs
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
I have one of these that stays in the storage compartment of the trailer all the time. Fairly light, and nicely compact:

http://xtendandclimb.com/products/750p.html

AmericalVette
Explorer
Explorer
My last rig had a ladder, and I used it. My current one does not have a ladder, even though it is a 'walkable' roof. I'm just no longer nimble enough to use the straight-up position of the factory ladder. However, I do have a little-giant ladder that works quite well and is much safer for me. When collapsed it is very manageable and goes in the back of my TV each trip.
Times fun when you're having flies!

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a telescoping ladder and store it inside in a storage location, works perfect for a TT or other RV. If you have a slide-out, you will probably want to brush off leaves/needles before bringing the slide in and the ladder is perfect for that.
I love me some land yachting

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Here's how I do it. That' a 7 foot step ladder. If I need to get on the roof, I do that at home, not when camping. I have taller ladders at home. The 7 foot ladder lets me reach the tops of the slide out to brush the off before pulling them in. The construction workers shell on my truck bed has served VERY well for years and years now, on 2 different trucks. I figured out how to carry the ladder this way, only a few weeks ago. Normally, I'd just lay it on the floor, or on top of everything else. But this works. No need to have a ladder attached to my travel trailer.