cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Attack of the Blob!

BrentB
Explorer
Explorer
I know there are many threads about how to sanitize tanks, and I have done that, but I still have a problem. While using my water pump, water would flow ok for a while, then slow to a trickle and stay there. I finally discovered that the pump filter was clogged with algae. I cleaned the filter, but the same thing happened again, so I decided to take a look in the tank and found that there are large chunks of algae in there.

This gunk is not fazed by bleach, even at 200 ppm, and is too big to drain through the tiny 3/8 inch drain hole. I would love to scrape and scrub the inside of the tank to get rid of it, but of course the problem is gaining access. My first thought was some kind of access port, but I am having difficulty finding something that I think would work.
I found this, but it seems too small: https://www.marinesan.com/Holding-Tank-3-Clean-out-Kit-p/307238685.htm
I found this, but it seems too large: http://www.hendersons.co.uk/boattank/Tank-access.html
And Iโ€™m not sure if either will withstand the pressure of being submerged. (There is no access to the tank from above.)
I also thought of installing a larger drain fitting, hoping that the gunk will drain out, but I see that the spin weld fittings require a router, not a drill, and I donโ€™t want to buy one of those. The only access to the tank is from the bottom or one end and the tank is about 4-5 feet long.
I just ran across this, not sure if it would work to build a larger drain: https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=89951
I really want to clean the gunk out without removing the tank as that is not easy to do.
Does anyone have any other solutions that I havenโ€™t thought of?
33 REPLIES 33

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

BrentB
Explorer
Explorer
Let's try this: (seems like an onerous way to have to load photos.)
[img] Click For Full-Size Image.[/img]

BrentB
Explorer
Explorer
By the way, I have a photo of the stuff, but I see no way to post a photo that is on my computer. Am I missing something? It's easy to do on all the other forums I visit.

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
BrentB wrote:
This sounds like it could work, but is it safe for a potable water system?

Safer than that green s**t growing in your tank..LOL.

Drain... fill with water....take it on another drive, drain, fill, drain.

They put it in pools that people swim in....so if you're fully rinced there should be no problem.

Anyways, I always bring a 5 gallon jug of water from home for drinking.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I second the pool shock, but look in the hot tub section as they are typically around 200 gallons instead of 10,000 gallons. On the positive side the shock is many times sold in plastic containers so I doubt it will damage the tank.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

BrentB
Explorer
Explorer
MSchu wrote:
once it's drained and flushed it should be fine. Pools use it all of the time, and I don't think you can get in a pool without accidentally drinking at least a little water.

OK, Thank you.

MSchu
Explorer
Explorer
once it's drained and flushed it should be fine. Pools use it all of the time, and I don't think you can get in a pool without accidentally drinking at least a little water.

BrentB
Explorer
Explorer
#1nobby wrote:
MSchu wrote:
Before replacing the tank, I would try some pool shock treatment first. That is meant to get rid of almost all algae and bacteria growth, and should be stronger than the bleach. Give it some time to work, and it might take few applications if there is a lot of algae in the tank. It should kill everything and break it up enough for it to flush out.

And while you are shocking it.....take the TT down some bumpy, curvy roads.
This sounds like it could work, but is it safe for a potable water system?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bleh!!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Use the tank for shower water, toilet, & doing dishes. Get some 3 gallon jugs for drinking water, .25-.35 a gallon to refill.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
MSchu wrote:
Before replacing the tank, I would try some pool shock treatment first. That is meant to get rid of almost all algae and bacteria growth, and should be stronger than the bleach. Give it some time to work, and it might take few applications if there is a lot of algae in the tank. It should kill everything and break it up enough for it to flush out.

And while you are shocking it.....take the TT down some bumpy, curvy roads.

MSchu
Explorer
Explorer

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
Not knowing exactly what is in that tank I would take no chances and replace it ASAP. I would also do my best to replace the suction line as well. As was said earlier, " Life is too short." Could be shorter or less comfortable if you don't do this right.
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure it is algae? Normal green algae is very sensitive to chlorine and would die quickly with regular household bleach, even at 10 PPM.

I think you have something else going on in that tank. Even if you were to remove the tank, the inlet is about 3/4 inch to an 1 inch. Doesn't leave much room to get into the tank. Just replace it.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you have a non pressurized tank fill how about rigging up a suction tube to a wet dry shop vac and feeding that down the inlet? Might be able to suck up the algae.