cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Attention 7.3l owners!

RooDude09
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2001 f-250 7.3l with almost 99k miles on it. I tow a tt about 7500 pounds here in California. I was wondering what modifications any of you have made to assist towing. I'm not looking to dust people with black smoke but I do feel there are some modifications that could be done to help on the inclines. I feel the truck lugs a little and any incline causes a downshift. What have you guys done to your trucks? So far I have the 6.0l trans cooler and a banks exhaust that was on it. It's a "cat back" system although it doesn't have a cat. Any suggestions are appreciated.
29 REPLIES 29

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
mec500 wrote:
I have a 2002 f350 with the 7.3 and tow a 13000 fiver and a 5500 boat. The mods have been a trans cooler,ford AIS intake
Exhaust and a dp tuner I leave on 60hp mountains It pulls great, I do have to drop to second to tow the fiver up the g**** vine at 55 but I don't think that's a big deal I also tow a lot of winding mountains and it does good there as well.the new trucks look nice but I would rather keep the 7.3, easy and cheap to maintain and still considered a a great truck after all these years

55 in second gear ,please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :R

mec500
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2002 f350 with the 7.3 and tow a 13000 fiver and a 5500 boat. The mods have been a trans cooler,ford AIS intake
Exhaust and a dp tuner I leave on 60hp mountains It pulls great, I do have to drop to second to tow the fiver up the g**** vine at 55 but I don't think that's a big deal I also tow a lot of winding mountains and it does good there as well.the new trucks look nice but I would rather keep the 7.3, easy and cheap to maintain and still considered a a great truck after all these years

jasult
Explorer
Explorer
I have 3 Ford 7.3 Powerstrokes, 2 for business and I just picked up a 99 Superduty DRW with 150000 miles with a bad converter that had the marble sounds. The 99 is stock except for Hydra chip with set of gauges and I installed a muti disk converter plus 6.0 cooler. I paid four thousand for the 99 because every one was afraid of the noise converter made. I new the seller well and the truck was well taken care of but the noise was the kicker. I also installed the 05 superduty headlights after cutting out the header with a template to follow.

Jim & Georgeanne + Lucie the beagle
"excavator" on the DieselStop.Com
1999 F350 CC LB Hydra chip
1996 F250 Powerstroke, Tony tunes, BTS trans
1995 Fleetwood Wildness 30 ft 5ver

Our Camping Pics and 5ver Album here
Our Gettysburg trip 2010
Williamsburg, Va

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
if you have the 6.0 cooler would the deeper pan be all that much of advantage?? In reading some stuff on FTE, ford truck enthusist http://www.ford-trucks.com/, the 6.0 will keep the trans fluid cool pretty much in every condition short of overheating the engine.

on the sonnax valve body, are they comparable with the John Woods or Brian Truck valve bodys everyone is talking about?

I agree on the multi disc TC being a bonus.

good info for sure..

nremtp143 wrote:
As far as the tranny is concerned, you've already put on the 6.0 cooler, now you need a multi-disc converter, Sonnax valve body and a deeper pan to help on those really long uphill pulls. These 4R100 trannies can be built to haul some serious weight nowadays and stay cool doing it. Around here a complete rebuild to tow runs between $2202 and $3400 depending on what all you want done. A friend of mine spent 19 years building and re-building them at Ford dealers all around here and now has his own shop and in covered up with people wanting the 4R100s built to pull.
Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
As far as the tranny is concerned, you've already put on the 6.0 cooler, now you need a multi-disc converter, Sonnax valve body and a deeper pan to help on those really long uphill pulls. These 4R100 trannies can be built to haul some serious weight nowadays and stay cool doing it. Around here a complete rebuild to tow runs between $2202 and $3400 depending on what all you want done. A friend of mine spent 19 years building and re-building them at Ford dealers all around here and now has his own shop and in covered up with people wanting the 4R100s built to pull.
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Kevin O. wrote:
up2nogood wrote:
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:
My 2000 will almost run with the new ones.
Check my sig for mods....it runs like a raped ape, no smoke.

For performance, I recommend full exhaust larger diameter (major player in lowering EGT exhaust gas temps) , 16 position tune shift on the fly chip like PHP Hydra, billet compressor wheel for the turbo like Riffraff or Wicked Wheel 2.

6.0 cooler is awesome isn't it?

With those 3 mods you can run an 80hp tow tune that is really 100 with the billet wheel.
No smoke and waaaaay better transmission shifting!

The key word is almost, and its a distant almost to the new ones . Owned ,and towed for nearly 16 years with a 99 Superduty 7.3 with all the standard mods. 6.0 intercooler, and tranny cooler ,exhaust .AIS intake , DP tuner. It ran great, pulled the mountains better, lower ETG's etc etc etc, and it still does not come close to comparing to my new 2014 diesel, not even close.
They definitely don't compare to today's torque monsters with the 6 speed transmissions and if you can afford one then more power to ya! But properly setup the 7.3L is certainly no slouch.. I don't have the extra cash to drop $60,000+ on a new truck plus have to deal with the $900+ a year for property taxes.
My truck does everything I ask of it, It's paid for, I don't have to worry about emissions, don't have to add any DEF fluid, and I'm willing to bet she shines just as good as your 2014! :B

I'm sorry you missed the point, my point wasn't whether you could or could not afford a new truck. I simply pointed out that ,yes the 7.3 is a great motor, but yesterdays truck as far as power, nothing else. I will challenge anyone who compares a 7.3 to todays diesels . I bought new ,and drove a 7.3 as said for nearly 16 years, I know exactly how they perform.

All I can say is make that 7. 3 last because if not there will come a day you will have to put up with DEF, emissions etc. After the 7.3 ford didn't have a truck really worth buying until 2011. So enjoy that 7.3 all you can.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
RooDude09 wrote:
That is my exact feeling Kevin. I'm a Ford technician and even with my discount I can't afford a 6.7. I have the abilities to do any repairs or modifications to my 7.3 and its paid for so why go into debt?

You guys have some great points. I am at the place Where I simply can't afford a new diesel...and the out of warranty repairs on the newer diesels is astronomical....people complained about the 6.0 PSD but the cost to bulletproof one of them is a fraction of say....a HPFP failure on a CP4 equipped truck alone.

There is a real reason why older diesels hold their value so well...especially for a nice example.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

RooDude09
Explorer
Explorer
That is my exact feeling Kevin. I'm a Ford technician and even with my discount I can't afford a 6.7. I have the abilities to do any repairs or modifications to my 7.3 and its paid for so why go into debt?

Kevin_O_
Explorer
Explorer
up2nogood wrote:
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:

For performance, I recommend full exhaust larger diameter (major player in lowering EGT exhaust gas temps) , 16 position tune shift on the fly chip like PHP Hydra, billet compressor wheel for the turbo like Riffraff or Wicked Wheel 2.

With those 3 mods you can run an 80hp tow tune that is really 100 with the billet wheel.

The key word is almost, and its a distant almost to the new ones . Owned ,and towed for nearly 16 years with a 99 Superduty 7.3 with all the standard mods. 6.0 intercooler, and tranny cooler ,exhaust .AIS intake , DP tuner. It ran great, pulled the mountains better, lower ETG's etc etc etc, and it still does not come close to comparing to my new 2014 diesel, not even close.
They definitely don't compare to today's torque monsters with the 6 speed transmissions and if you can afford one then more power to ya! But properly setup the 7.3L is certainly no slouch.. I don't have the extra cash to drop $60,000+ on a new truck plus have to deal with the $900+ a year for property taxes.
My truck does everything I ask of it, It's paid for, I don't have to worry about emissions, don't have to add any DEF fluid, and I'm willing to bet she shines just as good as your 2014! :B

KEVIN :C
DW-Debbie :R
DS-Tyler 11yrs old:D
DD-Makayla 8yrs old:p
MERIDEN,CT
2001 Ford Powerstroke F350 Lariat
2012 Keystone Outback 292BH-OLD
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS-NEW

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
My old (2000) 7.3 has 199,000 miles on it. Have been towing a 12,000 5er for last 6 yrs and a 8,000 TT from 2000 to 2008. It has a Banks Stinger Kit ( I think 68 HP )don't remember the added torque but it has been chipped since 30,000 miles. Im on the original transmission and it made a big difference. Last summer it and the 5er went up Vail Pass at 55 MPH in 3rd gear. The lighter trailer I had before chip when up Vail Pass at 40 MPH in 2nd gear
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

_40Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Do the exhaust brake mod and make sure the 3rd brake light is functioning. That 7.3 will last forever.

Then, if you want to get into some preventive stuff, there is a plug on the back side of the HPOP. Replace the small o-ring. The water drain valve on the fuel filter is about to leak or already is. Replace it too. Toss a Cam sensor, cheap 10mm socket and a ratchet in the glove box.
2013 Arctic Fox 22GQ
2011 Ram 2500 CC LB CTD G56 3.42 Mineral Gray

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:
I've had good luck with Hypertech tuners. Safe, moderate power increase. Add an exhaust system too. Skip the "cold air" intake garbage. They are inferior at filtration and add zero power.

Actually there is one and it is an OEM Ford .
It is the severe duty Ford AIS air box and Donaldson filter....they make filters for the A1 Abrams tank I believe.
I'm pretty sure nothing outflows or outfilters it.

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
read the articles: