cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attwood Water Heaters

Chanacres
Explorer
Explorer
Folks, could someone tell me if the Attwood Water Heaters for a travel trailer is the best one to to buy for a replacement. I am fairly new to the RV world, but my experience with this water heater has not been good. I have heard they are notorious for problems. I need to replace mine and if they are troublesome, I want to look for a alternative. Last problem was the thermostat, now its the tank leaking at top and my brother is having problems with his in his A-Motorhome. I think his problem is going to be the whole electronic panel in the upper right corner that the ignitor wire plugs into. He has replaced everything else on it. It will light and run for 10-30 minutes and then just go out and will not restart. We changed the least expensive things on his and now the 200+$ panel is all thats left. A friend is having problems with his as well. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I don't want to buy another problem!-----Thanks!----BTW, enjoy your forums!
10 REPLIES 10

Chanacres
Explorer
Explorer
The 10 gal Attwood in my brothers Motor home will light and run for 10-30 min. then go out and not 're-light unless it sets awhile. Any ideas on what would cause it?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Bad ECO or thermostat

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Chanacres
Explorer
Explorer
The 10 gal Attwood in my brothers Motor home will light and run for 10-30 min. then go out and not 're-light unless it sets awhile. Any ideas on what would cause it?

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
We have a suburban in our C and an Atwood in our A. We are full timers since the last 10 years and one or the other is on whenever we are in one of the coaches. I had control board go in the Atwood 8 years ago. Has worked flawlessly since. I had an on/off switch go in the suburban about 6 years ago, it has worked flawlessly since.

I have had experience with the various on demand systems in my line of work (seasonally employed in parts, service and sales in the RV world). All were troublesome to some degree and overall customer response has been poor although a few liked them. It would not be something that I would choose at this time.

JMHO
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Chanacres
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your comments. It sure helps when experience is offered. There's nothing better. I guess I will replace mine with the Attwood, but I'm researching the tankless options as well. Thanks Again

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Because of the PHYSICAL size differences between Atwood and Suburban you are better off STAYING with the brand that you have.

The Atwoods are a bit taller and wider than the Suburbans and the Suburbans are a bit deeper in to the camper than the Atwood.

My TT originally had a Suburban but the previous owner replaced it with a Atwood, to get the Atwood in the PO removed and DISCARDED the Foam INSULATION :S That was the ONLY way it would fit.

I altered the opening in order to PROPERLY fit the Atwood.

I had a HARD time FINDING just the insulation, just not something that everyone carries. Cost me $50 for the insulation PLUS oversize shipping charge of $25 on top of that :M

clangille
Explorer
Explorer
I have had both Suburban and Atwood water heaters. I prefer Atwood over Surburban. I found that a 6 gal Atwood was able to provide hot water for a longer period. That could be because of the thermostat setting as mentioned by Old-Biscuit.
1st was 2009 Laurentian Ranger 190xp (written off in 2011, water damage)
2nd was a 2000 Keystone Sprinter 315BH
3rd was a 2006 Pilgrim 312BHSS
Now 2012 Forest River Salem 36BHBS

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can install either Suburban or Atwood.
It's just easier to stay with same brand/same size as the framed opening sizes are different.

Both have their good and bad.
Suburban....glass lined/steel tank...need anode rod
Atwood....aluminum alloy tank...no anode rod

Suburban.....separate set of t-stats for electric and propane
Atwood...only one set of t-stats for both electric and propane
Lower preset t-stat on Suburban vs Atwood....other preset temps available and Atwood has an adjustable t-stat replacement.

Suburban.....3/4" drain hole (because of anode rod)
Atwood......only 1/2" drain hole

Other than that not much difference between the two.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 6 gal DSI model that is over 14 years old.
Has been used for full time the last 10.
Only problem I have had so far with it has been one thermal fuse blown in it.

Never have done any maintenance to it other then flush the tank about every 2-3 years when I think about it.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I have always had the Atwood water heater in my rigs.
First was a pilot model and the last two have been the DSI model.
I prefer the Atwood aluminum tank over the Suburban glass lined steel tank.
Most of the problems people have with water heaters is lack of maintenance.
The burners need to be cleaned, electrical connections cleaned and treated with electrical grease.
The ECO and thermostat need to be tight against the tank.
There is a thermal fuse normally hidden behind a piece of tubing near the ECO/thermostat. These can create problems. sometimes they go open intermittently.
DSI electrical connection behind the gas valve gets corroded and will not activate the gas valve.
The circuit board from Dinosaur electronics should be around $100 if needed.dinosaur electronics
Factory boards are not worth the extra dollars.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker